Question to any catfish farmers

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 pm

great blue herons are usually pretty skittish of humans. i dont think they are much to worry about assuming there is enough deep water for fish to be safe in. i dont do anything about predatory birds and the fishin here aint hurtin.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Mike, while I'm asking, is there any truth that the flesh of the catfish is firmer and sweeter if harvested during the cooler months of the year?

My plans are to invite some elderly gentlemen from an assisted living home to the pond and let them catch a bunch of fish. We can then take the fish back to the home and treat the ladies to a fish fry. :P

I'd like the fish to be at their best. I'd also like the fishing to be at its best as well since we will have plenty of mouths to feed.

Right now, the fish are about 8-10 inches in total length and I'm not really sure how to best time things. How much bigger should I let them get? And if there is anything to the cool water thing, when do you think the optimal time for hookability and edibility? (I hope I'm making sense)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

auctionboy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Question to any catfish farmers

Postby auctionboy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I rencently put in a catfish pond and have it stocked to the guidelines with chanel catfish. Been blue/grey herons visiting the pond about the time the feeder cranks up. Yesterday I found one with a 10" fish in his mouth. After imobilizing the bird, I tried to free the fish but he had a puncture thru its head.

Question. How bad are these birds on a pond? How many do they eat a day? I know I shouldn't immobilize the birds since I'm sure its illegal but I am hoping to use the pond for recreational purposes for some elder folks and don't want anything messing with my plans. Any advice would be appreciated. Am just getting on the learning curve on this one. :oops:

If you want these ponds for recreational purposes don't you think the people would enjoy seeing the wildlife?
0 x
king of all that is auctions

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Question to any catfish farmers

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm

auctionboy wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:I rencently put in a catfish pond and have it stocked to the guidelines with chanel catfish. Been blue/grey herons visiting the pond about the time the feeder cranks up. Yesterday I found one with a 10" fish in his mouth. After imobilizing the bird, I tried to free the fish but he had a puncture thru its head.

Question. How bad are these birds on a pond? How many do they eat a day? I know I shouldn't immobilize the birds since I'm sure its illegal but I am hoping to use the pond for recreational purposes for some elder folks and don't want anything messing with my plans. Any advice would be appreciated. Am just getting on the learning curve on this one. :oops:

If you want these ponds for recreational purposes don't you think the people would enjoy seeing the wildlife?

Recreation is secondary. Fish production is my primary goal. The fish, like the cattle, will be another source of revenue I can use to pay my taxes with.

My concern is how much impact will these birds have on the fish population. I know these birds bring in eggs and seed from undesirables as well - mud cat and jack fish just to name a few.

If they are going to kill fish for the sake of killing them, I will use some control measures. If they aren't going to have much impact, I can coexist with them.

As I said, I'm just trying to find out what kind of impact these birds are going to have on the catfish pond.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Postby MikeC » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 am

Jogeephus wrote:Mike, while I'm asking, is there any truth that the flesh of the catfish is firmer and sweeter if harvested during the cooler months of the year?

My plans are to invite some elderly gentlemen from an assisted living home to the pond and let them catch a bunch of fish. We can then take the fish back to the home and treat the ladies to a fish fry. :P

I'd like the fish to be at their best. I'd also like the fishing to be at its best as well since we will have plenty of mouths to feed.

Right now, the fish are about 8-10 inches in total length and I'm not really sure how to best time things. How much bigger should I let them get? And if there is anything to the cool water thing, when do you think the optimal time for hookability and edibility? (I hope I'm making sense)

I don't know anything about fish being better tasting in cool weather.

If it were true, I would think the catfish processors would harvest them in cool weather only.

They will get an off-flavor taste if they are too populated. This usually happens in the late Summer-Fall. The processor/buyer sends a guy out to catch one or two, put them in hot grease with no seasoning and eats them. If they have that "muddy" taste they pay less.

This usually happens in older ponds that have 3000-5000 fish per acre.

http://www.uaex.edu/aquaculture2/FSA/FSA9051.htm
0 x
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for the link Mike. Sounds like I need to wait till at least October.
0 x

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:35 pm

I have the grey hurons here. They fly in and wade around my ponds. I have seen them catch 8 to 10" bass by impaling them and then grabbing them up in their beaks. I haven't gotten frustrated enough to immobilize them yet. Could happen though.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”