Horse feed

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Horse feed

Postby houstoncutter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Need some input, I have an old horse 34 years old to be exact. Very thin and starting to slobber when eating. At present we’re feeding Wenlandts All In One. He still has his appetite. I assume it’s a teeth issue. Any suggestions on a different feed.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Horse feed

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm

houstoncutter wrote:Need some input, I have an old horse 34 years old to be exact. Very thin and starting to slobber when eating. At present we’re feeding Wenlandts All In One. He still has his appetite. I assume it’s a teeth issue. Any suggestions on a different feed.

Has he got any teeth left to float? 34 years is a dang good run for a horse.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

First and foremost get his teeth checked and consult your vet about overall health... without proper teeth alignment, it is nearly impossible for a horse to properly breakdown the feed appropriately (you can tell a lot by looking at his droppings to see if grain is being ground and utilized, or just passing straight through). Is this horse able to eat hay and/or roughage of any kind? The majority of senior feeds are "complete" feeds that have the roughage and grains all in one feed. Purina makes a very good senior feed called Purina Equine Senior... it has an added fat supplement called Amplify... Amplify is the #1 Vet recommended fat additive. You can purchase Amplify separately and top dress it on any feed that you are currently using. If the teeth are good and everything else checks out OK... I would highly recommend adding fat to a good quality feed to try to put weight on.
1 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:34 am

I think a pelleted feed eases the load on their teeth.

Ken
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 am

We’ve kept some ancients above ground on pelleted feed, rice bran, and really good tender hay. Have even wet the pellets, but not all of them like mush.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Turkeybird
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 pm

4 ensures and a giant aspirin twice a day
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 pm

houstoncutter wrote:Need some input, I have an old horse 34 years old to be exact. Very thin and starting to slobber when eating. At present we’re feeding Wenlandts All In One. He still has his appetite. I assume it’s a teeth issue. Any suggestions on a different feed.

One of the best senior horse feeds I've ever seen is made by TDI Horse Feeds but I have no idea if they have any dealers in your area. It's composed of a high protein pellet loaded with prebiotics and probiotics, chelated minerals, vitamins, and fat along with the major ingredients. This pellet is then mixed with corn and a large amount of highly digestible beet pulp shreds and molasses. Horses love it and it has adequate energy adn is highly digestible. Not cheap but pure quality.
www.tdihorsefeeds.com
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the input. Got his teeth floated, and he has developed parrot teeth. Switched him from One and Only to the Purina Senior and will be checking into some of these other feeds. He is already doing better
2 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:01 pm

The suggestion of rice bran is a good one! Show cattle people love it for the way it puts a nice smooth layer of condition on an animal. I have also top dressed feed for halter horses with corn oil! If that can't put weight on an otherwise healthy horse, I don't know what will! Also, a regular dose of probisis/yogurt is great for older horses.
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 76 Bar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:47 am

Glad to hear your old boy is doing better. Regular dental care is definitely a priority for old timers. Have had my 31 1/2 yr old mare on LMF (all in one senior product manufactured in my region) locally plus free choice alfalfa. She looks ok but felt she needed a bit more condition. Small local feed store recommended a number of products including Purina Senior as well as Purina Senior Active. Switched her to the latter with good results. Reviewing the ingredients and percentages indicates it has a little more bang for the buck.
Good tips BJB. Have heard the same. Apparently the only drawback to corn oil is the lack of palatability with some horses.
I presume the yogurt should be regular and not low fat :lol:
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

76 Bar wrote:Glad to hear your old boy is doing better. Regular dental care is definitely a priority for old timers. Have had my 31 1/2 yr old mare on LMF (all in one senior product manufactured in my region) locally plus free choice alfalfa. She looks ok but felt she needed a bit more condition. Small local feed store recommended a number of products including Purina Senior as well as Purina Senior Active. Switched her to the latter with good results. Reviewing the ingredients and percentages indicates it has a little more bang for the buck.
Good tips BJB. Have heard the same. Apparently the only drawback to corn oil is the lack of palatability with some horses.
I presume the yogurt should be regular and not low fat :lol:

LOL! I had a mare who would knock you flat on your butt if you got between her and a big ol' tub of dannon vanilla! I bought her as a 4 year old with a really bad case of track burn out. She could only pick up a left lead and had mush between her ears, but man was she fast. She would be super skinny for a while, then completely obese and then back to skinny (with no change in diet or exercise). After a ridiculous amount of testing, it was discovered she could not main a healthy gut. The solution was weekly doses of probisis....yogurt was the economical answer and she loved it. It didn't make her any smarter, but it made her healthy enough to earn me some paychecks!
0 x

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:36 pm

ROTFL of the mental picture of Ms Empty Head trampling you to get to her yogurt! QH or TB?
Long time believer in the health benefits of probiotics/lacto bacillus for man and beast. Will hafta see if my smart as a whip ancient A-rab girlie will likewise indulge. Hopefully she's not so snooty as to demand the Greek version over run of the mill USA stuff.
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm

76 Bar wrote:ROTFL of the mental picture of Ms Empty Head trampling you to get to her yogurt! QH or TB?
Long time believer in the health benefits of probiotics/lacto bacillus for man and beast. Will hafta see if my smart as a whip ancient A-rab girlie will likewise indulge. Hopefully she's not so snooty as to demand the Greek version over run of the mill USA stuff.

She was a QH....one of the few truly spastic ones I've ever rode. She could side pass and back up at a run. Outside of the arena, I usually rode her bareback with a snaffle on a snug rein just to keep her collected...kind of. Practicing a pattern consisted of a turn or two each way around a five gallon pail on the middle of the lawn. Any sign of a barrel or arena, and she just lost it. She never was mean or really hot, or even what I consider gate sour, but I always had to be led or get of and lead her backwards into an arena. She was kind of like a pin ball on 4 legs...I just pointed her in the right direction and held on for dear life Lol!

If you have a picky one, try mixing just a bit into some sweet feed to get her going on it.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”