"hunter" mistakes woman for a deer. Kills her.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: "hunter" mistakes woman for a deer. Kills her.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:36 am

I'm guilty of shooting at a deer that I wasn't positive was a deer. Once I started to think about it it scared and worried me to death till I went and found the deer. Here's the story, I shot a big buck in the point of shoulder at 15 yds and he ran into a pine thicket somehow. I was nervous and knew there was no way I could of missed the buck, but I was in shock as he he ran about 30 yds in woods I could see him through. When I stood up in my stand to try and calm my nerves and get the cramps out of my legs I saw what I thought was a deer tail twitching in a hole about 10 yds into the thicket that the buck ran into. I raised my rifle and put the X about a foot forward of where I THOUGHT the tail - ham was and shot. At that point I wasn't sure if I hit the deer or not because the woods were so thick.
I'm not sure why I started to think that maybe it wasn't a deer tail I saw before I shot the second, but I did and pure panic overwhelmed me. Needless to say I was very happy and relieved once I found the buck laying dead where I had shot the second time. I ASSUMED it was the same buck when I shot the second time but wasn't a 100%, and that will never again.
Even on private family property behind locked gates you still need to know 100% what your target is before you pull the trigger. A deer is not worth someone's life......deadbeats, freeloaders and liberals?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:46 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm guilty of shooting at a deer that I wasn't positive was a deer. Once I started to think about it it scared and worried me to death till I went and found the deer. Here's the story, I shot a big buck in the point of shoulder at 15 yds and he ran into a pine thicket somehow. I was nervous and knew there was no way I could of missed the buck, but I was in shock as he he ran about 30 yds in woods I could see him through. When I stood up in my stand to try and calm my nerves and get the cramps out of my legs I saw what I thought was a deer tail twitching in a hole about 10 yds into the thicket that the buck ran into. I raised my rifle and put the X about a foot forward of where I THOUGHT the tail - ham was and shot. At that point I wasn't sure if I hit the deer or not because the woods were so thick.
I'm not sure why I started to think that maybe it wasn't a deer tail I saw before I shot the second, but I did and pure panic overwhelmed me. Needless to say I was very happy and relieved once I found the buck laying dead where I had shot the second time. I ASSUMED it was the same buck when I shot the second time but wasn't a 100%, and that will never again.
Even on private family property behind locked gates you still need to know 100% what your target is before you pull the trigger. A deer is not worth someone's life......deadbeats, freeloaders and liberals?

I admire your honesty. That is one of your most worthy traits. It does appear that as ye have notable qualities, a flaw is becoming apparent. I only mention this because you are open and honest. The flaw is the same as the one you exhibited in the Black Security Guard incident- you did not feel safe! This incident involves a bad case of nerves that had you making misjudgments that could have resulted in a life altering event. May I, only because we are such good friends, suggest that you carry a flask of your favorite whiskey. When you feel a bad case of nerves coming on, take a swig.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am

kenny thomas wrote:Here there are more shots from the road driving by than from a tree stand. Its really,bad.

In Wyoming, the non-residents would come in to hunt antelope. Of course not going home with one was not to be a possibility. After missing them for a few days, they abandon all attempts to stalk one and begin "flock shooting". A term used by residents to describe a hunter who gets a herd moving and just fires on the whole herd without sighting on one antelope. I cannot begin to tell you how many antelope are running around pulling a string of their guts or with a front leg flapping over their back.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:00 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'm guilty of shooting at a deer that I wasn't positive was a deer. Once I started to think about it it scared and worried me to death till I went and found the deer. Here's the story, I shot a big buck in the point of shoulder at 15 yds and he ran into a pine thicket somehow. I was nervous and knew there was no way I could of missed the buck, but I was in shock as he he ran about 30 yds in woods I could see him through. When I stood up in my stand to try and calm my nerves and get the cramps out of my legs I saw what I thought was a deer tail twitching in a hole about 10 yds into the thicket that the buck ran into. I raised my rifle and put the X about a foot forward of where I THOUGHT the tail - ham was and shot. At that point I wasn't sure if I hit the deer or not because the woods were so thick.

I admire your honesty. That is one of your most worthy traits. It does appear that as ye have notable qualities, a flaw is becoming apparent. I only mention this because you are open and honest. The flaw is the same as the one you exhibited in the Black Security Guard incident- you did not feel safe! This incident involves a bad case of nerves that had you making misjudgments that could have resulted in a life altering event. May I, only because we are such good friends, suggest that you carry a flask of your favorite whiskey. When you feel a bad case of nerves coming on, take a swig.

I know my limitations and alcohol is something I have to live without.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You know it was humor and maybe not a good thing to joke about.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You know it was humor and maybe not a good thing to joke about.

I knew that, but if your going to be dumb you better be tough, and my toughness was beaten out of me a few years ago. Drinking and drugs aren't a bad thing for some, and to some it's definitely not something to joke about either.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:01 am

kenny thomas wrote:Here there are more shots from the road driving by than from a tree stand. Its really,bad.

It's getting that way here too Kenny. These azzholes drive up and down the road all morning and evening..about like pheasant hunting Iowa.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 am

Years ago I was one of 5 in a group that was invited to hunt on private property in west Texas. One of the guy's parents owned the property and they some basic rules to follow. Number one was to not leave your blind except to retrieve your deer, then wait until the truck comes around to pick you up.

It was early afternoon and I was let out at a blind about 1/2 mile from the nearest blind. I had been there about an hour and a half when I saw movement about 100 yards away. I put my scope on it and it was the only lawyer in our group. My first thought was to throw up, then started shaking very soon after. That didn't last long as I turned to just being plain pi$$ed. Needless to say after the chewing he got he didn't go rambling off after that.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 am

slick4591 wrote:Years ago I was one of 5 in a group that was invited to hunt on private property in west Texas. One of the guy's parents owned the property and they some basic rules to follow. Number one was to not leave your blind except to retrieve your deer, then wait until the truck comes around to pick you up.

It was early afternoon and I was let out at a blind about 1/2 mile from the nearest blind. I had been there about an hour and a half when I saw movement about 100 yards away. I put my scope on it and it was the only lawyer in our group. My first thought was to throw up, then started shaking very soon after. That didn't last long as I turned to just being plain pi$$ed. Needless to say after the chewing he got he didn't go rambling off after that.

I had two idiots come walking under my stand poaching and I told them to get the heck out. And one of the idiots almost fell down trying to get his rifle off his shoulder. I told them I wasn't a deer dumb azz, and they took off running.
There's a big difference between hunter and poacher, as I age I'm learning.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”