Your choice of 1911.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Ryder
GURU
GURU

Re: Your choice of 1911.

Postby Ryder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I like my SIG better than any of my others.

Why? I know you also have a Les Baer.

Same question to you shining bird. What in particular do you like about the Wilson, Les B?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I like my SIG better than any of my others.

Same question to you shining bird. What in particular do you like about the Wilson, Les B?

Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 pm

The only 1911 I've had dealings was a Colt Commander and I loved that gun. Kicked myself a bunch of times for selling it.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

One of the sweetest shooters I own is in 38 super. You can get 9mm as hot today. Now if you reload 9mm can’t come close.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

I like my sig, but I am itching to try the springfield range officer
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

If FTE and FTF are what separates the men from the boys a $500 Glock will run circles around a $1500 1911. I know I know 1911s are the “best”. I have a couple they are nice and fun to shoot, one of those guns everyone should have like a 94 Winchester. Fact is you want it to be reliable and not picky, pick up a Glock.
To the OPs original question I think you would be happy with most any good brand, a lot of people love the Kimbers also hear a lot of good about Rock Islands for the money. One of mine is a Llama and honestly as fun and accurate as any others I have shot. Disclaimer I have not messed with any higher grade than Kimber so can’t speak to top of the line guns if you gave plenty of money to spend they may be better. For the money they should be.
2 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm

SmokinM wrote:If FTE and FTF are what separates the men from the boys a $500 Glock will run circles around a $1500 1911. I know I know 1911s are the “best”. I have a couple they are nice and fun to shoot, one of those guns everyone should have like a 94 Winchester. Fact is you want it to be reliable and not picky, pick up a Glock.
To the OPs original question I think you would be happy with most any good brand, a lot of people love the Kimbers also hear a lot of good about Rock Islands for the money. One of mine is a Llama and honestly as fun and accurate as any others I have shot. Disclaimer I have not messed with any higher grade than Kimber so can’t speak to top of the line guns if you gave plenty of money to spend they may be better. For the money they should be.

They each have their place, but I won't argue. I buy every Glock that slides across the table in the barn. I'd be ashamed to show you how dirty some of them are, but I'm confident that they'll go boom when I squeeze on em. They make great boat guns. ;-)
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I am a colt man. Original series seventy in 45 and 38 super and 9mm. I have a KBI double stack I keep in my farm truck. It actually has never failed to fire. But as stated heavy and wide gripped. When I had my store I sold a lot of the El presentation series. I have all of the but I failed to keep an El Patron, so I am a buyer if you have one
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:52 pm

papavillars wrote:I am a colt man. Original series seventy in 45 and 38 super and 9mm. I have a KBI double stack I keep in my farm truck. It actually has never failed to fire. But as stated heavy and wide gripped. When I had my store I sold a lot of the El presentation series. I have all of the but I failed to keep an El Patron, so I am a buyer if you have one

Got all three the nine is the sweetest shooter for having some fun at the range.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am

My son for Christmas got a small frame 1911 I like pretty well. He got his conceal licence and if teachers are ever allowed to carry here he will gladly help out. He has 20/15 vision, steady hands, could out shoot me at 9 years old and would not be afraid to use it to help protect others. Real nice gun it seems.

1 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Zero FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject). That is what competitive defensive shooters strive for in a 1911. In a combination of practice and competition events, a serious shooter will go through hundreds of rounds a week during the summer. A progressive loader is a requirement. Most use a Dillon Precision. I started out with Kimber. I had 4 different models. I even had the one customized. I still experienced the rare FTE or FTF. During an event, it is embarrassing. My instructor recommended Les Baer - because he used Les Baer. He was retired Secret Service. Taught defensive pistol in Helena MT.

I bought a Wilson Combat CQB. Night sights. No failures. Later, I bought a Ler Baer Target. No failures. If you were only shooting standard factory loads a Kimber might not fail. But with Competition loads that are slightly down loaded and thus not factory, you need a quality 1911.

What powder charge and bullet weight did you use for competition?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Penn. 200 grain TCPB Lead cast for practice and competition. Many don't know this but Lead Cast can be ordered in different diameters for one caliber. These are .452. 6 grains of W-W 231
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ryder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Penn. 200 grain TCPB Lead cast for practice and competition. Many don't know this but Lead Cast can be ordered in different diameters for one caliber. These are .452. 6 grains of W-W 231
Casting your own is fun! Tinkerers are all the same .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”