Tipping aside from restaurants

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Tipping aside from restaurants

Postby herofan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I know we gave discussed tipping in restaurants before, but it seems like these days things are being dreamed up for tips.

Some friends and I went to a honky tonk type place last night to hear a local band who had travelled to the bigger city. At one point,I had to use the restroom. As I approached the sink before exiting, a guy is ready with a soap pump, and then rips off a paper towel and hands it to me.

I thought it odd, but I said thank you and moved on. I later learned this Guy was supposed to be tipped. :shock:

My shock and first time exposure to this may show how ignorant of that type of culture I am, but I think that is ridiculous. Unlike a restaurant, I didn’t ask for his assistance, and he didn’t do anything I couldn’t have done. It was no help to me whatsoever.

What else will somebody dream up for a tips?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Tipping aside from restaurants

Postby TCRanch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Never heard of a restroom attendant in a honky tonk place but fairly common in upscale venues. And it's always awkward.
2 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 pm

TCRanch wrote:Never heard of a restroom attendant in a honky tonk place but fairly common in upscale venues. And it's always awkward.

Awkward is a great description. It didn’t enhance my evening in any way, but it was awkward.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm

herofan wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Never heard of a restroom attendant in a honky tonk place but fairly common in upscale venues. And it's always awkward.

Awkward is a great description. It didn’t enhance my evening in any way, but it was awkward.

Next time tear off more paper and tell him to wipe your a$$ and you'll give him a $. :lol:
6 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Next thing you know, there will be someone at the urinal to shake it for you. :hide:
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm

I haven't been to a club in Dallas in a lot of years, but those guys used to be everywhere. Most had bottles of cologne you could freshen yourself with. Yes, they expected to be tipped.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Next thing you know, there will be someone at the urinal to shake it for you.

I tip based on cup size :) so might go out of my way to use the urinal. :banana:
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:35 pm

The only tip I have for someone in the bathroom is to stay the heck away from me. I tip my barber and the cleaning girls at the hotel if I stay 2+ days. I even tipped the girls selling ice cream today, tipping is good.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 pm

This is very common overseas. Bars, restaurants, even hotels. I first saw it in Japan, then the Philippines, Jamaica, Thailand, and S. Korea. Upscale or dive, every restroom had someone there to hand you something or trey to sell you something. They sold combs, condoms, cigars and cigarettes, lighters, matches, had lighter fluid for your Z ippo, flints..along with the foo juice smelly lotions. Most in the hotels, handed you a cloth towel, not paper towels, and of course expected a tip. Most places, they could also have you a girl in about 10 minutes, but I stayed away from that offer.
Most of the time they were sleeping in a chair when you walked in and only came to life when you turned the water on.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm

I tip my my barber, but you SHOULD SEE MY BARBER !

I also got in the habit of tipping the boys at the tire shop. When I drive up they will pull the jack out from another car and come running to get my vehicle. I don't mind it because I know that drunk that owns the place don't pay them much.
1 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 am

My sister in law is a "barber". Don't tell her I called her that. She expects a tip. I said how much. She said what ever you think the jobs worth. I said it's worth ten bucks cause that's what you said it would cost. If you want more than that then tell me up front how much.
2 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am

Bright Raven wrote:Next thing you know, there will be someone at the urinal to shake it for you. :hide:

:lol: A lot would do it for free.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am

It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.
4 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 am

I have never figured out why everyone expects a tip. A barber sets their price and you pay it. A taxi driver drives you from one spot to another and I've yet to have any do anything special other than their job.

When I bought the BBQ restaurant there was cafeteria type of line where you ordered what you wanted and someone portioned it out on a plate. I had a drink bar where you waited on yourself, yet my employees always wanted me to provide them with a tip jar. Most were paid above minimum wage and did nothing more than what was expected of them, so I always refused. I usually tip wait staff pretty well because I know how they are paid, but I don't just tip everyone when they are doing the minimum.
2 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.

:lol2: :lol2: Really?????
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”