Non typical racks ?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8076
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Non typical racks ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Shot a 4 x 5 buck last fall with a burley two point "crab claw" on one side.
This fall I have a 4 x 6 buck with two crab claws on one side.

Have you seen this much? Is this considered a non typical?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4313
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 pm

I thought this was going to be a far more interesting topic before I read it.
7 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8076
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 am

But a better title than crabs...
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby TCRanch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 am

Full disclosure: my husband didn't shoot this one, we found it at our watershed lake. Not sure how he died but we got a salvage tag. Neighbor had been tracking him for 2 years - pretty cool to compare the trail cam pics to the "finished product".

Image

Image

Image
2 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16825
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Aaron wrote:I thought this was going to be a far more interesting topic before I read it.

Which is what most of us were thinking.

Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3509
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:02 pm

TCRanch wrote:Full disclosure: my husband didn't shoot this one, we found it at our watershed lake. Not sure how he died but we got a salvage tag. Neighbor had been tracking him for 2 years - pretty cool to compare the trail cam pics to the "finished product".

Image

Image

Image


Nice rack :D
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8076
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm

greybeard wrote:Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.


No. One side is much much bigger than the other.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22730
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.


No. One side is much much bigger than the other.


Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14663
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.


No. One side is much much bigger than the other.


Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.


Hard to find some times. But when you see the rack, you search, and find the injury. It can be only slight. Other times it is inherently obvious.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby TCRanch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.


No. One side is much much bigger than the other.


Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.

CB are you the one that told me some people actually shoot them with buckshot when they're young to intentionally promote atypical growth?
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22730
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
No. One side is much much bigger than the other.


Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.

CB are you the one that told me some people actually shoot them with buckshot when they're young to intentionally promote atypical growth?


Nope not me, the ones I shoot with buckshot become sausage.
3 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29606
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Non typical racks ?

Postby TexasBred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:17 am

TCRanch wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
No. One side is much much bigger than the other.


Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.

CB are you the one that told me some people actually shoot them with buckshot when they're young to intentionally promote atypical growth?


TCR I've heard rumors that they shoot them with BB guns or pellet guns while they are still in velvet. Just enough to cause a small injury to the antler. Cannot confirm if this actually happens or not. Usually just genetics as much as anything.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests