Bow draw weight

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
HOSS
GURU
GURU

Bow draw weight

Postby HOSS » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:33 am

I was thinking back today on the changes that I have made in bow draw weight over the last 18 years. As a younker I thought draw weight was the key to great penetration. I started out shooting at 70 pounds then went to 80 and finished up at about 91 pounds of draw weight. Reality hit me when on a black bear hunt up in Canada I shot a big blackie at 15 yards with my 91 pound Golden Eagle Pro Formula 3-D. The arrow passed through the bear broadside and penetrated through 6" of dirt and into a tree root that was under the grounds surface. It buried the broadhead so deep that I couldn't pull it out and had to unscrew the shaft from the head and leave it there. It was obvious that I was pulling all of this weight for nothing. I backed off back to 80 pounds. A few deer, hogs,elk and one moose later I realized that I was still blowing arrows clean through even on the moose. I backed off down to 75 for a year or two with the same results. To make a long story short both bucks that I shot last year I had my bow set on 70 pounds with the arrows still blowing through like I was shooting paper. This year I have bought a new Mathews Switchback XT and I have it set on 62 pounds. Every year the performance of bows increases so the 62 pounds that I am now shooting is out performing the 75 pounds that I was shooting a just a few years ago. At 91 pounds I was chrono's about 315 fps with the Golden Eagle. At 62 pounds I chrono about 270 with the Mathews. I have found that over 280-285 fps it takes a heck of a lot more tuning to get a fixed blade broadhead to fly straight. I am having more fun now then ever by getting to shoot more than I tune, equipment holds up better and so does my shoulders. The icing on the cake is that things get just as dead with much less hassle. Has anyone else went through this same metamorphisis?
0 x

rattler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rattler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:22 pm

Hoss i shot 70lbs for a wile but too much wear and tear on sholder's and elbow's plus i found i shoot better at 60lbs i'll give up a little speed anytime for accuracy.

rattler
0 x
Hard Work equals success No Work equals failure

curtis
GURU
GURU

Postby curtis » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:35 pm

I shot a Mathews MQ32 for years but finally gave it up because of a bad shoulder.
Today i bought a PSE cross bow with 165 lb. pull with red dot sites. Its easy to shoot and deadly accurate.
0 x
Noah was the best herdsman.

Horticattleman
GURU
GURU

Postby Horticattleman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:50 pm

I pull 68 lbs. and have no need to go to 90 lbs. or some crap like that. I'm with you rattler, I would rather shoot often and manage it then just get a few in.
0 x
If my avatar offends you, you need a history lesson!

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”