Rendering Lard

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19175
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Rendering Lard

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Has anyone ever rendered lard in a crock pot before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4828
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Has anyone ever rendered lard before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.

Wash pot, open fire underneath.
2 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9738
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 pm

I still have the wash pot my folks used.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19175
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't have a big pot like we had before so ill have to try a crock pot or something
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9738
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

A good pot would probably be a good investment if you're killing your own.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19175
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 pm

yea I don't really need a lot of lard though just maybe 2 quarts a year and it would be good which is why I haven't bought a huge pot from agri supply. I have some of those dutch oven pots would that be ok?
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3672
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Has anyone ever rendered lard in a crock pot before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.

You will be frying the fat pieces and fat until it is cracklings and the grease is left. I don't think the crock pot will get hot enough. Any deep pan on the stove should work.
1 x

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4828
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 am

There's a hundred videos on youtube showing you how to do it on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I looked at one where a woman did it on the stovetop using the fat from around the kidneys and said it was better than fat off the back or belly. I think she called it leaf fat. Interesting video.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19175
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am

hurleyjd wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Has anyone ever rendered lard in a crock pot before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.

You will be frying the fat pieces and fat until it is cracklings and the grease is left. I don't think the crock pot will get hot enough. Any deep pan on the stove should work.


ga.prime wrote:There's a hundred videos on youtube showing you how to do it on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I looked at one where a woman did it on the stovetop using the fat from around the kidneys and said it was better than fat off the back or belly. I think she called it leaf fat. Interesting video.


I didn't even think about youtube... Yea I have my turkey deep frying pot I can use.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9738
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby slick4591 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm

ga.prime wrote:There's a hundred videos on youtube showing you how to do it on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I looked at one where a woman did it on the stovetop using the fat from around the kidneys and said it was better than fat off the back or belly. I think she called it leaf fat. Interesting video.


That's the tallow fat. My wife used to hunt that down when she was making soap.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 24056
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 am

You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19175
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 am

Jogeephus wrote:You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.


I have a sausage press will that work?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 24056
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.


I have a sausage press will that work?


Lard press would be much better since it has a screen plate or a screen basket to keep the meat from going out the tube but you might be able to fashion some sort of filter or screen in the bottom of it and accomplish the same thing.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8460
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby 1982vett » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Hope you don't render in your kitchen....house will smell like lard for months.....I can smell it from here. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
mwj
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:36 am
Location: central Ill.

Re: Rendering Lard

Postby mwj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.


I have a sausage press will that work?


Lard press would be much better since it has a screen plate or a screen basket to keep the meat from going out the tube but you might be able to fashion some sort of filter or screen in the bottom of it and accomplish the same thing.


We just put a cotton pillow case or cotton bag in the lard press to hold the cracklings. The liquid goes out as fast as you can dip. When it is full of the cooked fat chunks we just fold over the bag and crank down the press. It stops any of the fines from going into the lard. :nod:



ps We always put one of the true loins in the kettle with the lard for a snack!! Sliced on the stirring paddle it is a treat.
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!


Return to “Recipes and Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests