Going to miss her...

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Going to miss her...

Postby 1982vett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 am

I found a lump on her last October. Cancer. She lasted a lot longer than I expected. Most of the time she wasn’t far from my side. Always watched my back when I was working cattle. Just feisty enough the cattle didn’t try. The last 9 months I watched for the sign telling me it was time. She made it to her 14th birthday last month. October 4th would have been 14 years since I got her. I could tell this last week she was becoming slow in her stride and didn’t always get up to follow me around the house but if she heard the keys rattle she got up as fast as possible and followed me out the door. As a youngster she could jump on top a 5 ft round bale with ease. I finally convinced her to let me help her in the truck a couple months ago and I noticed last week she stood back with a look saying I just can’t do that.

Sunday morning her breathing became short and she passed blood in her stool. I could tell she struggled just to go outside to potty and her ravenous appetite of the last 9 months had backed off. She was tired.

She was pampered a bit this morning. I tried to get a few pictures but she has always been camera shy and looks away. We sat on the front porch for a while this mornin while she walked around a bit smelling the air. She came and lay down by me and got her head petted and ears scratched. We went back inside and I opened a can of chicken noodle soup. Now that perked her up. She loved chicken noodle soup. I watched her on the way to the vet. She sat up staring out the window like she used to. Her last ride.

Buried her overlooking the tank where my other two Labs are buried.

She will be missed.
6 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Going to miss her...

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:37 am

Always hard losing them. Sorry.
2 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:43 am

Sorry hurts to loose your running mate.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Very sad.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Heart wrenching! So sorry. You are truly blessed to have her 14 years - that's a long time for a Lab. She's crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
1 x

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Such a wise, all knowing face. The worst part of having heart dog's is the likelihood of out living them and all too often, having to help them cross the Rainbow Bridge. My heart is heavy for you loss.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Been there, done that.

Never easy.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the condolences. Means a lot.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:14 pm

1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:20 pm

That's the worst job, sorry for your loss.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I had to put a 13 1/2 year member of the family down last Labor Day! It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I feel your pain and you have my thoughts and prayers!
0 x

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 pm

1982vett wrote:Image

I found a lump on her last October. Cancer. She lasted a lot longer than I expected. Most of the time she wasn’t far from my side. Always watched my back when I was working cattle. Just feisty enough the cattle didn’t try. The last 9 months I watched for the sign telling me it was time. She made it to her 14th birthday last month. October 4th would have been 14 years since I got her. I could tell this last week she was becoming slow in her stride and didn’t always get up to follow me around the house but if she heard the keys rattle she got up as fast as possible and followed me out the door. As a youngster she could jump on top a 5 ft round bale with ease. I finally convinced her to let me help her in the truck a couple months ago and I noticed last week she stood back with a look saying I just can’t do that.

Sunday morning her breathing became short and she passed blood in her stool. I could tell she struggled just to go outside to potty and her ravenous appetite of the last 9 months had backed off. She was tired.

She was pampered a bit this morning. I tried to get a few pictures but she has always been camera shy and looks away. We sat on the front porch for a while this mornin while she walked around a bit smelling the air. She came and lay down by me and got her head petted and ears scratched. We went back inside and I opened a can of chicken noodle soup. Now that perked her up. She loved chicken noodle soup. I watched her on the way to the vet. She sat up staring out the window like she used to. Her last ride.

She will be missed.

We have never met and probably never will - but in this I must say this - the absolute best to you from my house to yours. Always remember that friend and someday I pray you will meet again.

L
3 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 pm

My wife and I have one that's 14. He's still going strong but time is not in his corner. I dread the day he leaves here. We have two more but it's still gonna be bad. They get to mean more to you than some people do. Best wishes Vette.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm

1982vett wrote:Image

She will be missed.

sorry for your loss... I no longer have any pet dogs because it hurts to get attached then lose them. I may someday get another pet dog
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 am

Sky, I don’t plan to get another either. We’ve said goodby to 3 over the past 15 years. When the kids come and bring their dogs it’s to many anyway....especially when they don’t get along all that well. Wife has a pain-in-my-butt yappy Pomeranian that will probably live another 100 years. The dog drama is far from over.

Several months ago I did run across a puppy available for adoption that looked like Gretchen made over. Tugged at me a little but I resisted. :D
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”