Once in a lifetime dream hunt................

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Once in a lifetime dream hunt................

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:16 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
ga.prime wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
An article I read said an old bull giraffe like this one doesn't breed anymore and actually kills the younger bulls that are crucial to propagate the species.

Don't know why I'm jumping on this merry go round of imbeciles, but yes, reportedly he had already killed three younger breeding bulls and was sanctioned for extermination by the South African authorities. Probably not for free either.

Welcome aboard.

Glad to know somebody besides me reads the background on a story before yapping off.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Wonder how the breed survived before being sold off in big game hunts?
Sounds more like a convenient way to sell giraffe hunts.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Wonder how the breed survived before being sold off in big game hunts?

CB. In lots of areas they did not survive. They were shot off to make way for man and livestock. Many of the "game farms" in Namibia and Republic of South Africa have brought them back. Personally, game farm hunts do not appeal to me but I have no problem with others pursuing them. They have restored a lot of species in areas where they were previously exterminated.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Wonder how the breed survived before being sold off in big game hunts?

CB. In lots of areas they did not survive. They were shot off to make way for man and livestock. Many of the "game farms" in Namibia and Republic of South Africa have brought them back. Personally, game farm hunts do not appeal to me but I have no problem with others pursuing them. They have restored a lot of species in areas where they were previously exterminated.

Your missing the point the species survived for centuries until as you said they were shot out.
A canned hunt WOW impressive.
Don’t get me wrong I love to hunt.
I just don’t get shooting something for grins.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Your missing the point the species survived for centuries until as you said they were shot out.
A canned hunt WOW impressive.
Don’t get me wrong I love to hunt.
I just don’t get shooting something for grins.

I see your point. It is a matter of personal ethics. IMO, anytime you hunt for sport, you are killing for "grins" or in other words for the sport of hunting. Some say well, I eat the meat - what difference does that truly make? The animal sure as heII don't see a difference.

At the end of the day, it is a personal choice. Some people love to golf, others think it is goofy. To each his own.
2 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:53 pm

I don’t even like to shoot feral hogs to just kill to rot. Wish the state could come with a real control method for them.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I don’t even like to shoot feral hogs to just kill to rot. Wish the state could come with a real control method for them.

I have gotten to the point that I only will kill something that is harmful. Such as the feral hog situation and I am completely sympathetic to finding a better control method. I am sure you don't do it because you like to.
0 x
Diogenes.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 am

ga.prime wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
bird dog wrote:I fail to see the entertainment value in shooting a magnificent animal like that. Now if she wants to hunt some hogs, I'm your man.

An article I read said an old bull giraffe like this one doesn't breed anymore and actually kills the younger bulls that are crucial to propagate the species.

Don't know why I'm jumping on this merry go round of imbeciles, but yes, reportedly he had already killed three younger breeding bulls and was sanctioned for extermination by the South African authorities. Probably not for free either.

Its not my cup of tea but those hunts are important to protecting those animals. As said, the meat usually goes to the local villages and they don't just shoot random animals. The money for these hunts goes toward the conservation effort also.

A lot of these animals would not be thriving today if not for these hunters.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:50 am

The same way coyotes in California or any population explosion of humans that take their habitat.
I know someone who has a mounted giraffe. Said they hated shooting it, but saw what doing it did for the community and the animal was no longer fertile and was old. Just like the cattle business, you wouldn't keep a bull around that isn't productive. If someone came to your place and said, I'll give you 20,000 to shoot that bull.....would you do it even if you're sending him off for slaughter for 98 cents a pound?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:24 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

The same way coyotes in California or any population explosion of humans that take their habitat.
I know someone who has a mounted giraffe. Said they hated shooting it, but saw what doing it did for the community and the animal was no longer fertile and was old. Just like the cattle business, you wouldn't keep a bull around that isn't productive. If someone came to your place and said, I'll give you 20,000 to shoot that bull.....would you do it even if you're sending him off for slaughter for 98 cents a pound?

No I wouldn’t some things are not about money. It’s not the demise of the bull that bothers me, it’s the type person that enjoys the canned hunt that does.
IMOO these type hunts hurt the ethical Hunter.
Nuff said as no ones opinion is going to change.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I don’t even like to shoot feral hogs to just kill to rot. Wish the state could come with a real control method for them.

I feel pretty dam good when one of my Remedy/diesel/Sendero treated trees dies and falls over and/or when ol Bucky floats up a day or 2 later after I hit him with buckshot or I find him in a conibear bloatin up, honestly...I'm all grins.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

mwj
GURU
GURU

Postby mwj » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm

If ethics are such a big deal, why is it that they have no trouble shooting a buck on its way in to there ''feeder'' for some corn? Is that why they are a nuisance ?
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 pm

mwj wrote:If ethics are such a big deal, why is it that they have no trouble shooting a buck on its way in to there ''feeder'' for some corn? Is that why they are a nuisance ?

It doesn’t have to be a buck for me.
I am going to put two in the freezer regardless of sex. After that I am back to chasing tree rats.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:21 pm

mwj wrote:If ethics are such a big deal, why is it that they have no trouble shooting a buck on its way in to there ''feeder'' for some corn? Is that why they are a nuisance ?

Ethics is a matter of personal opinion. Nothing more. Some hunters believe hunting with anything other than a spear is unsporting. The next guy wants the buck to walk into his freezer and dress himself.
2 x
Diogenes.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

It doesn’t have to be a buck for me.
I am going to put two in the freezer regardless of sex. After that I am back to chasing tree rats.

I am not much of a hunter, but have no problem at all with folks that hunt responsibly, which I think most do. I don't know about any area other than around these parts, but deer are pretty numerous, in spite of deer hunting being very popular. While I love to see them, I know that they do cause damage to crops, gardens and fences, and hunting does help control the population which I think probably keeps down diseases as well.
1 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”