Livestock Guardians

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Livestock Guardians

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:54 pm

I have a mammoth donkey (jenny) I keep with my fall calving herd. There were some problems a few years ago with an unseen predator. The cows were awfully nervous and aggressive towards me. Someone suggested a donkey. I found one, bought her and put with the cows. Initially, the cows looked like a defensive line (football) towards that poor donkey. They treated her as if she was another predator. Guess she proved herself to them because now they're always with her. I've gotten calls from neighbors telling me they're sitting alongside the road watching my donkey attack a coyote. Donkey won't let me touch her. She's very independent and 100% maintenance free. She cost $250. She loads into the semi right along with the cows & calves when we bring them home for the winter. I kinda like her.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:Would be interesting what kind of protection would help against wolves. Very bad situation here. People saw packs of 12 wolves... Wolves attacking in a daylight, slaughtering big numbers of sheep, attacking mature cattle... You'd need quite a number of dogs for protection.
A small edit: we've not aloud to shoot wolves by a law, even if you see it in the action.

the old type green anti-freeze will work pretty good
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:06 am

Against my better judgement, I bought the missus a Pyrenees female pup for Christmas yesterday. She comes from my neighbor/landlord, so I'm familiar with the dog family, they stay home really well. I swore I'd never own anything but Rat or JR terrier types again, so I'm eating a big helping of crow.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:46 am

BFE wrote:Against my better judgement, I bought the missus a Pyrenees female pup for Christmas yesterday. She comes from my neighbor/landlord, so I'm familiar with the dog family, they stay home really well. I swore I'd never own anything but Rat or JR terrier types again, so I'm eating a big helping of crow.

at least your wife has a mans dog. :hide:
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 am

ddd75 wrote:
BFE wrote:Against my better judgement, I bought the missus a Pyrenees female pup for Christmas yesterday. She comes from my neighbor/landlord, so I'm familiar with the dog family, they stay home really well. I swore I'd never own anything but Rat or JR terrier types again, so I'm eating a big helping of crow.

at least your wife has a mans dog. :hide:

I would take offense to that statement if I had any pride left concerning my manhood! A wife and three daughters later, I've learned how to take my lumps! :D

Just remember, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog, and those little terriers have tons of fight in them. I never liked small breeds until I owned one, thought they were all yappers. Boy, was I wrong.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”