Hornady xtp in blk powder rifle

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Hornady xtp in blk powder rifle

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm

I love those bullets.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hornady xtp in blk powder rifle

Postby tater74 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 pm

They work well, don't they.

I took a cow elk at 100 yards a few years ago.
1 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:16 am

They're good bullets if you want to hunt with an inline rifle. I muzzle loader hunt with a 50cal TC Hawken using Maxi balls and open sites. I have a TC 50cal Encore with a 3.5x10 Leopold scope and get absolutely no enjoyment hunting with it. I think as you age it becomes more about the hunt than the kill.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 am

True Grit Farms wrote:They're good bullets if you want to hunt with an inline rifle. I muzzle loader hunt with a 50cal TC Hawken using Maxi balls and open sites. I have a TC 50cal Encore with a 3.5x10 Leopold scope and get absolutely no enjoyment hunting with it. I think as you age it becomes more about the hunt than the kill.
I love my Lyman gpr with a patched rb, or hawken with homecast LEE REAL bullets. I have something or other inline and just do not enjoy it.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 am

I always enjoyed side lock muzzleloaders, but I sure as shyt don't miss trying to load a lead buffalo bullet when it's 3 degrees with a wooden ramrod. Talk about a PITA.
I tried the Hornady's last year while trying to get a light load that my 9 year old could shoot comfortably. They worked perfectly.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm

The only enjoyment I get from blackpowder is giving the youngest a hard time. This year we're calling him smoke-job...
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm

I started with a side lock with open sites still have it but got tired of misfires I was using balls the sabots were illegal in VA at one time
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I'll keep my xtp's

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:26 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I'll keep my xtp's

Are you not allowed to to hunt with a center fire rifle?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am

snoopdog wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:They're good bullets if you want to hunt with an inline rifle. I muzzle loader hunt with a 50cal TC Hawken using Maxi balls and open sites. I have a TC 50cal Encore with a 3.5x10 Leopold scope and get absolutely no enjoyment hunting with it. I think as you age it becomes more about the hunt than the kill.
I love my Lyman gpr with a patched rb, or hawken with homecast LEE REAL bullets. I have something or other inline and just do not enjoy it.

I feel the same I have a pile of smokepoles my favorites are the scatter guns. Went to using Alliant Black MZ best powder for performance and cleanup I have found.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/23435
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

We are now they opened it up and allowed rifles last year. We have 3 seasons bow .. black powder.. and general firearms. We are 6 days in black powder season. Once this goes out next Friday we will be using dogs and shotguns/rifles
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

We are now they opened it up and allowed rifles last year. We have 3 seasons bow .. black powder.. and general firearms. We are 6 days in black powder season. Once this goes out next Friday we will be using dogs and shotguns/rifles
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Stand hunting isn't very productive once the dogs are turned out. We drive 50+ miles through the Apalachicola national forest and never see any deer on the sides of roads. The dog hunters run dogs year round for one thing or another. But now since the forest is closed down because of the hurricane we see deer every time we travel back and forth, seen 15 one night last week. I'll have a better idea on what's going on shortly, as the forest should to be opening sometime in the near future.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Are you not allowed to to hunt with a center fire rifle?

Stand hunting isn't very productive once the dogs are turned out. We drive 50+ miles through the Apalachicola national forest and never see any deer on the sides of roads. The dog hunters run dogs year round for one thing or another. But now since the forest is closed down because of the hurricane we see deer every time we travel back and forth, seen 15 one night last week. I'll have a better idea on what's going on shortly, as the forest should to be opening sometime in the near future.

You got about 3 weeks of still hunting here once running dogs start and then they turn nocturnal
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”