Illegal to drink your own milk?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Illegal to drink your own milk?

Post by TCRanch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:29 pm

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Illegal to drink your own milk?

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Don’t know if it’s true yet, but looks like it may be in the works. I understand not being able to sell it but personal consumption should be at the discretion of the individual. Maybe it’s like shine liquor. The govt wants to tax it so the prohibit it.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Don’t know if it’s true yet, but looks like it may be in the works. I understand not being able to sell it but personal consumption should be at the discretion of the individual. Maybe it’s like shine liquor. The govt wants to tax it so the prohibit it.

I don't see why we can't sell or trade between us as citizens of the US of A. It makes one wonder who's working for who.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Don’t know if it’s true yet, but looks like it may be in the works. I understand not being able to sell it but personal consumption should be at the discretion of the individual. Maybe it’s like shine liquor. The govt wants to tax it so the prohibit it.

I don't see why we can't sell or trade between us as citizens of the US of A. It makes one wonder who's working for who.

I would say because, regardless of the fact that many people drank raw milk for years, there are definitely risks to drinking unpasteurized milk. Namely being the fact that a lot of people don’t know how, or simply neglect, to take proper care of milk between the cow and the glass. Therefore potentially endangering some unsuspecting customers, either through the consumers ignorance or through misleading them. These particular type laws are to protect uneducated or unknowing consumers.
I still think one should be able to drink milk from his own animal. And I also think if the consumer signs a waiver or some kind of document acknowledging that he or she fully understands the risks then the transaction between individuals should be allowed and with no liability to the seller. Just my :2cents:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I would say because, regardless of the fact that many people drank raw milk for years, there are definitely risks to drinking unpasteurized milk. Namely being the fact that a lot of people don’t know how, or simply neglect, to take proper care of milk between the cow and the glass. Therefore potentially endangering some unsuspecting customers, either through the consumers ignorance or through misleading them. These particular type laws are to protect uneducated or unknowing consumers.
I still think one should be able to drink milk from his own animal. And I also think if the consumer signs a waiver or some kind of document acknowledging that he or she fully understands the risks then the transaction between individuals should be allowed and with no liability to the seller. Just my :2cents:

Giving or receiving food poisoning is definitely not my idea of free trade. But I feel like there's more danger of getting poisoned from all the hands that food has to go through before it reaches the table. Some people are just nasty.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Giving or receiving food poisoning is definitely not my idea of free trade. But I feel like there's more danger of getting poisoned from all the hands that food has to go through before it reaches the table. Some people are just nasty.

I couldn’t agree more. Some people are definitely nasty. And even some who are not nasty are just “unclean”. Maybe one in the same. I think that’s the main principle behind not being able to sell raw milk. But I still don’t understand why one can’t drink from their own cow.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Here is an article on Dr. Briggs. I figured when he was wanting to outlaw raw milk drinking he would be a Democrat they want to take away the freedoms you enjoy.

https://www.tngopsenate.com/2018/12/07/ ... al-health/

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Imagine getting hauled before the courts for drinking milk from your cow. Having a jacket over your head while the tv crews try to get a look at you. Imagine being caught milking the cow, cop pulls his gun out "sir, back away from the cow!!"

My grandfather would roll over in his grave if a law like that came in here.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Post by boondocks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Seems like it prohibits selling raw milk in "herdshares"--ie, where a farmer sells (or "sells") shares in a cow/goat and the buyer (sorry, "owner") gets that % share in the production. On its face, it prohibits the consumption of raw milk from an animal you don't wholly own. https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0015/2019

Note--I'm not advocating pro or con, just pointing out that it doesn't seem intended to prevent farmers from drinking raw milk from their own animals--just from selling "shares" in the animal as a work-around to try to avoid the laws preventing the selling of raw milk to the public.

I think a lot of the FDA folks are Netflixin-and-chillin these days though, so maybe it's raw milk for everyone? :lol:

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am

It was amended just 2 days ago to allow cow's full owner to drink their own milk.

SENATE BILL 15
By Briggs
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 53,
Chapter 3, relative to milk products.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 53-3-119, is amended by deleting the
section and substituting instead the following language:

A person who is the sole owner of a hoofed mammal may use the milk from the
animal for the owner's personal consumption or other personal use. This section does
not apply to a person who owns a partial interest in a hoofed mammal.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring
it.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 pm

I was talking with a dairyman many years ago. A friend of theirs ask them if they could watch her son one evening, which they said no problem. She told her son not to drink any milk unless it had been pasteurized.

They were getting ready to eat dinner and when the boy saw milk being poured, he said that his mom didn't want him drinking any milk that wasn't pasteurized. The farmer said, well the cows have been out on pasture all day!

The kid drank 3 glasses of milk!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Here is an article on Dr. Briggs. I figured when he was wanting to outlaw raw milk drinking he would be a Democrat they want to take away the freedoms you enjoy.

https://www.tngopsenate.com/2018/12/07/ ... al-health/

I pretty much expected he was bought and paid for.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

A good friend of mine owns a dairy. They always drank raw milk out of the tank. When his son was about 5 or so they went to a friends house for dinner. The son was poured a glass of milk. He started to drink it and spit it all over the table exclaiming what is that. The people said it is milk. The boy said I know milk and that ain't milk.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 am

boondocks wrote:Seems like it prohibits selling raw milk in "herdshares"--ie, where a farmer sells (or "sells") shares in a cow/goat and the buyer (sorry, "owner") gets that % share in the production. On its face, it prohibits the consumption of raw milk from an animal you don't wholly own. https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0015/2019

Note--I'm not advocating pro or con, just pointing out that it doesn't seem intended to prevent farmers from drinking raw milk from their own animals--just from selling "shares" in the animal as a work-around to try to avoid the laws preventing the selling of raw milk to the public.

I think a lot of the FDA folks are Netflixin-and-chillin these days though, so maybe it's raw milk for everyone? :lol:

Exactly, I was starting to wonder of no one bothered to read the article.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 pm

boondocks wrote:Seems like it prohibits selling raw milk in "herdshares"--ie, where a farmer sells (or "sells") shares in a cow/goat and the buyer (sorry, "owner") gets that % share in the production. On its face, it prohibits the consumption of raw milk from an animal you don't wholly own. https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0015/2019

You can sell it and drink it here in Texas. About the only limitation is that is has to be sold off the farm not in farmers market etc. One of the few dairymen I know making money is selling his to a Mennonite type homestead group. Only requirement is cattle have to be fed Non GMO feed. They pay him about double what a milk coop would pay dairy owners. He's loving it.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????