Respiratory Issues....

Cattle problems.
Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Respiratory Issues....

Postby Texas Gal » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am

We had a steer looking droopy on Saturday. Of course, we didn't have any of the big gun antibiotics on hand. :frowns: We loaded him up and ran him to the vet's. He had a bit of congestion and a temp of 103 but no nasal discharge, running eyes or cough and was not dehydrated. Vet hit him with banamine and Zuprevo. We've never used Zuprevo before....but then again we haven't had any respiratory issues in YEARS, literally. Fingers crossed this does the trick. Since this group of calves was weaned on October 1st, I thought we were past really worrying about this.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 am

Did you vaccinate at weaning.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Texas Gal » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Yes. However we had an exceptionally rainy October ( 13+ inches) and some wild temperature changes in the last 7 weeks. He's temp is normal and he's chowing down like normal. Hopefully, it was just a random instance but we are watching the rest like a hawk.
2 x

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:07 pm

From your comments TG it sounds as though you're you're a thoughtful and compastionate cattle producer. :tiphat:
Glad your calf is apparently recovering. In the best of circumstances weather challenges can challenge the best laid plans.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9495
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I never heard of Zuprevo. Always something "new and improved".
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I never heard of Zuprevo. Always something "new and improved".


It's only been available for 6 or 7 years.
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I never heard of Zuprevo. Always something "new and improved".

When I had my pneumonia nightmare with my weanlings I was thiiiis close to getting Zuprevo but my vet did caution if I accidently nick or puncture myself I'd better get to the hospital ASAP, similar to Draxxin & Micotil. Treating half my calves & already stressed, I opted for Resflor Gold.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/zuprevo-18.html
1 x

Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Texas Gal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:39 am

None of the others have shown any signs of illness; however, this guy is not eating like he should. No temperature, no running nose or eyes, no cough, not dehydrated and still hangs with the other calves. I'm thinking he probably has been sick longer than we realized and has lung damage.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby elkwc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:48 pm

The one we doctored two weeks ago with Nuflor that looked good last week was hacking Saturday along with another smaller calf. Gave each a dose of Draxxin Saturday and they both acted good yesterday. Will see how they continue to do. Seems what works one time doesn't the next.
0 x

User avatar
Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:13 pm

I've had a few coughing with snotty noses. I've used Draxxin on some, Excede on others. We had a big snow storm Sunday and I sorted off 3 that looked droopy Saturday afternoon. I gave them LA-300. They've responded well to the LA-300. As long as I see good results, I'm going to keep using it instead of the high $$ stuff.
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby TCRanch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Texas Gal wrote:None of the others have shown any signs of illness; however, this guy is not eating like he should. No temperature, no running nose or eyes, no cough, not dehydrated and still hangs with the other calves. I'm thinking he probably has been sick longer than we realized and has lung damage.

Hate to hear that. I doctored one last year (3 months old) for a month, hit him with everything but he didn't make it & I suspect the same thing because he seemed fine until one day he was lagging from the herd but must have been asymptomatic for a while - I probably just didn't catch it in time.

The only other thing I can think of for your little guy is Vitamin B Complex for energy & if a calf isn't eating well I give it a tube of Nursemate ASAP, which is intended for newborns but really seems to help. Can you (if you haven't already) bring him back to the barn? If he's still with the others & doesn't feel well is he getting pushed away from the feed bunk?
0 x

Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Texas Gal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am

TCRanch wrote:Hate to hear that. I doctored one last year (3 months old) for a month, hit him with everything but he didn't make it & I suspect the same thing because he seemed fine until one day he was lagging from the herd but must have been asymptomatic for a while - I probably just didn't catch it in time.

The only other thing I can think of for your little guy is Vitamin B Complex for energy & if a calf isn't eating well I give it a tube of Nursemate ASAP, which is intended for newborns but really seems to help. Can you (if you haven't already) bring him back to the barn? If he's still with the others & doesn't feel well is he getting pushed away from the feed bunk?


He's being fed separately. I even bought him some sweet feed in an attempt to whet his appetite. He also has access to a high energy protein tub. At this point, I'm trying anything I can think of.

It's just so weird that he's totally asymptomatic.We've never had one like this. Oh, well, I can only do the best I can; however, I still feel like I've let him down some how. :(
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 am

Texas Gal wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Hate to hear that. I doctored one last year (3 months old) for a month, hit him with everything but he didn't make it & I suspect the same thing because he seemed fine until one day he was lagging from the herd but must have been asymptomatic for a while - I probably just didn't catch it in time.

The only other thing I can think of for your little guy is Vitamin B Complex for energy & if a calf isn't eating well I give it a tube of Nursemate ASAP, which is intended for newborns but really seems to help. Can you (if you haven't already) bring him back to the barn? If he's still with the others & doesn't feel well is he getting pushed away from the feed bunk?


He's being fed separately. I even bought him some sweet feed in an attempt to whet his appetite. He also has access to a high energy protein tub. At this point, I'm trying anything I can think of.

It's just so weird that he's totally asymptomatic.We've never had one like this. Oh, well, I can only do the best I can; however, I still feel like I've let him down some how. :(


I think we've all been there :( . Sending good luck - he may surprise you!
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7800
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 pm

BRD (Bovine Respiratory Disease) can be viral or bacterial. The bacterial causes can be treated with antibiotics. Personally, I have had good luck with Nuflor. If it is viral, the only treatment is antiviral medications and they are too expensive to use for cattle.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon

Re: Respiratory Issues....

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm

If the ill calves are home raised what is the health protocol of dams prior to calving?
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests