What kind of chickens?

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

What kind of chickens?

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 pm

If you raise or have raised chickens for the freezer what kind do you prefer and why? I prefer Cornish crosses. Red rangers are good too.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Re: What kind of chickens?

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 am

It would be pretty tough to beat the Cornish crosses... Right size birds and they actually have some flavor to them unlike what you buy at the grocery store.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am

Red Rangers have always been recommended to me as the better flavored, but they take a couple of weeks longer to be ready to slaughter. Hard to beat a Cornish cross for the benefits of both flavor and finish time.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 am

I've raised cornish crosses, and to be honest I didn't notice them tasting any different than grocery store chicken. And they cost me about 4 times as much as buying grocery store chicken. I enjoyed it and will do it again, but not because it was better chicken.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm

When you can buy a cooked rotisserie chicken at Sam's warehouse for 5 or 6 bucks, I don't know why anybody would raise chickens for meat. All the Wal Marts also sell them but the Sam's ones are bigger and better.

To me it is some of the cheapest ways to eat around. Whole chicken pieces one meal. Tear off the rest of the meat and you have enough for sandwiches or tacos. Use the remaining scraps on top of a salad the next day.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:01 pm

bird dog wrote:When you can buy a cooked rotisserie chicken at Sam's warehouse for 5 or 6 bucks, I don't know why anybody would raise chickens for meat. All the Wal Marts also sell them but the Sam's ones are bigger and better.

To me it is some of the cheapest ways to eat around. Whole chicken pieces one meal. Tear off the rest of the meat and you have enough for sandwiches or tacos. Use the remaining scraps on top of a salad the next day.

Some people prefer a healthier route and don't mind the extra effort/money. I prefer to know whats going in my food and raising my own as much as possible. If sams and walmart is great to you that's good but you probably never ate many fresh chickens right off the farm you raised. You are looking at savings of money and getting full... I am not penny pinching or shying away from work and am looking for quality.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Nothing healthier than chicken raised on donuts,ho hos, ringadings, honey buns and curdled milk....lol
4 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:48 pm

bird dog wrote:When you can buy a cooked rotisserie chicken at Sam's warehouse for 5 or 6 bucks, I don't know why anybody would raise chickens for meat. All the Wal Marts also sell them but the Sam's ones are bigger and better.

My wife makes good chicken soup out of the chicken scraps.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Some people prefer a healthier route and don't mind the extra effort/money. I prefer to know whats going in my food and raising my own as much as possible. If sams and walmart is great to you that's good but you probably never ate many fresh chickens right off the farm you raised. You are looking at savings of money and getting full... I am not penny pinching or shying away from work and am looking for quality.

There's a big difference between eating healthy foods and eating healthy. A responsible is diet is mandatory for your health.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm

callmefence wrote:Nothing healthier than chicken raised on donuts,ho hos, ringadings, honey buns and curdled milk....lol

Now here is a man that knows something :lol: :tiphat:
2 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

There's a big difference between eating healthy foods and eating healthy. A responsible is diet is mandatory for your health.

Yea I know the difference I haven't always had the best eating habits but I do prefer to raise my own animals If at all possible and foods
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

The Cornish cross will grow real fast. Sometimes too fast resulting in broken legs and heart attacks. Red rangers grow slower and it doesn't seem they get as much meat on their bones. I really prefer home grown chicken. I raise the Cornish cross. At about 5 weeks I slow them down some by mixing whole grain (generally barley) in with their feed. I also have them in a portable shed which I move twice a week so they eat grass.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:My wife makes good chicken soup out of the chicken scraps.

Cracking the bones and boiling down until it's a really condensed broth is a big plus for us. Maybe my imagination but homegrown just tastes better to me.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 pm

All I’ve got is games. Had a few extra roosters that took to fighting about 6 months ago. Wrung their necks and cooked em up. Could’ve took the three of them and fed 200 people. Put a peice in your mouth the size of marble and it would grow to the size of a softball. I’d imagine whip leather would be tender up beside them.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:46 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:All I’ve got is games. Had a few extra roosters that took to fighting about 6 months ago. Wrung their necks and cooked em up. Could’ve took the three of them and fed 200 people. Put a peice in your mouth the size of marble and it would grow to the size of a softball. I’d imagine whip leather would be tender up beside them.

Had the same result with some Leghorn roosters a few years ago, the more you chewed the bigger the bite seemed to get, no matter how they were cooked.
1 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”