I lost my Jed today

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

I lost my Jed today

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 am

We are in severe drought here and I have my cows and calves in my old tin mine which is of poor quality thick scrub. I take in a grain mix each morning and they have to scrounge up the roughage for the rest of the day. Today I took in the feed and then proceeded further in to plant about half a dozen kikuyu runners on a large dam wall that I recently repaired, only takes a few minutes and I try to make a habit of it everytime I go in there. Jed runs along ahead of the UTV and has a good time. Today I saw him double back and was stalking something in the scrub and headed towards the main track to head it off, I thought it must have been a roo. I did my planting which only takes a few minutes and heard a bit of a noise but thought he must have a roo baled up. My Jack Russell heard the noise and went off to investigate, I head back and just along the main track I see this black thing on the track and thought it must be a pig but then said to myself a pig would not have Jeds blue cattle tag and collar on it and then I looked further down the track and saw a wild dog (dingo/ domestic cross) disappear into the scrub. Jed was still alive gasping from damage to the neck and throat, I took him home and he died about 3 hours later. Jed is a Kelpie about 18kg, very strong and fit dog but not a fighter, he was obviously overpowered. He was a faithfull companion and very handy with the cattle, I will really miss him.

My little Jack Russell met back up with us as I was leaving the tin mine much to my relief as I thought I may have lost both of them. She must have seen what was happening as she seems pretty traumatized. I sighted in the 223 this arvo and it will go with me now but the opportunity to get a shot in is limited in this close country, a handgun would be very handy or even a sawn off shotgun. I will probably borrow some traps from a friend. A neighbour over the back who does a lot of dog trapping has been getting a few photos on his cameras so I am hoping it is the same dog as he will have traps set.

Ken

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: I lost my Jed today

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am

Well that stinks. Sorry for your loss.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:36 am

Oh, Ken, that's horrible! I'm so sorry :cry2:

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:42 am

Sorry, Ken. You just got to roll with it. I still have memories of losing dogs when I was pre-teens. It never leaves. Just roll with it.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 am

Hate to hear that Ken. They really are like family.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 am

Sorry to hear that, no two dogs are the same. My brother had a dingo cross, bloody mongrel of a thing and should have been shot. He eventually got rid of it, never said why but i think he became scared of what it might do. This dog had that dingo mentality where you couldn't stop it's instincts. It could run at over 60kmh alongside the motorbike and seen it catch and kill an emu. My brother saw it take down a 5ft tall roo. Catch a snake and would shake it so fast it was a blur, bits of snake flying everywhere. But the scary thing was once it decided something was a target you couldn't stop it with that dingo cross mentality.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 am

that sucks :(
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:55 pm

My heat breaks for you. I've been graced with top notch working Kelpies for over 40 years and mourn the loss of each one.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:02 pm

I am so sorry :cry2: over the rainbow bridge to wait for us.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Sorry, Ken. Losing one to old age or illness is one thing, but having one attacked would really hurt.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts, it has been tough, very lonely this morning when the usual ritual of the 6 o'clock news I would go out on the back verandah and let Jed out of his pen and then we go around feeding the cows, very empty feeling.

I have decided to jump straight back on the bike. I have been doing a bit of searching over the last few weeks with regard to getting another be nice as Jed while still very fit was around 8 years old and sort of thinking in terms of succession planning. There is a very good Working Kelpie breeder just a couple of hours north of here and she has a nice black and tan puppy be nice from very good working parents which come from the heart of her renowned working families and I hope to get up there this arvo to pick her up. I am sure Jed would not mind, only that he is not here to teach it.

Ken

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

I feel your pain and I sympathize with you. I had to put down our 14-year-old Golden (kids dog) a couple of years ago. Something I never want to have to do again. I have lost many pets in my increasingly long life, it is never easy regardless of the cause.

I hope I am not being out of line here, but my father always told me of a story when he visiting a farm. The old guy who owned the farm kept cussing his dog to get out of the way and quit chasing the cows. A few minutes later, a cow kicked the dog in the head and the guy started crying saying, "Omg it killed my dog!"
Out pets are just like family.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:17 am

I was going to suggest looking for a new pup. I always found that was the best thing I could do to fill that hole in your heart.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:13 am

Sorry for your losing your dog. I hope you get the sorry piece of be nice that got it. Those crosses seem to be even worse about going after and killing things than the wild ones. Here the coy-dogs are bigger and bolder than the coyotes and have very little fear of much of anything.
Best of luck with the new pup.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am

So sorry.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown