Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Spookle
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Spookle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:54 pm

I purchased the Mini 14 a couple months ago and haven't used it then. Don't ask why :lol: Anyways, I need a scope dedicated for hunting animals like squirrels. I'm leaning towards the Nikon 8496 P-233 3x32 BDC. Any ideas or suggestions?
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22730
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Hate to be your neighbor within a couple miles.
2 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9716
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby slick4591 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm an owner of a mini 14 and would never think about shooting squirrel with one. Get you a smaller caliber for that.
2 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4816
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby ga.prime » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Extreme squirrel hunter.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby jltrent » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:41 pm

I have one with the thin barrel that is a few years old. It has a nice action, but hitting a plate at 100 yards is about it.
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm

No kidding. 223 will pretty much vaporize a squirrel, and your eardrums.

I have a Savage Bmag in .17 WSM. Bullets are pretty cheap, it's not super loud, and it's big enough to take a yote if the need arises. Plus it's a tack driver.
0 x

User avatar
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:48 pm

I agree that 223 is way over kill. I have always used 22 shorts or LR. Heck a 410 will do the job just as well to
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7391
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:09 am

5S Cattle wrote:Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos


Old ones were pretty rough but the new ones are significantly better. The action is very dependable though.

Im not a .223/.556 fan so Ive never had much interest in the mini 14. I do have a mini 30 on the list.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22730
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 am

Brute 23 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos


Old ones were pretty rough but the new ones are significantly better. The action is very dependable though.

Im not a .223/.556 fan so Ive never had much interest in the mini 14. I do have a mini 30 on the list.



Mine will punch holes in a clover leaf at 100. It’s one of the newer 582 series since Ruger retooled.
Now that is sitting in a Caldwell lead sled with a good Vortex scope on it.
As far as a weapons platform it’s modeled after the one we defeated the world with.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby jltrent » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:17 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos


Old ones were pretty rough but the new ones are significantly better. The action is very dependable though.

Im not a .223/.556 fan so Ive never had much interest in the mini 14. I do have a mini 30 on the list.



Mine will punch holes in a clover leaf at 100. It’s one of the newer 582 series since Ruger retooled.
Now that is sitting in a Caldwell lead sled with a good Vortex scope on it.
As far as a weapons platform it’s modeled after the one we defeated the world with.


Yes, M1A (M14 select-fire) which was an upgrade from the M1 Garand thumb masher. The Mini has one of the sweetest actions I have ever shot. I waste ammo with it to just experience that smooth action. After market parts, add-ons unlike the AR are very expensive and very few. The AM mags are junk as you mite as well bit the bullet and buy Ruger brand.

The M14 was heavy as lead so they made the lighter Mini and it has taken it until the 582 series to get it right.
1 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ve never shot one I wanted to own. What year did the good ones come out? I did like the action, though I remember some kind of funky bolt lock similar to the 10-22 I think
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16820
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:05 pm

jltrent wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:


The M14 was heavy as lead

Not really.
It's probably the finest combat rifle I ever used.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22730
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:21 pm

SALTBRANCH2 wrote:I agree that 223 is way over kill. I have always used 22 shorts or LR. Heck a 410 will do the job just as well to


I don’t use 22LR anymore too many houses out in the woods now to be shooting up in the air.
Stick with a Browning BPS in 16 or 28 gauge, most of the time the 28.
Use the 16 on deer and hogs.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7401
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
SALTBRANCH2 wrote:I agree that 223 is way over kill. I have always used 22 shorts or LR. Heck a 410 will do the job just as well to


I don’t use 22LR anymore too many houses out in the woods now to be shooting up in the air.
Stick with a Browning BPS in 16 or 28 gauge, most of the time the 28.
Use the 16 on deer and hogs.

I hunt squirrels with a .177 pellet gun, one shot one kill. It's unbelievable how accurate and how hard a good pellet gun shoots. I'll kill more than a 100 squirrels again this year.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests