Hams

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hams

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:16 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
greybeard wrote:You know Sky. You were looking for a way in the coffeshop thread to make some income without having all the cattle..............maybe this is your true calling..

It could be if it wasn't for all the red tape and govt agencies with a handout and silly rules/laws

You can sell them as show hams, air fresheners or not for human consumption.

I like how you think
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:03 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
greybeard wrote:You know Sky. You were looking for a way in the coffeshop thread to make some income without having all the cattle..............maybe this is your true calling..

It could be if it wasn't for all the red tape and govt agencies with a handout and silly rules/laws

You can sell them as show hams, air fresheners or not for human consumption.

We had a guy here that sold plastic cups for $5 each. The drink inside was free (dry county at the time). He did not have his establishment open long.......... :frowns:
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Do as the "raw milk" dairy farmers do, sell a "share of the hog" and then they pay you to raise it and do the work curing the hams. They are paying you for your work, time and materials, not paying for the hams....because they already "own the hog" .....Then you give them the ham when they are ready..... Same thing that the beef people do with selling an animal live weight, then take it to the slaughter house and they make arrangements for how they want it packaged..... only you are also the slaughter house and you are not selling the "ham by the pound or the piece" you already sold the hog and you are just processing it to their specifications.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 am

farmerjan wrote:Do as the "raw milk" dairy farmers do, sell a "share of the hog" and then they pay you to raise it and do the work curing the hams. They are paying you for your work, time and materials, not paying for the hams....because they already "own the hog" .....Then you give them the ham when they are ready..... Same thing that the beef people do with selling an animal live weight, then take it to the slaughter house and they make arrangements for how they want it packaged..... only you are also the slaughter house and you are not selling the "ham by the pound or the piece" you already sold the hog and you are just processing it to their specifications.

Another good idea
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:43 pm

Smokehouse was smelling so good today I decided to take a ham down and cut some off and fry it I tasted a piece can't eat much still having stomach issues but son loved it had to cut him off

2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Looks pretty D%$#@D good too !!!!!!!!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Couple of pieces to share with some folks waiting to buy their hams from their hog shares lol

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:15 pm

I have one ham left and 1 shoulder that I wouldn't sell
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:09 am

Went to mailbox again today....had a package from Free Rent, Virginia....had a Hormel Canned Ham in it.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 pm

TexasBred wrote:Went to mailbox again today....had a package from Free Rent, Virginia....had a Hormel Canned Ham in it.

Oh poor Sky, you just ruined his reputation TB.... :hide: :cry2: LMAO
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 pm

farmerjan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Went to mailbox again today....had a package from Free Rent, Virginia....had a Hormel Canned Ham in it.

Gotta give him a hard time....I want to see the ones he said he was going to cure 6 months. No way in the world something edible is going to stay around his place for six months. :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

TexasBred wrote:
farmerjan wrote:

Gotta give him a hard time....I want to see the ones he said he was going to cure 6 months. No way in the world something edible is going to stay around his place for six months. :hide:

:lol: I was sad to see my work go
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:03 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Couple of pieces to share with some folks waiting to buy their hams from their hog shares lol

Looks pretty D#@## Good to me!!!!!
1 x

dwayson
Beginner
Beginner

Postby dwayson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Smokehouse was smelling so good today I decided to take a ham down and cut some off and fry it I tasted a piece can't eat much still having stomach issues but son loved it had to cut him off

Looks yummy! Now I am hungry.
1 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”