Cow guard dog.

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Cow guard dog.

Postby M-5 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm

I lease some pasture from my nephew and he lives on the property. He is in his early 20s and drug home a Blue Healer puppy a while back. The puppy road with him as a truck dog for a period of time until other interest took hold and he was relegated to just being a yard dog. About a month and a 1/2 ago he with to VA with his mother to visit family and was gone a week and my son was in charge of feeding him (in his 20's also) and I would make a point to check behind him when checking cows every couple days. The dog would always be on the front porch when i went back there . About a week after that I started seeing him near the cows some afternoons and being a healer i was concerned he was harassing them. I watched on several occasions and whether the cows were laying or grazing he was just walking amongist them. Several times I thought I had a new calf only to find he was laying with them. Fast forward to last Wednesday. I was feeding my dogs when I her a whack and a dog yelping . I saw my mothers car turning around down the road and I jumped on the kubota and went to see what was wrong. she was heading to church and said she was looking right at the cows and at the time thought my sons boxer ran out in front of her and she hit him . said he took off thru the pasture heading to the back. She was very upset but I told her i would find out which one it was and take care of it if need be. I immediately went to my sons and his dog was at home then checked my nephews and Percy was there but was skidish . I let her know that it had to have been The blue healer but he seemed ok. the next day he was with the cows in the back pasture as usual so he wasn't hurt . I have started giving a little feed every afternoon to get ready to wean some calves and he comes to the house with them. I caught him last Saturday curled up with some calves and when I tried to get a picture he got up and started a patrol circling back and forth . The cows do not pay any attn to him unless he walks too close they will swing there head toward him. Sunday after noon i heard him barking and carrying on so I went to investigate and he and a couple of 600# calves were playing . It has become quite comical to us and we think that week of no real interaction with people caused him to find new friends. I have the wife's camera with zoom lens ready to try this weekend to get a picture . I have also started giving him a cup of feed every afternoon when the cows get their treat .
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cow guard dog.

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Not guarding....just a companion to them...or, He thinks he's a cow...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Neighbor had a collie mix show up with his cows a couple or three years ago. It was a stray and no one claimed it. It stayed with the cows 24/7 so he started throwing some food out. No reports of it chasing anything off or even herding them for that matter. Just took up residence with his small herd.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 pm

previous owner of our place had a sheep that thought it was a blue heeler.. never heard of it the other way around
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

I had a goat just show up one time and it would not join the herd , she stayed with the cows even tho they were running in same pasture.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 pm

M-5 wrote:I lease some pasture from my nephew and he lives on the property. He is in his early 20s and drug home a Blue Healer puppy a while back. The puppy road with him as a truck dog for a period of time until other interest took hold and he was relegated to just being a yard dog. About a month and a 1/2 ago he with to VA with his mother to visit family and was gone a week and my son was in charge of feeding him (in his 20's also) and I would make a point to check behind him when checking cows every couple days. The dog would always be on the front porch when i went back there . About a week after that I started seeing him near the cows some afternoons and being a healer i was concerned he was harassing them. I watched on several occasions and whether the cows were laying or grazing he was just walking amongist them. Several times I thought I had a new calf only to find he was laying with them. Fast forward to last Wednesday. I was feeding my dogs when I her a whack and a dog yelping . I saw my mothers car turning around down the road and I jumped on the kubota and went to see what was wrong. she was heading to church and said she was looking right at the cows and at the time thought my sons boxer ran out in front of her and she hit him . said he took off thru the pasture heading to the back. She was very upset but I told her i would find out which one it was and take care of it if need be. I immediately went to my sons and his dog was at home then checked my nephews and Percy was there but was skidish . I let her know that it had to have been The blue healer but he seemed ok. the next day he was with the cows in the back pasture as usual so he wasn't hurt . I have started giving a little feed every afternoon to get ready to wean some calves and he comes to the house with them. I caught him last Saturday curled up with some calves and when I tried to get a picture he got up and started a patrol circling back and forth . The cows do not pay any attn to him unless he walks too close they will swing there head toward him. Sunday after noon i heard him barking and carrying on so I went to investigate and he and a couple of 600# calves were playing . It has become quite comical to us and we think that week of no real interaction with people caused him to find new friends. I have the wife's camera with zoom lens ready to try this weekend to get a picture . I have also started giving him a cup of feed every afternoon when the cows get their treat .

Sounds like you found a good one.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 am

It's a Florida thing, dogs can't relate to being what they are, and neither can most folks.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:It's a Florida thing, dogs can't relate to being what they are, and neither can most folks.

:lol2: So are you saying that it took moving to Georgia for you to relate to what you are? :lol2: :lol2: Forgive me Vince, I couldn’t help myself :lol2:
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:57 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It's a Florida thing, dogs can't relate to being what they are, and neither can most folks.

:lol2: So are you saying that it took moving to Georgia for you to relate to what you are? :lol2: :lol2: Forgive me Vince, I couldn’t help myself :lol2:

I moved to Georgia so there was folks that could relate to me, and now look at the governor's race. If you run with dogs you get fleas, I didn't want my puppies growing up like that.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

I moved to Georgia so there was folks that could relate to me, and now look at the governor's race. If you run with dogs you get fleas, I didn't want my puppies growing up like that.

I’m with you there. Sure hope this one works out like it’s supposed to. Times are changing and I don’t like most of it but I guess I can’t stop it either.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

My best friend has a buck that's been hanging with her herd for probably about 4 months now. I suspect he'll leave when the rut starts but it is awfully strange to see him out there and he's used to her Polaris, doesn't run.
1 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”