field dressing

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

field dressing

Postby BRYANT » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

I see pictures on here and other places that show people with deer that have been killed for a while that have not been gutted ,is that a common practice with hunters?
I guess I am old school. and not planning on changing, but I get them gutted as soon as I can. I have killed lots of deer and cut up lots of deer and feel the faster the guts a removed and the cleaner the inside the better the meat. I also cut the smallest hole I can to gut them, it keeps them a lot cleaner while dragging out of the woods but open them up wide when I get to the pick up.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: field dressing

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I gut them as soon as possible. But I open them up to let as much heat escape as possible. Dirt and leafs wash off.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I don’t field dress, I am not farther than a mile from the house.
He is hung on the rack and washed out within minutes after harvest.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 pm

I field dress right where they lay when shot... drag it to the Gator and head for the creek. I have always had really good luck laying the carcass in the creek and letting the 52 degree water clean them up and cool them down. If the weather is cold enough, I like to hang them in the barn for a couple of days before cutting them up! Awe, I love this time of year!!
4 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

I usually don’t clean them until I get to the house, but I’m not very far away. Don’t want to stink up my hunting spots with scent. Skin em, gut em, quarter them and keep the straps and tenderloins separate. Then put em in a cooler in ice for three to five days with the drain open. Will get almost all of the blood out of the meat. Most people can’t distinguish venison from beef if it’s cooked right. Get the blood out and you take away most of the “gamey” taste. I like it either way.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Some people take them straight to the processor, guts and all!
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:41 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I usually don’t clean them until I get to the house, but I’m not very far away. Don’t want to stink up my hunting spots with scent. Skin em, gut em, quarter them and keep the straps and tenderloins separate. Then put em in a cooler in ice for three to five days with the drain open. Will get almost all of the blood out of the meat. Most people can’t distinguish venison from beef if it’s cooked right. Get the blood out and you take away most of the “gamey” taste. I like it either way.

I soak mine in ice water for several days as well. Drain off the bloody water and refill. Mrs has one freezer full of ice waiting on my sorry butt to bring one to the house. Seen eight this morning not a one gave me a shot.
Mix a little beef fat with my hamburger most would think it’s CAB.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 pm

We gut our deer back at the barn if it's cool enough to hang them, or if we're giving them away. Otherwise we just leave the guts in the carcass. I like to age our deer for 10 to 15 days before we process the meat. We can kill 12 deer legally so why not eat just the hams and back strap. We gave away 150+lbs of hamburger, cube steaks and sausage from last year trying to make room for snapper and shrimp.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I usually don’t clean them until I get to the house, but I’m not very far away. Don’t want to stink up my hunting spots with scent. Skin em, gut em, quarter them and keep the straps and tenderloins separate. Then put em in a cooler in ice for three to five days with the drain open. Will get almost all of the blood out of the meat. Most people can’t distinguish venison from beef if it’s cooked right. Get the blood out and you take away most of the “gamey” taste. I like it either way.

I soak mine in ice water for several days as well. Drain off the bloody water and refill. Mrs has one freezer full of ice waiting on my sorry butt to bring one to the house. Seen eight this morning not a one gave me a shot.
Mix a little beef fat with my hamburger most would think it’s CAB.

I love venison. Especially cubed. Actually prefer the cubed venison over cubed beef. My favorite is to take a fresh, never frozen deer ham and cut chunks off of it, beat em up with a coke bottle or a meat hammer, and then put em on the grill. Put that fake squeeze butter on top to keep em moist and cook them about half done. Melt in your mouth.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm

We cube most of ours Mrs will fry it up served with brown gravy,rice and biscuits. I would say venison is 75% of the meat we eat.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 pm

I gut them as soon as I get to them. I have at times used a piece to cord to sew them back shut to keep the dirt out while dragging. Elk I gut and skin right where they lay. Deer season is already come and gone for the year here. Elk season opens next week.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:25 am

Dave wrote:I gut them as soon as I get to them. I have at times used a piece to cord to sew them back shut to keep the dirt out while dragging. Elk I gut and skin right where they lay. Deer season is already come and gone for the year here. Elk season opens next week.

It's opening morning of gun season and our season closes on 1/13/19.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:28 am

Interesting and like hearing how different ways you cook it.
We take a lot of the roast, big batch sometimes 2 slow cookers going at same time, and spice them up good and cook them till they fall apart then take the meat and lay it pans and smoke it just long enough to put the smoke flavor in it then wife re freezes it in small packs to use in tacos and other dishes, even puts it in Jambalaya and most people love it
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 am

Chicken fried or country fried steak....that's 2 different things btw.

Fajita meat, shoulders make 3 good roast each ( you gotta know how to cook). Shanks go in a pot of beans.
Ground meat is used in stews, soups, spaghetti, chili and mixed with pork fat for breakfast sausage.
We used to break up the carcass after quartering, into pieces that would fit in a pot. Boil them until the meat fell off. The cooked meat would be bagged and Frozen and used in pea salad.

And of course fresh fried liver and onions .
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 am

I've ate alot of deer meat cooked all different ways. CS pan fried on the rare side with pepper and Everglades seasoning is my favorite. Putting CS in the crockpot when the spaghetti sauce has about 1 hour left to cook is right at the top also. The trick to good deer meat is having zero silver skin.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”