Long range shooters?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: Long range shooters?

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:38 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:A good way to start is finding the guys already shooting distance and spending lots of money. They seem to want the newest and highest even though I can hardly tell the difference. Buy their stuff cheap and help them finance the more expensive things. Soon you can build up to anything the normal person would need.

There is nowhere around here to shoot that far so it would be hard for me to find anyone I could do that with

Where are you planning on going to shoot? 1000 yds is common here and we have a few shooting a mile. I dont even try. On a hunt lease we have in Black Mountain on the VA/KY border if I chose to try there are places to shoot out to 2 miles and farther. Waste of ammo for me to try.
there is a place I can get several hundred yards (it might be close to 1000 I haven't ranged it) but it is on private land so most people couldn't use it (I can though) besides that I'd like go out west with it (Wyoming Colorado area)

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 pm

ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:There is nowhere around here to shoot that far so it would be hard for me to find anyone I could do that with
q
Where are you planning on going to shoot? 1000 yds is common here and we have a few shooting a mile. I dont even try. On a hunt lease we have in Black Mountain on the VA/KY border if I chose to try there are places to shoot out to 2 miles and farther. Waste of ammo for me to try.
there is a place I can get several hundred yards (it might be close to 1000 I haven't ranged it) but it is on private land so most people couldn't use it (I can though) besides that I'd like go out west with it (Wyoming Colorado area)

Start out slow and at 500yds or less. Move on out as you become more comfortable with it.
Your welcome to come here anytime. We have 13,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plenty of options to shoot.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:q

Start out slow and at 500yds or less. Move on out as you become more comfortable with it.
Your welcome to come here anytime. We have 13,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plenty of options to shoot.
I might take you up on that offer!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:there is a place I can get several hundred yards (it might be close to 1000 I haven't ranged it) but it is on private land so most people couldn't use it (I can though) besides that I'd like go out west with it (Wyoming Colorado area)

You are very welcome anytime. Bear and deer season just went out so not much happens up there till Turkey season.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote: Start out slow and at 500yds or less. Move on out as you become more comfortable with it.

You are very welcome anytime. Bear and deer season just went out so not much happens up there till Turkey season.
maybe some time in March unless a different trip I want to take doesn't work out then maybe earlier. (I'm losing my job soon and trying to find some fun stuff to do before I move on to something else)

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Pretty sure I can hook you up with a job in west TX if you want to work a lot of hours and make a lot of money. No time for cows though.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Pretty sure I can hook you up with a job in west TX if you want to work a lot of hours and make a lot of money. No time for cows though.

How many is a lot of hours and how much is a lot of money?

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm

70 to 80 hours a week. $150,000 If you can show up and do anything like drive a machine or truck. More if you have any skills.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:47 pm

kenny thomas wrote:70 to 80 hours a week. $150,000 If you can show up and do anything like drive a machine or truck. More if you have any skills.

What kind of machine? What is the job exactly?

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm

ez14. wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:70 to 80 hours a week. $150,000 If you can show up and do anything like drive a machine or truck. More if you have any skills.

Gas, oil and related pipeline activity. West TX is booming. Got a friend and CT member there. I can PM you his number if you want to talk to him.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
ez14. wrote:

Gas, oil and related pipeline activity. West TX is booming. Got a friend and CT member there. I can PM you his number if you want to talk to him.
I'll have to think about that. Would that be 51 or 52 weeks a year? (Not really much different hours then I've been working only 7X the pay)

So if I head down your way to go shooting any chance I could work part of the day for you for room and board well I'm down there? (I have this idea of finding different ranches and stuff to work for for a week or two at a time for room and board and just traveling around a little bit like that)

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Can you wade mud, pick up rocks, cut bushes? Lol

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Can you wade mud, pick up rocks, cut bushes? Lol

Pretty much my current job description lol

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 am

Ez,

I have a 6.5 × 284 Win. That is the 284 Winchester necked down to 6.5 mm. My rifle is a Cooper Montanan. Precision handloading is essential in long range benchrest shooting. Most shooters use Lapua brass and bullets or other custom made components.

If you are planning a hunting trip to Wyoming or Colorado, you will certainly have an opportunity for long range shooting. However, I would not shoot big game at any range over 400 yards and to kill elk at that range humanely, you should use a rifle in the 300 Winchester Magnum class with well constructed bullets.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:52 am

Find somewhere to shoot prairie dogs, way more fun than shooting paper.
Kenny, Larry B needs some good help especially with his hip replacement coming up. He'd have his fill of cows then.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.