Genemax Results

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Genemax Results

Postby Bovine breeder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 pm

I Finally got my Genemax Advantage scores back and thought I would share for discussion. I tested 7 weaned heifers, 6 of which are AI Sired and one is by the cleanup bull. I also tested 7 cows to compare to as a base. Only one of them is AI sired, or even sired by a registered bull.

My first thoughts are, the A.I. sired ones are better, not a big surprise. But it is also very helpful information to have. It uncovered some areas I didn't even realize, or hadn't yet shown to be a problem, like CEM. The old cows scored very poorly in most all areas, which also tells me the cows that had been doing an OK job for me, were just average at best based on their genomic data.

It is also amazing the difference that was made in one generation. There are 5 mothers and daughters on the list, and the AI sired calves all made significant improvements in basically every area. 15 is the dam of 615, and she was sired by a fairly mediocre cleanup bull i had. Her index scores are basically the same as her dams, showing no genetic improvement. 807 is sired by Hickok and her dam is 615, and her cow index score went from 50 to 78!!! Also from a 19 to a 61 on feeder advantage and a 30 to a 75 on total advantage!! Again, not earth shattering news that the AI sired ones are better, but amazing the differnce in one generation when properly quantified.

Last thought is, the data is correct. 601 scored a 92 for CEM, sired by Chinook, who is a +16 CEM (1%)
802's dam is 12, who scored a 69 on marbling. 802 is sired by Brusier with a 0.24 Marbling score (80%) she scored a 27

I Could go on all night but you get the point. Awesome information to have and very excited to see how the next generaton progresses.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Genemax Results

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Help me to understand. Can this data be compared to angus breed averages?

In example:
current non-parent cow breed average is ww 52
top 5% ww 69
Bottom 5% ww 32

your AI sired females average is ww 68.88
herd sire females average ww 33.38
and your group average is ww 53.86

Am I correct in reading the data in this manner?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:34 am

assuming I'm correct then:
your Chinook daughter CEM 92 = top 8% or CEM +13 and the Rampage daughter CEM 9 = bottom 9% or CEM 4

Is there a way to assign a $ Value to Cow Advantage and $ Value to Total Advantage?
0 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:09 am

Son of Butch wrote:assuming I'm correct then:
your Chinook daughter CEM 92 = top 8% or CEM +13 and the Rampage daughter CEM 9 = bottom 9% or CEM 4

Is there a way to assign a $ Value to Cow Advantage and $ Value to Total Advantage?

I don’t think think you can directly compare their raw score to angus breed percentages like that, but it gets you pretty close, or at least in the neighborhood. The Rampage son is actually my cleanup bull, and he is a +4 on his CEM so that one worked out

There are $ dollar values for the index’s. On cow advantage, it’s $10.90 more profit per calf for every 10 units of measure, so around $33 more profit per calf by the AI daughters. On total advantage, it’s $16.60 per calf, so nearly $75 per calf difference
1 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:57 pm

In I50k or AngusGS tests a 98 would be the 98 percentile of the breed. A lower number would be better as in a 2 would be the top 2% of the breed.
So am I understanding correctly that the Genemax numbers work the opposite?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:18 pm

When we did the Zoetis tests on our commercial herd, they also provide you with a "global" low score, high score, and average. Then states where you rank against it. Does this offer a rank vs the breed average?

I saw sires listed there. Did they use that in the equation?
0 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Midtenn wrote:In I50k or AngusGS tests a 98 would be the 98 percentile of the breed. A lower number would be better as in a 2 would be the top 2% of the breed.
So am I understanding correctly that the Genemax numbers work the opposite?

That’s correct. Higher is more, or better in most cases
0 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:When we did the Zoetis tests on our commercial herd, they also provide you with a "global" low score, high score, and average. Then states where you rank against it. Does this offer a rank vs the breed average?

What Zoetis test did you use on your commercial Herd? This genemax test is by Zoetis. There’s no global high low and average score that I’m aware of. As I understand it, a score of 50 is just assumed to be average and higher Is better.

I don’t think the sires play into the scores, I’m pretty sure they’re just for sire match purposes to control inbreeding. At least that’s how it’s presented on the website
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Bovine breeder wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:When we did the Zoetis tests on our commercial herd, they also provide you with a "global" low score, high score, and average. Then states where you rank against it. Does this offer a rank vs the breed average?

What Zoetis test did you use on your commercial Herd? This genemax test is by Zoetis. There’s no global high low and average score that I’m aware of. As I understand it, a score of 50 is just assumed to be average and higher Is better.

I don’t think the sires play into the scores, I’m pretty sure they’re just for sire match purposes to control inbreeding. At least that’s how it’s presented on the website

We did the i50K thru Zoetis. It didn’t do the advantage scores. It would tell us what our High/Low/Avg was and where they ranked amongst the others outside our group.

I could see that our marbling was above average by 14% or that our bw was below average by 5% (I’m just throwing numbers out there)... I’ll have to look into this.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”