Dove season

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3509
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Dove season

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm

callmefence wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
slick4591 wrote:All throughout my life I tried and tried to like them, but it wasn't until last year that I ate some that I couldn't get enough of. Can't remember the entire process I was told, but they finished them with jalapeno and bacon on the grill.


I have taken them, deboned them, wrapped the breast around cream cheese and a piece of jalapeño, or bell, pepper, then wrap the whole thing in bacon and grill. Man that’s good eating. Also do the same thing with turkey, pheasant, and have occasionally done it with chicken. Takes a little time, especially if you’re cooking for very many, but it’s worth it as a treat.

Forgot to add if you soak the meat in Italian dressing for awhile before wrapping its even better.


I think I got a old pair of boots
Probably be ok cooked that way... :D


Bacon makes everything better! Don’t forget to take a pic for us :lol2:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22729
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Dove season

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7399
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Dove season

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.

I shot almost 5 boxes of shells, and the power lines were sagging with doves when we quit.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22729
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Dove season

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.

I shot almost 5 boxes of shells, and the power lines were sagging with doves when we quit.


It was like duck hunting this evening.
I was shooting a 28 gauge and had 11 birds in 19 shots. I flat missed the first few till I got my timing down.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7399
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Dove season

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.

I shot almost 5 boxes of shells, and the power lines were sagging with doves when we quit.


It was like duck hunting this evening.
I was shooting a 28 gauge and had 11 birds in 19 shots. I flat missed the first few till I got my timing down.

We started shooting after 3 and quit at 5. We were shooting over sunflowers, wheat, millet and some peanut hearts. I'm told the doves need to settle down and feed before dark or they'll go somewhere else. The guy that owns this field has it high fenced so the deer can't eat the crops, and a irrigation pivot to provide water as needed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22729
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Dove season

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Grit they clear cut the 250 acres across the road and the doves have been feeding in that cut over. They were coming to water in the stock tanks.
That party will be over tomorrow with the rain that started this evening.
Next year I am going to plant a few acres in milo.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests