Anatolian Shepard

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Anatolian Shepard

Postby HSTexas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm

I think this is the dog I would like to have once I have livestock. If it's a girl dog its Margo .
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Anatolian Shepard

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm

HSTexas wrote:I think this is the dog I would like to have once I have livestock. If it's a girl dog its Margo .

Sir, you will be wearing that dog for clothing after we take the shirt off your back in damage claims.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:19 pm

I have one - Great dog
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby HSTexas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm

HDRider wrote:I have one - Great dog

That is good to know. I had a blue healer one time . My kingdom needs majestic dog.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 pm

The old ladies here have one. I offer to shoot it on a daily basis (not to the old gals).
0 x

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm

We have a Pyrenees/Anatolian mix, Buddy. Male, 4 years old and about 110 lbs, goes everywhere on the farm with my wife. He trots along beside the Gator. Nothing or nobody is going to mess with her.
He thinks the place belongs to him and we all just live there. He does a perimeter patrol around the 40 acre pasture at the house at least once daily.
1 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:15 am

OleScout wrote:We have a Pyrenees/Anatolian mix, Buddy. Male, 4 years old and about 110 lbs, goes everywhere on the farm with my wife. He trots along beside the Gator. Nothing or nobody is going to mess with her.
He thinks the place belongs to him and we all just live there. He does a perimeter patrol around the 40 acre pasture at the house at least once daily.

Have always heard that cross is better than either breed pure bred. Had a couple of pyrenees over the years and they too would make that perimeter trip ever afternoon, woofing about every 30 seconds and peeing about ever 100 feet :nod: Great with kids but he// on coyotes and anything else that came int he pasture.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 am

We used to just call dogs that bark when something comes around and that would run predators off just, well...dogs.
Nowadays tho, if you want to be a 'real' farmer, you gotta have an "LGD". A Livestock Guard Dog.
Wanna sell a noisy dog? List it as an 'LGD' and the world will come a knockin with fistfulls of $$ in hand.
A whole industry has sprung up around this new age phenom and people are making tons of cash off it.

A dang ol blue eyed lep or yella cur will do the same thing but they don't count because they ain't among the anointed breeds of the cool and man bunned hobbyist....gotta be a pyr or anatolian or it just ain't squat.
Biggest marketing gimmick since CAB.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 am

greybeard wrote:We used to just call dogs that bark when something comes around and that would run predators off just, well...dogs.
Nowadays tho, if you want to be a 'real' farmer, you gotta have an "LGD". A Livestock Guard Dog.
Wanna sell a noisy dog? List it as an 'LGD' and the world will come a knockin with fistfulls of $$ in hand.
A whole industry has sprung up around this new age phenom and people are making tons of cash off it.

A dang ol blue eyed lep or yella cur will do the same thing but they don't count because they ain't among the anointed breeds of the cool and man bunned hobbyist....gotta be a pyr or anatolian or it just ain't squat.

Had a couple of those old yella cur dogs try to cross my pasture. That big male Great Pyrenees (LGD) not only chased them down but turned them into buzzard bait. I never really called mine a LGD but he was big and he would guard the animals and he was a dog. They don't just bark.Actually mine seldom bark. :mrgreen:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:03 am

greybeard wrote:We used to just call dogs that bark when something comes around and that would run predators off just, well...dogs.

I respectively disagree. You can see the adoption and protection nature in the animal. Both of mine are GP/AS mix, siblings. One looks GP (male) and one looks AS (female).

They make a perfect team. He is bigger and stronger, hangs back out of sight but there at a moments notice when she calls. She stays with the sheep almost always and runs like the wind.

They are pure entertainment when they wrestle each other. You can see how they practice their fighting skills. He is north of 110, she is about 90. Less than two years old.
2 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 am

The old ladies Anatolian barks all night. He barks at his own shadow. They claim he chases the deer off but he will be out in the pasture barking while the deer are in the yard eating their roses. The only livestock they have is 9 Llamas and 4 donkeys, all which don't need any guarding.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am

Dave wrote:The old ladies Anatolian barks all night. He barks at his own shadow. They claim he chases the deer off but he will be out in the pasture barking while the deer are in the yard eating their roses. The only livestock they have is 9 Llamas and 4 donkeys, all which don't need any guarding.

May he is telling you to get some real livestock
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

I heard HSTexas was a weekender/city slicker so that's probably why he's interested in those breeds. May even have a man bun...
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 pm

M-5 wrote:
Dave wrote:The old ladies Anatolian barks all night. He barks at his own shadow. They claim he chases the deer off but he will be out in the pasture barking while the deer are in the yard eating their roses. The only livestock they have is 9 Llamas and 4 donkeys, all which don't need any guarding.

May he is telling you to get some real livestock

He doesn't have to tell me anything. Right after offering to shoot the dog, I offer to haul off the Llamas and donkeys. When the wife bought this place she gave the old gals a life time estate to live in the big house and use half the pasture.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”