Smoked/grilled meats

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
nimblebowls
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Smoked/grilled meats

Postby nimblebowls » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:24 pm

maybe because there is too much fat in the meat? there are times that i experience acid reflux after eating BBQ
0 x

BillInSpgfMo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BillInSpgfMo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 am

I have smoked different cuts of meat over the years on different heat source types. For a wood smoker, my favorite is the type with the fire on the end of the smoker, so the heat is indirect. I use seasoned oak as I think hickory has a sharper taste. I will soak a couple of sticks or so in water overnight for the smoke. The most I have done at one time was 40# of ribs, brisket, and chickens. With indirect heat, you need to rotate the meat from the fireside to the other end about every half hour or it will get done faster and burn. I keep the temp 200-250 for half hour per pound of each cut of meat. The meat will usually not take more smoke after 2 hours and start to dry out, so I always wrap at that point. At the wrapping stage, I will often add wine or bourbon for steam and flavor, alcohol evaporates at 170*.
Since I moved to this location I don't have access to oak timber and have to buy it. So when my neighbor bought one of those Egg smokers [$1500], I bought his 2 yr old like new electric smoker. I am hooked on them now. You have add water-soaked smoke chips about every half hour or so. Other than that, plug it in set the temp, set the timer, put in the smoke chips and forget it.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:13 pm

BillInSpgfMo wrote:I have smoked different cuts of meat over the years on different heat source types. For a wood smoker, my favorite is the type with the fire on the end of the smoker, so the heat is indirect. I use seasoned oak as I think hickory has a sharper taste. I will soak a couple of sticks or so in water overnight for the smoke. The most I have done at one time was 40# of ribs, brisket, and chickens. With indirect heat, you need to rotate the meat from the fireside to the other end about every half hour or it will get done faster and burn. I keep the temp 200-250 for half hour per pound of each cut of meat. The meat will usually not take more smoke after 2 hours and start to dry out, so I always wrap at that point. At the wrapping stage, I will often add wine or bourbon for steam and flavor, alcohol evaporates at 170*.
Since I moved to this location I don't have access to oak timber and have to buy it. So when my neighbor bought one of those Egg smokers [$1500], I bought his 2 yr old like new electric smoker. I am hooked on them now. You have add water-soaked smoke chips about every half hour or so. Other than that, plug it in set the temp, set the timer, put in the smoke chips and forget it.

:welcome: Bill!
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Today's lunch. I told the guys since we were told we weren't getting a raise anytime soon the boloney is all I could afford. Got some budan to go along with it and wrapped jalapenos
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am

Craig Miller wrote:Today's lunch. I told the guys since we were told we weren't getting a raise anytime soon the boloney is all I could afford. Got some budan to go along with it and wrapped jalapenos

Each in tin foil........did you cook it like we used to......on the diesel eng exhaust manifolds?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:48 pm

greybeard wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:Today's lunch. I told the guys since we were told we weren't getting a raise anytime soon the boloney is all I could afford. Got some budan to go along with it and wrapped jalapenos

Each in tin foil........did you cook it like we used to......on the diesel eng exhaust manifolds?

No we have a smoker out there. The guys just out it on foil when they pulled it out to bring to the floor.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”