stinkin beaver...

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: stinkin beaver...

Post by greybeard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 pm

may as well start buying the 3 Cs.
conibears
castor
cable

If they have a body of water that has a pretty stable level they usually won't build a dam...no need for a dam ..unless they hear water trickling. They can't stand it and will plug it up because, well...because they're buttholes... only reason mine build a lodge is to increase the height of their 'living quarters' above the high water mark so they can rear their young in the dry.

But, as the colony increases in numbers due to breeding each year, some will move down wherever your pond overflows to and build a dam downstream from the backside your pond dam, thus creating a new pond. they are monogamous, have 3-5 young each year and the young reach breeding age at around 2 years so it doesn't take long for the colonies to reach a size that they need to expand the acre ft of water they have available.

"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:45 am

Yes, they keep coming back damming our creek. Don't know about elsewhere, but we have to get a permit to trap them. I wouldn't bother if I was doing the trapping, but generally get someone else to come here & harvest them.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 pm

I looked at NY regs. That sucks. Looks like a permit is needed to trap/shoot them and at least one more permit needed to remove the dams.

We don't need no stinkin permit....or even a license. I DO have to check the traps at least once every 36 hrs tho.
From Texas.gov:

Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license. However, fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken for these purposes may not be retained or possessed by anyone at any time except licensed trappers during the lawful open season and possession periods.

Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured and relocated if the person has received authorization from the department and the owner of the property where the release will occur. A monthly report is required and must be submitted to the department on number and kind of fur-bearers captured, location of release site, name and address of person authorized to release.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Morison
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Morison » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 pm

jltrent wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm
Oh my, how horrible and disgusting is this photos. Poor beavers! It looks like extermination!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:11 am

the work never ends..
Just got thru hauling that one to the far end of the property and saw this one when I was crossing back over the dam on the 4 wheeler..without a rifle.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:52 am

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 am

I set a game cam up yesterday evening, near the lodge with the aim at a trail I could tell the beavers had been moving back and forth on. (Lodge is just out of view to the left in these pictures.)

Image..

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:45 am

The first two threads I check every morning are Greybead vs the Beaver and Caustic Bruno vs the Hog.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 am

Another tried his luck, I believe is the same one that was on the game cam.
The water has warmed up and this one was in there a bit long. Smelled pretty rank. from 2 days ago.

Pulled the SD card this morning and evidently last time I put the SD card back in and formatted it, I accidentally switched from photo to video and found I now have 8 dead AA batteries that aren't but a few days old, nearly 30gb and about 20 hrs of nothing but 1 bullfrog, a lot of little waves on the water, hrs and hrs of weeds and grass blowing in the wind, one cow that walked in front, and 2 tiny white spiders that crawled across the lens.... them batteries ain't cheap.
:oops: :(

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:56 pm

greybeard wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 am
I set a game cam up yesterday evening, near the lodge with the aim at a trail I could tell the beavers had been moving back and forth on. (Lodge is just out of view to the left in these pictures.)

Image..

I hate those storks worse than hogs.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:45 am

greybeard wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 am
Pulled the SD card this morning and evidently last time I put the SD card back in and formatted it, I accidentally switched from photo to video and found I now have 8 dead AA batteries that aren't but a few days old, nearly 30gb and about 20 hrs of nothing but 1 bullfrog, a lot of little waves on the water, hrs and hrs of weeds and grass blowing in the wind, one cow that walked in front, and 2 tiny white spiders that crawled across the lens.... them batteries ain't cheap.
:oops: :(
:lol:

Those batteries sure don't last long.....I set one of mine up to just see how much traffic and who was on my road. Kinda boring, but then again interesting looking at the pictures. THose driveway alarms are pretty nice also except for the false alarms sometimes.