Illegal to drink your own milk?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Illegal to drink your own milk?

Post by farmerjan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 pm

For a list of states and their requirements, go to "Real Milk.com" . It is the site from the Weston A Price foundation. It has a list of every state, current regulations, herd shares etc. Here in Va it is prohibited to sell raw milk, but many do it on herd shares or cow shares. Also. Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund is a legal group that has a "course" for farmers to take to make sure they are aware of all the intricasies of raw milk. They also are involved with supporting and helping with legal contracts etc. FTCLDF has represented the farmer in California (? maybe got the state wrong) several years ago in a fight about raw milk and such.
At an average of $5 to $7 a HALF gallon, raw milk sales, or cow shares, can be the only way a dairy farmer can make it pay. Or the ones that can do things like cheeses etc., and sell at farmers markets. Here it has to cheeses that are made using pasteurized milk. In Vermont, the famous Cabot Cheese company has a raw milk cheddar that we used to get when I lived in Conn.. and belonged to a food co-op. Vt allows milk to be sold from the farm and maybe even allows it to be sold at farmers markets... I can't remember.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 am

I thought I had replied to this thread previously, but maybe I didn't. The Tennessee Bill is a result of 10 kids being hospitalized (4 in the ICU and some almost died) as a result of drinking contaminated milk from a herd share dairy. This all happened in Knoxville and that is where Dr. Briggs is a physician. The realized the mistake in the bill and now it has been amended to exclude drinking milk from your own cows.

Now if we could just get something passed that would allow you to drink your own "corn" byproducts :lol:

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 am

sstterry wrote:I thought I had replied to this thread previously, but maybe I didn't. The Tennessee Bill is a result of 10 kids being hospitalized (4 in the ICU and some almost died) as a result of drinking contaminated milk from a herd share dairy. This all happened in Knoxville and that is where Dr. Briggs is a physician. The realized the mistake in the bill and now it has been amended to exclude drinking milk from your own cows.

Now if we could just get something passed that would allow you to drink your own "corn" byproducts :lol:

You did but it was lost when the site went down. Thank you for the additional info.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 am

We milked upwards of 60 cows when I was growing up. I couldn't stand the taste of the watered down store bought milk or ice cream. Nothing like skimming the cream off the top and making ice cream and put a few strawberries and blueberries in it. IF I ever got sick from it I didn't know it.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 pm

The Senator who is sponsoring the Milk Bill in Tennessee was on a political talk show today. Over two years 26 kids were hospitalized from drinking raw milk from various farms in his county alone. Nine were placed in Intensive Care and one 4 year old had to get a kidney transplant from a parent. This is the reason for the Bill.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:29 pm

I totally agree raw milk sales for consumtion should be banned as it is here. I would simply never trust anyone to handle raw milk for me to drink. What someone thinks is hygienic is different to the next person. Having said that i grew up on raw milk but we had our own cow. What we didn't use today was given to the animals tomorrow.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm

HDRider wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm
hurleyjd wrote:Here is an article on Dr. Briggs. I figured when he was wanting to outlaw raw milk drinking he would be a Democrat they want to take away the freedoms you enjoy.

https://www.tngopsenate.com/2018/12/07/ ... al-health/
I pretty much expected he was bought and paid for.
"

Go to his link and then click "About" and get a good laugh. Man can't even spell.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm
HDRider wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Here is an article on Dr. Briggs. I figured when he was wanting to outlaw raw milk drinking he would be a Democrat they want to take away the freedoms you enjoy.

https://www.tngopsenate.com/2018/12/07/ ... al-health/
"

Go to his link and then click "About" and get a good laugh. Man can't even spell.
I fixed it.
This page will be about coin
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:54 pm

HDRider wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 pm
Jogeephus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm
HDRider wrote:

"

I fixed it.
This page will be about coin
:lol: :lol:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.