Whole Cotton Seed

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8386
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote: Bite your tongue.


Kenny, next time you come to Texas would you take ol' Brute out and buy him a lap dance. I'll pay for half of it. :lol2: :lol2:


I'm 5 years clean... don't ruin it for me. :kid:

Good deal, one day at a time.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8437
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 pm

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I spend more money on groceries for deer and dogs than myself by far.

Its still better than than cocaine and strippers though.

Bite your tongue.


Kenny, next time you come to Texas would you take ol' Brute out and buy him a lap dance. I'll pay for half of it. :lol2: :lol2:

I ain't gone home yet so there is still a chance.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Having the first irrigated field for miles seems to be working out pretty good. They are out there every morning and evening. Heck at 5:00 PM last Thursday when we set an all time record high temperature there was at least a dozen of them out there eating in the green.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17672
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:52 am

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I spend more money on groceries for deer and dogs than myself by far.

Its still better than than cocaine and strippers though.

Bite your tongue.


Kenny, next time you come to Texas would you take ol' Brute out and buy him a lap dance. I'll pay for half of it. :lol2: :lol2:


I'm loathe to imagine what 1/2 a lap dance might be like............
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8386
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 am

greybeard wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote: Bite your tongue.


Kenny, next time you come to Texas would you take ol' Brute out and buy him a lap dance. I'll pay for half of it. :lol2: :lol2:


I'm loathe to imagine what 1/2 a lap dance might be like............

Either your wife shows up or the cops.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by 5S Cattle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:42 pm

I bought a few of those high dollar bags of cotton seed from the feed store. The deer lapped them up. Bought a few more...same. Bought an 18 wheeler load and had it delivered to the ranch. I have a lot of cattle feed. I don’t get it but it worked out pretty well for my cows :lol2:

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23358
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 pm

This is why I hate corn.
Turned the feeder until I get it fenced in.

Image
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23358
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 am

And these have gone to hog heaven.


Image
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7558
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

I know a lot of people complain about the cost of the protein but at least I know 99% of it actually goes to the deer. I sling a little corn for the deer/hogs but no where near as much as I use to before protein.

I'm a big fan of hunting the deer travel to the protein feeders and just corning the roads with a tailgate feeder. We get far more deer on corned roads than under any feeder.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by callmefence » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 am

Brute 23 wrote:I know a lot of people complain about the cost of the protein but at least I know 99% of it actually goes to the deer. I sling a little corn for the deer/hogs but no where near as much as I use to before protein.

I'm a big fan of hunting the deer travel to the protein feeders and just corning the roads with a tailgate feeder. We get far more deer on corned roads than under any feeder.


That's exactly right. I sling corn with a atv slinger nilly willy up until a couple weeks before season. Then gradually start tighten it up to around the stands.
Big bucks didn't get big standing under a tripod.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23358
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:13 pm

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I know a lot of people complain about the cost of the protein but at least I know 99% of it actually goes to the deer. I sling a little corn for the deer/hogs but no where near as much as I use to before protein.

I'm a big fan of hunting the deer travel to the protein feeders and just corning the roads with a tailgate feeder. We get far more deer on corned roads than under any feeder.


That's exactly right. I sling corn with a atv slinger nilly willy up until a couple weeks before season. Then gradually start tighten it up to around the stands.
Big bucks didn't get big standing under a tripod.


Coons will break you on protein feeders here, since no one traps anymore they are the plague.
I have never gotten a picture of a really big buck under a feeder. They are always on the outskirts here now a food plot is a whole nuther story.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8386
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I saw a big non-typical buck under a feeder yesterday afternoon couldn't believe it. I wonder if it might have something to do with the hogs? We don't have hog problems here very often.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23358
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Deer don’t like hogs!
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7558
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I know a lot of people complain about the cost of the protein but at least I know 99% of it actually goes to the deer. I sling a little corn for the deer/hogs but no where near as much as I use to before protein.

I'm a big fan of hunting the deer travel to the protein feeders and just corning the roads with a tailgate feeder. We get far more deer on corned roads than under any feeder.


That's exactly right. I sling corn with a atv slinger nilly willy up until a couple weeks before season. Then gradually start tighten it up to around the stands.
Big bucks didn't get big standing under a tripod.


Coons will break you on protein feeders here, since no one traps anymore they are the plague.
I have never gotten a picture of a really big buck under a feeder. They are always on the outskirts here now a food plot is a whole nuther story.


Have you tried these before? We have several and I have turned several friends on to them also. I can say with all honesty I have never seen a coon on one and I keep cameras on them year round. They are not that bad on cost also. The #600 you can fill from a pick up easily. The #1000s you have to fully extend to put bags in... not my favorite.

https://www.bossbuck.com/products/feede ... otein.html

All the big high dollar fancy ones are nothing more than coon jungle gyms IMO.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23358
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Whole Cotton Seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:23 pm

No Brute i haven’t need to look into one.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Post Reply