Your choice of 1911.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Ryder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I like my SIG better than any of my others.


Why? I know you also have a Les Baer.

Same question to you shining bird. What in particular do you like about the Wilson, Les B?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7761
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I like my SIG better than any of my others.


Why? I know you also have a Les Baer.

Same question to you shining bird. What in particular do you like about the Wilson, Les B?


Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9874
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 pm

The only 1911 I've had dealings was a Colt Commander and I loved that gun. Kicked myself a bunch of times for selling it.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22927
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

One of the sweetest shooters I own is in 38 super. You can get 9mm as hot today. Now if you reload 9mm can’t come close.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

I like my sig, but I am itching to try the springfield range officer
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby SmokinM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

If FTE and FTF are what separates the men from the boys a $500 Glock will run circles around a $1500 1911. I know I know 1911s are the “best”. I have a couple they are nice and fun to shoot, one of those guns everyone should have like a 94 Winchester. Fact is you want it to be reliable and not picky, pick up a Glock.
To the OPs original question I think you would be happy with most any good brand, a lot of people love the Kimbers also hear a lot of good about Rock Islands for the money. One of mine is a Llama and honestly as fun and accurate as any others I have shot. Disclaimer I have not messed with any higher grade than Kimber so can’t speak to top of the line guns if you gave plenty of money to spend they may be better. For the money they should be.
2 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm

SmokinM wrote:If FTE and FTF are what separates the men from the boys a $500 Glock will run circles around a $1500 1911. I know I know 1911s are the “best”. I have a couple they are nice and fun to shoot, one of those guns everyone should have like a 94 Winchester. Fact is you want it to be reliable and not picky, pick up a Glock.
To the OPs original question I think you would be happy with most any good brand, a lot of people love the Kimbers also hear a lot of good about Rock Islands for the money. One of mine is a Llama and honestly as fun and accurate as any others I have shot. Disclaimer I have not messed with any higher grade than Kimber so can’t speak to top of the line guns if you gave plenty of money to spend they may be better. For the money they should be.


They each have their place, but I won't argue. I buy every Glock that slides across the table in the barn. I'd be ashamed to show you how dirty some of them are, but I'm confident that they'll go boom when I squeeze on em. They make great boat guns. ;-)
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:15 am
Location: dew,texas

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby papavillars » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I am a colt man. Original series seventy in 45 and 38 super and 9mm. I have a KBI double stack I keep in my farm truck. It actually has never failed to fire. But as stated heavy and wide gripped. When I had my store I sold a lot of the El presentation series. I have all of the but I failed to keep an El Patron, so I am a buyer if you have one
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22927
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:52 pm

papavillars wrote:I am a colt man. Original series seventy in 45 and 38 super and 9mm. I have a KBI double stack I keep in my farm truck. It actually has never failed to fire. But as stated heavy and wide gripped. When I had my store I sold a lot of the El presentation series. I have all of the but I failed to keep an El Patron, so I am a buyer if you have one



Got all three the nine is the sweetest shooter for having some fun at the range.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby jltrent » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am

My son for Christmas got a small frame 1911 I like pretty well. He got his conceal licence and if teachers are ever allowed to carry here he will gladly help out. He has 20/15 vision, steady hands, could out shoot me at 9 years old and would not be afraid to use it to help protect others. Real nice gun it seems.

Image
Image
1 x

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Ryder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Why? I know you also have a Les Baer.

Same question to you shining bird. What in particular do you like about the Wilson, Les B?


Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.

What powder charge and bullet weight did you use for competition?
0 x
Ryder



Deo Vindice

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7761
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.

What powder charge and bullet weight did you use for competition?


Penn. 200 grain TCPB Lead cast for practice and competition. Many don't know this but Lead Cast can be ordered in different diameters for one caliber. These are .452. 6 grains of W-W 231
Image
Image
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Ryder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks.
0 x
Ryder



Deo Vindice

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby snoopdog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.

What powder charge and bullet weight did you use for competition?


Penn. 200 grain TCPB Lead cast for practice and competition. Many don't know this but Lead Cast can be ordered in different diameters for one caliber. These are .452. 6 grains of W-W 231
Image
Image
Casting your own is fun! Tinkerers are all the same .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest