Pork tenderloin experiment

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pork tenderloin experiment

Post by skyhightree1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm

slick4591 wrote:For a 4 Lbs. loin:

1 Gallon water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 oz pink salt (42 grams) also called cure No. 1
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised

Combine all ingredients except loin; simmer until all has been dissolved. Refrigerate until cold.

Place loin in the cure, weight it until submerged, and cured for 2 days.

Remove and rinse the loin, discarding the cure. Dry with towels. Place on a tray and refrigerate, 12 to 24 hours.

Smoke at 180 degrees F, until internal temp hits 150 degrees F, 2 to 3 hours.

Keeps in fridge for 10 days (longer if vacuum packed) and freezes well. It fries up nicely in short order at 1/8” thickness.

Mines in bag curing is it bad if I let it stay in there for a week ? I will be busy with killing hogs and such and probably wont have time to smoke it till sunday

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Mines in bag curing is it bad if I let it stay in there for a week ? I will be busy with killing hogs and such and probably wont have time to smoke it till sunday

I don't have an answer for you, sky. I've always followed the directions. If it were me I'd get someone to pull it on the second day, rinse and let stand. At the end of the 24 hours you should be fine to wrap it in plastic wrap and smoke Sunday.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:48 pm

slick4591 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Mines in bag curing is it bad if I let it stay in there for a week ? I will be busy with killing hogs and such and probably wont have time to smoke it till sunday

I don't have an answer for you, sky. I've always followed the directions. If it were me I'd get someone to pull it on the second day, rinse and let stand. At the end of the 24 hours you should be fine to wrap it in plastic wrap and smoke Sunday.

Ok thanks will do it
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Have you ever made it?

Yes. I usually make some each winter but I don't smoke it. With the smoke you'd be making something more similar to schinkenspeck only you'll be using a loin. This is pretty good and if your interested here is a recipe based on weight.

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries
Edit - if you are using tenderquick use 2.55% of this for all your salt needs.

Crush your berries and mix all this together and rub the meat down and place in the fridge in a plastic bag for three weeks. Don't skimp on time because sugar is slow to penetrate so give it at least three weeks.

Once cured place in your smokehouse and set your fire and cold smoke it with a gentle smoke intermittantly over 4-5 days till you have about 40 hours smoke time and the meat is a golden color from the smoke.

Next let it hang in the smokehouse for six weeks or so.

Thanks can I use it without juniper berries I really hate those things?

Sure, its your smokehouse and you are the captain and this is Merika - or what's left of it.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
Yes. I usually make some each winter but I don't smoke it. With the smoke you'd be making something more similar to schinkenspeck only you'll be using a loin. This is pretty good and if your interested here is a recipe based on weight.

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries
Edit - if you are using tenderquick use 2.55% of this for all your salt needs.

Crush your berries and mix all this together and rub the meat down and place in the fridge in a plastic bag for three weeks. Don't skimp on time because sugar is slow to penetrate so give it at least three weeks.

Once cured place in your smokehouse and set your fire and cold smoke it with a gentle smoke intermittantly over 4-5 days till you have about 40 hours smoke time and the meat is a golden color from the smoke.

Next let it hang in the smokehouse for six weeks or so.

Thanks can I use it without juniper berries I really hate those things?

Sure, its your smokehouse and you are the captain and this is Merika - or what's left of it.

True.. when you make salami do you use cultures?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

Yes but it depends on what I'm making. Sometimes I don't but I do more often than not.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 am

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Yes but it depends on what I'm making. Sometimes I don't but I do more often than not.

Oh ok I guess I will have to order some.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:48 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

It'll help insure you get over some of the safety hurdles. Typically I won't use any when making a smoked dried sausage in smaller diameter casings.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 am

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

It'll help insure you get over some of the safety hurdles. Typically I won't use any when making a smoked dried sausage in smaller diameter casings.

Gotcha I definitely need it so I don't get sick I wanted to try small size before I messed up a big batch

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 am

Slick, when the loin is in the cure, do you keep it refrigerated?

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Slick, when the loin is in the cure, do you keep it refrigerated?

Yes. Keep it refrigerated.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks. Here it goes :D I had to order the cure#1. I had some Morton's tender quick but didn't want to substitute and screw this up. It seems the Tender quick maybe could be substituted with major changes in the salt but I wasn't willing to chance it.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Thanks. Here it goes :D I had to order the cure#1. I had some Morton's tender quick but didn't want to substitute and screw this up. It seems the Tender quick maybe could be substituted with major changes in the salt but I wasn't willing to chance it.

In general if you want to substitute tender quick in a recipe that calls for salt and a cure simply use the tenderquick at the amount given for all salts and you will be very close but its best to work in weights and not measured spoons.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:39 am

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm

HEY Slick.....it's done and it's fantastic. thank You. I don't like sage and was sorta not too excited to throw it in but it's not overwhelming. I really can't taste it. Anyway, I'm really tickled how it turned out. By the time I give the kids some, I'll sure have to do another one..aw shucks! ;-)