Great American Barbecue

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Re: Great American Barbecue

Postby MO_cows » Tue May 26, 2009 10:41 pm

The team is already entered, and oh yes, we will pay them a visit one night at least. The poor things, they will have all that extra meat that they don't turn in for the judges, they will need our help. :roll: Grand Champion at the American Royal pays something like $10,000. If you win one of the individual meat categories, that pays at least $1,000. It would be soooooooo exciting if they would win a big one like that. :banana:
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 27, 2009 7:05 am

That would be neat. Keep us informed on how it goes.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat May 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Smoked ribs and briskets last night. This was the umpteenth experiment I have performed trying to find the secret to the perfect rib. Ran three different sets last night. I finished up late so I just labelled the meat and took it in the house without even trying them. With wedding visitors at the house everyone sampled the meat for lunch and all say one set was by far the best ribs they ever tasted. I tried them myself and I gotta say they are the best I ever made too. If I can duplicate this a few more times and become consistant, I think I may have mastered ribology. :banana:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Sun May 31, 2009 2:30 pm

Did you wrap them part of the cooking time, or were they "naked" the whole time? It was a big surprise to me to walk around a bbq contest the first time and see all the meat wrapped in foil in the smokers. They start it out bare, then wrap it and let it cook, then finish it bare. The reason I was given, the wrapped cooking time helps with moisture retention and tenderness.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 31, 2009 7:05 pm

The batch that got the most praise was smoked at 225 for 3 hours uncovered, then 2 hours wrapped, then 1 hour uncoverd. They were done in 3 hours but they were not what I call tender till 5 hours but they did not get perfect till 6. My next experiment will be this compared to another set I made a few weeks ago that was cooked uncovered the whole time. I'd like to be able to omitt the foil if possible due to cost.
0 x

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Makes me think of that commercial
Aluminum foil = $2.99
Perfect ribs = priceless

If you move them to a cooler zone in the smoker, and/or mop them or mist them, you can probably do about as well without foil.
0 x
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:19 am

I spritzed some with apple juice last year and they came out great. Next "experiment" I'll try the spritz, mop and foil. I agree that the cost of foil is nothing compared to perfect ribs. We do love our ribs. :nod:
0 x

grannysoo
GURU
GURU

Postby grannysoo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 am

While we're on the subject of foil, make sure you get the commercial grade foil from Sam's Club or a resturant supply house. Once you use this stuff, you'll never go back to the cheap-o stuff that you find in the grocery store.
0 x
When blacks have identity it is called pride.
When indians have identity it is called culture.
When jews have identity it is called history.
When whites have identity it is called racism.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:56 pm

grannysoo wrote:While we're on the subject of foil, make sure you get the commercial grade foil from Sam's Club or a resturant supply house. Once you use this stuff, you'll never go back to the cheap-o stuff that you find in the grocery store.

Thanks. My wife just picked up a huge roll of it today for $20. I can live with this. Better quality and better price too.
0 x

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 am

Well the team did another contest this weekend, in Raytown, Missouri, 60 teams. They took home a ribbon for their chicken, scored in the 20's for ribs and pork, but tanked on brisket this time at 58. They recently modified the smoker, added a plate to try to even out the hot and cool zones and I think they are still on the learning curve with it. They have taken home at least one award at every contest this year, not too shabby!
0 x
Laura Ingalls Wilder

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:46 pm

My Momma was a Blalock. My maternal Grandaddy was a Blalock brother. They taught me.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:41 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:My Momma was a Blalock. My maternal Grandaddy was a Blalock brother. They taught me.

:dunce: Sorry, don't quite understand. They taught you how to barbecue??
0 x
Laura Ingalls Wilder

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

MO_cows wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:My Momma was a Blalock. My maternal Grandaddy was a Blalock brother. They taught me.

:dunce: Sorry, don't quite understand. They taught you how to barbecue??

Blalock's Barbeque or Bodacious Barbeque obviously don't operate in your area. If they did, you'd understand. Much of my maternal family including cousins and distant cousins own and operate either under the Bodacious or Blalock franchises.

Most contests exclude professionals. I can claim not to be one. :D
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 pm

OK, now I get it. Nope, that chain hasn't made it this far north yet. I did get to try some excellent Texas bbq one time. At an awards banquet for a Corriente show, the caterers brought in brisket smoked with pecan wood and it was to die for. But then they had to go all Tex-Mex and put jalapenos in the tater salad. That's just wrong! :lol: :lol:

There are pro teams allowed in the contests sanctioned by Kansas City BBQ Society. Teams that have catering businesses, bbq restaurants, etc. There will be a lot of these "big dogs" in the American Royal this fall :banana:
0 x
Laura Ingalls Wilder

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:06 am

Yes. Pecan wood is my favorite wood to smoke with. Especailly brisket. You can slow smoke for a day and a half with it without wrapping the meat. Mesquite is okay, really easy to split with an axe only, and abundant around here. It is a strong smoke and it burns hot so you have to limit your input. It does not work well for me on a slow smoke but it great for a quick job when time is limited. It is best to wrap (seal) your brisket after about 4 hours. Splitting mesquite is like the axe splitting you see on television in the old westerns. Three weeks after it is cut you can split it into tooth picks with very little effort. Hickory is just to much work on the wood splitter. When they put that pipeline through my place in East Texas they took out a lot of old growth hickory. I cut it into 8 foot pieces and filled the flat bed and hauled it home. I cut it into smaller pieces once I had it here. After a few hogs were smoked, I went back to pecan and sold most of that hickory.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”