Your choice of 1911.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:Rock island makes a solid 1911. I prefer my kimber custom 2 but I don't think the quality is the same as they were 15 years ago. I'd love to have an old colt

Had a WWII uncle was a Marine Sniper that made the beach landings on Guadalcanal,Iwo and Okinawa.
He gave me my first 1911 bought out of a tub at the Army Navy store.
He would pick up a pistol and shake them, if it didn’t rattle he would put it back saying that pistol will get you killed. He would find one that was loose and would say this pistol will work full of mud or sand.

I heard the same stories. First 1911 I shot was a military issue my Uncle picked up as surplus. I guess it was a Colt

Standards among defensive pistol shooters at the highest levels are clearly different. Whether it be Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc. Those guns are not "loose". In defensive pistol the gold standard is now:

Zero tolerance for FTE and FTF.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:Rock island makes a solid 1911. I prefer my kimber custom 2 but I don't think the quality is the same as they were 15 years ago. I'd love to have an old colt

Had a WWII uncle was a Marine Sniper that made the beach landings on Guadalcanal,Iwo and Okinawa.
He would pick up a pistol and shake them, if it didn’t rattle he would put it back saying that pistol will get you killed. He would find one that was loose and would say this pistol will work full of mud or sand.

I heard the same stories. First 1911 I shot was a military issue my Uncle picked up as surplus. I guess it was a Colt

Standards among defensive pistol shooters at the highest levels are clearly different. Whether it be Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc. Those guns are not "loose". In defensive pistol the gold standard is now:

They are not storming beaches with them either fighting in the worst conditions . Lot of difference in turning out a few custom guns than millions that had to work. It actually impressed me more of all the companies that made working 1911’s in WWII including Singer that makes sewing machines.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

They are not storming beaches with them either fighting in the worst conditions . Lot of difference in turning out a few custom guns than millions that had to work. It actually impressed me more of all the companies that made working 1911’s in WWII including Singer that makes sewing machines.

I agree. I sure don't throw my Les Baer or Wilson Combat down in the mud.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Glock 41, capacity is 13+1 rounds of 45 ACP nothing else has the fire power or reliability under the harshest environments.
Ugly but will get it done.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Kinda neat list of 1911 war production pistols.

http://coolgunsite.com/collectors_guide.htm
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Image
Glock 41, capacity is 13+1 rounds of 45 ACP nothing else has the fire power or reliability under the harshest environments.

There are several double stack 1911’s that carry more. Personally I don’t like the way the feel.
https://www.remington.com/handguns/mode ... uble-stack
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

There are several double stack 1911’s that carry more. Personally I don’t like the way the feel.

I am with you CB. It is sacrilege to double stack a 1911.
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

That's a 9mm you've got picked out there. I was under the impression that we were discussing 45's?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:13 pm

We were discussing 45’s there are several manufactures of double stack.

Rock makes one felt like it should be a trot line weight.
I couldn’t imagine having to tote that heavy thing all day.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/ ... hc-45-acp/
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Suit yourselves, the Glock doesn't have real fat grip like some CB. You can put a 3/8 carriage bolt through the floor of a vehicle, slide a piece of hose over the bolt and stick a 45 cal barrel over the bolt and hose. The gun will always be between the seats, handle up no matter who's driving the car.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

That's a 9mm you've got picked out there. I was under the impression that we were discussing 45's?

Really? https://us.glock.com/products/model/g41gen4
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Desert Eagle 45
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 pm

For the house okay just too much for me on CC. I will stick to my Colt Compact 1911, Ruger 357 or my Colt Pony in 380 that I carry the most.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Really? https://us.glock.com/products/model/g41gen4

Not you....The link that CB posted. FWIW, I have a Browning BDM that I really like. It's like a double stack 9mm 1911, but with an ambidextrous decocking safety. I consider it to be a good carry gun for winter, or with an untucked shirt. Browning only made them for a few years, so they can be a bit hard to find.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, some great 1911's to research!
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”