Got a question.

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got a question.

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm

1982vett wrote:What do you do with your dog(s) when you go out of town for a few days? Do you have facilities for them to be on their own? Have someone take care of them? Or do you take them with you?

I don't leave often anymore or for long, but if I do, someone looks after them, and they come here to do it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 pm

TCRanch wrote:
1982vett wrote:Wondering what it generally cost to board a dog? Guessing that might vary quite a bit.

Generally isn't cheap & it's way less expensive here in KS than when we lived in AZ or TX. I'd definitely visit the facility prior to make sure it's clean, up to code, staff is friendly/knowledgeable, animals look happy, etc. One alternative is your vet; either they may board or have recommendations. If you're going to be gone quite a while I'd suggest getting someone to house sit.

Back in 2010, wife insisted I go with her to visit her parents in north Texas since her other 3 sisters were going to be there too. We arranged for one of her friends to house and critter sit (someone else looked after the cows) but the house sitter called the day after we left and said she left in the middle of the night and wouldn't be going back. "Too dark, too far out and too many strange noises"....IOW, she got scared of the boogie man and ran. That was the last time I tried to find a house sitter.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 am

greybeard wrote:
1982vett wrote:What do you do with your dog(s) when you go out of town for a few days? Do you have facilities for them to be on their own? Have someone take care of them? Or do you take them with you?

I don't leave often anymore or for long, but if I do, someone looks after them, and they come here to do it.

My preference would be to stay home however I do enjoy myself when I do go somewhere. Guess I have a touch of separation anxeity also. :lol: Stems mostly from the two years I spent on the road working (before I had dogs to care for). After I quit that I never had much desire to go anywhere. When I got the dogs i didn’t like leavin* them behind just to go somewhere either.

Been 10 days now that Gretchen is gone. Riley doesn’t really show signs of missing her, but he did have to think (guess that does make it plausible that he actually has a brain) about where to go last night when I told him to go to his bed. :dunce: Having to learn find his own place to pee rather than just peeing where Gretchen did. I’m telling you, that dog is “special”. :roll:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am

greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
1982vett wrote:Wondering what it generally cost to board a dog? Guessing that might vary quite a bit.

Generally isn't cheap & it's way less expensive here in KS than when we lived in AZ or TX. I'd definitely visit the facility prior to make sure it's clean, up to code, staff is friendly/knowledgeable, animals look happy, etc. One alternative is your vet; either they may board or have recommendations. If you're going to be gone quite a while I'd suggest getting someone to house sit.

Back in 2010, wife insisted I go with her to visit her parents in north Texas since her other 3 sisters were going to be there too. We arranged for one of her friends to house and critter sit (someone else looked after the cows) but the house sitter called the day after we left and said she left in the middle of the night and wouldn't be going back. "Too dark, too far out and too many strange noises"....IOW, she got scared of the boogie man and ran. That was the last time I tried to find a house sitter.

I would have been pizzed!!! What did she expect in the country?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:31 am

Visitors welcome. Family welcome. Their dogs are not. Causes problems with my dogs.

Same here. I don't take mine to other folks' houses and I expect other folks (including relatives) to extend the same courtesy.
1 x

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 am

greybeard wrote:
Visitors welcome. Family welcome. Their dogs are not. Causes problems with my dogs.

Same here. I don't take mine to other folks' houses and I expect other folks (including relatives) to extend the same courtesy.

We are supposed to go to West Texas Labor Day weekend. Wife said the invitation extended to Riley. I promptly said no. She asked why. Said I wasn’t going to travel with the dog and secondly it opens the can of worms for them to bring theirs when they come here. She said “ but we are equipped to handle them” meaning the kennel. I said yes, until 15 dogs show up.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:53 pm

We pay $25 per night. Place is very clean, each animal has it's own pen etc. with an exit to an outside run. Building is heated and has A/C.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”