Shotguns

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Shotguns

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 pm

I have a Model 25 with a low four digit serial number. Non take down version of a Model 12.
Worse kicking shotgun I own kills on both ends.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby okiek » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am

I don't want to hijack a thread, but in reference to this post I have a question. I'm a shotgun nut and own Ithaca 37's in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 has had a LOT of rounds through it, the 12 very, very few. Both of those guns will eject a live too frequently when you pump it. That's my ONLY knock to that shotgun. Anyone else have that experience? I've never taken in to a gunsmith but I assume they could fix the problem. I don't hunt with either anymore so I haven't worried about it. Anyone with experience on it?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

okiek wrote:I don't want to hijack a thread, but in reference to this post I have a question. I'm a shotgun nut and own Ithaca 37's in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 has had a LOT of rounds through it, the 12 very, very few. Both of those guns will eject a live too frequently when you pump it. That's my ONLY knock to that shotgun. Anyone else have that experience? I've never taken in to a gunsmith but I assume they could fix the problem. I don't hunt with either anymore so I haven't worried about it. Anyone with experience on it?

Your magazine cutoff is not functioning properly. Your slide action bar operates this in the pump cycle. There is a cut off on each side one releases the next live round to the feed ramp while the other is cutting off the magazine tube.
It could be as simple as you gun needs a good cleaning and lubricated.

Be very similar to a BPS as both are based off Brownings design Remington Model 17.
Part would be # 11 and 12

https://www.google.com/search?q=brownin ... Hjus7Xi8uM:
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby okiek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

Your magazine cutoff is not functioning properly. Your slide action bar operates this in the pump cycle. There is a cut off on each side one releases the next live round to the feed ramp while the other is cutting off the magazine tube.
It could be as simple as you gun needs a good cleaning and lubricated.

Be very similar to a BPS as both are based off Brownings design Remington Model 17.
Part would be # 11 and 12

https://www.google.com/search?q=brownin ... Hjus7Xi8uM:[/quote]

Thank you very much for the answer!!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Since we have been talking old guns
what are your favorite American pumps.
We will get into the break over guns later as well as self loaders.
1. Winchester Model 97 or 12
2. Browning BPS
3. Winchester 1200
4. Ithaca Model 37
5.Mossberg 500.

I know everyone is wondering where the Remington 870 is. I don’t own one I detest the gun.
I shot competition trap for years I might as well have a sling shot with me as a 870. Probably one of the greatest designs of all times is not worth a penny if you can’t get one to fit right.
Secondly the safety is behind the trigger they just had to be different belongs in front or on the tang.

CB you and I have had the shotgun debates for years and my truly really old favorite and first shotgun was the Iver Johnson 12 gauge single shot with full choke 36" barrel... Next my 1100's then browning gold hunter I also have some mossbergs I like.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Wait a second. On every gun with a push button safety I’ve ever owned, from old shotguns to BB guns, the button is behind the trigger. Not sure Remington did so to be different, I’d almost call it standard.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

M.Magis wrote:Wait a second. On every gun with a push button safety I’ve ever owned, from old shotguns to BB guns, the button is behind the trigger. Not sure Remington did so to be different, I’d almost call it standard.

Sadly that is pretty much standard. That's why I like the older Winchesters. It is in front of the trigger gaurd and you can wipe it off in one movement while you are mounting the gun and have the gun mounted before you finger reaches the trigger.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 pm

M.Magis wrote:Wait a second. On every gun with a push button safety I’ve ever owned, from old shotguns to BB guns, the button is behind the trigger. Not sure Remington did so to be different, I’d almost call it standard.

Browning invented the pump the safety was Garand style or in front of the trigger even on the Remington’s.
You have just been buying inferior firearms. :lol:
Pedersen changed the design on the model 17 that was the father of the Ithaca 37 the Browning BPS and the Remington 870.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_17
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but if you don't have a Beretta or Benelli you don't have a real shotgun. There's a big difference between a shotgun and a scatter gun.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Well I’ll be darned. I’ll have to check some of my older guns. Honestly I almost never use any of them except the 1100 for deer and the 870 super mag for turkeys. Some of them I haven’t shot in 25+ years. After all these years using Remingtons my trigger finger just naturally sits on the safety button at all times and just slides forward to make a shot.
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but if you don't have a Beretta or Benelli you don't have a real shotgun. There's a big difference between a shotgun and a scatter gun.

I don’t much care what you want to call it. In the thousands upon thousand of rounds I’ve shot, my old 1100 has never once failed to cycle. Or hit where I aim for that matter. Thats really all I care about. Impressing people doesn’t really matter to me.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Well I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but if you don't have a Beretta or Benelli you don't have a real shotgun. There's a big difference between a shotgun and a scatter gun.

I bet you can pick any of my 1100's or gold hunter on its worst day will shoot better than a Beretta or bennelli on its best day
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 pm

M.Magis wrote:

I don’t much care what you want to call it. In the thousands upon thousand of rounds I’ve shot, my old 1100 has never once failed to cycle. Or hit where I aim for that matter. Thats really all I care about. Impressing people doesn’t really matter to me.

I assume you haven't been to Argentina shooting doves with your 1100? I have a couple of 1100 myself and at one time they were my go to shotguns. I need a gun that hits where I aim without fail. I can't impress anyone with my shooting.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

That’s like the little boy that kissed the calf on the a$$ everyone to the own taste.
I have shot them don’t care for either.
The only new foreign made shotgun I have found I like is a Winchester SXP.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

I bet you can pick any of my 1100's or gold hunter on its worst day will shoot better than a Beretta or bennelli on its best day

You just have better guns than I do what can I say. The best shot gunners in the world shoot Beretta or Benelli in autos, it's just a fact. But there's a little more to it than just the gun.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”