Teachers at fault

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Teachers at fault

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:13 pm

sstterry wrote:Only people who are not educators or have relatives that think they are overpaid and underworked. I hear all the time that teachers get 2 months off in the Summer. While this may be true, they are only paid for 10 months of work. Their checks are just spread out over 12 months for budget reasons.

Also, most people have no idea of the amount of bureaucratic b.s they have to put up with. Every politician thinks they know what schools need without ever had being in a classroom.

They are paid an ANNUAL SALARY. Now you can divide that in as many pay periods as you want to come up with a monthly salary that meets your talking points. Here they have a choice of 9 months or 12 months. then throw in two weeks for Christmas, a week for spring break and a dozen other holidays and it's a pretty neat job to have.Most districts also provide leave for short-term military assignments, religious observances, compliance with a subpoena, personal business, funerals, jury duty, professional reasons, and study not to mention almost all have an aide that does almost as much teaching as the teacher. My sister just retired after teaching some 35 years of teaching special education. Sometimes she comes across as being about as smart as her students. Not one bit more !!
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

His apology was one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

TexasBred wrote:
sstterry wrote:Only people who are not educators or have relatives that think they are overpaid and underworked. I hear all the time that teachers get 2 months off in the Summer. While this may be true, they are only paid for 10 months of work. Their checks are just spread out over 12 months for budget reasons.

Also, most people have no idea of the amount of bureaucratic b.s they have to put up with. Every politician thinks they know what schools need without ever had being in a classroom.

They are paid an ANNUAL SALARY. Now you can divide that in as many pay periods as you want to come up with a monthly salary that meets your talking points. Here they have a choice of 9 months or 12 months. then throw in two weeks for Christmas, a week for spring break and a dozen other holidays and it's a pretty neat job to have.Most districts also provide leave for short-term military assignments, religious observances, compliance with a subpoena, personal business, funerals, jury duty, professional reasons, and study not to mention almost all have an aide that does almost as much teaching as the teacher. My sister just retired after teaching some 35 years of teaching special education. Sometimes she comes across as being about as smart as her students. Not one bit more !!

It’s a neat job to have all right. When people complain about teacher jobs, I can’t help but feel they are a little jealous, but then I don’t understand why everyone who complains didn’t go into teaching, then they could have had a neat job too. It reminds me of the thread that mentioned how the winner of the beauty contest doesn’t complain about the loser because there is no need.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Bigfoot wrote:His apology was one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.

Repeating the same words over and over didn't help. Lol

Now he is blaming the former Republican Speaker of the House for the veto messes. Claiming the Speaker's Sex Payoff scandal has caused chaos in the house.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kentucky ... 39289.html

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/518777002
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 am

TexasBred wrote:

This was discussed here not long ago. I had never thought of it the was you describe it because it had never been presented that way. I Giogled it and found it described as getting paid for the days you work with the pay divided over 12 months so teachers won’t be without income in the summer.

We don’t actually get paid vacation in the summer. If we get off three months, for example, that’s roughly 60 weekdays. We don’t actually get paid for those days. If I teach summer school, I get additional pay for those days because that is additional work on days I’m not getting paid for; otherwise, it’s called “double dipping.”

Regardless of what label one gives it, it works out the same in real life, but explaining it the “annual salary” way makes it easier to complain about and criticize.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 am

herofan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

This was discussed here not long ago. I had never thought of it the was you describe it because it had never been presented that way. I Giogled it and found it described as getting paid for the days you work with the pay divided over 12 months so teachers won’t be without income in the summer.

We don’t actually get paid vacation in the summer. If we get off three months, for example, that’s roughly 60 weekdays. We don’t actually get paid for those days. If I teach summer school, I get additional pay for those days because that is additional work on days I’m not getting paid for; otherwise, it’s called “double dipping.”

Regardless of what label one gives it, it works out the same in real life, but explaining it the “annual salary” way makes it easier to complain about and criticize.

No it just makes it realistic. I too use to work for an annual salary divided into 24 pay periods. The only difference between me and teachers was that I had to work EACH of those 24 pay periods to qualify for that check. Can't believe educated teachers can be so stupid about so many things outside of their field.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 am

And we refuse to pay teachers enough to attract more qualified teachers. And then we wonder why the kids are not learning. Schools are always the place the politicians go to help in balancing their states budgets.
3 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am

TexasBred wrote:No it just makes it realistic. I too use to work for an annual salary divided into 24 pay periods. The only difference between me and teachers was that I had to work EACH of those 24 pay periods to qualify for that check. Can't believe educated teachers can be so stupid about so many things outside of their field.

It’s often amazed me how people who aren’t teachers know so much about the profession and how much smarter they are than teachers. It’s a shame all the truly smart people didn’t go into teaching; what a country of intellectual youngsters we would then have. I’ve met so many people who know more about how it operates on a day to day basis than teachers do. They even know more about teaching strategies, how hard we work, where we spend our time; it’s astonishing!

Having a relative or even a spouse who is a teacher still doesn’t give one the full insight unless you do it yourself, and I think that applies to anything.
4 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:30 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
sstterry wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The four teachers that I know well average better than $250 for a days work. Then you kick in health insurance and retirement benefits, so yes I think teachers are over paid.

That averages out to about 40k per year (remember they are only paid for 175 days per year) and considering most have gone to 5 to 6 years of college and have to continually keep receiving updated training, it is definitely not being overpaid.

Edit: Plus GA does pay better than most states.

I figured on 200 days of work per year. The teachers I know work hard for their pay. I wouldn't do their for any amount of money. But we can't afford for our taxes to keep going up because civil servants want more money and benefits. The fact is to cut government spending we need to cut pay, jobs or benefits.

Talk to the parents in your state about keeping their legs closed. The more kids you have = more teachers = more money needed. This is why the taxpayer gets hosed.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am

herofan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:No it just makes it realistic. I too use to work for an annual salary divided into 24 pay periods. The only difference between me and teachers was that I had to work EACH of those 24 pay periods to qualify for that check. Can't believe educated teachers can be so stupid about so many things outside of their field.

It’s often amazed me how people who aren’t teachers know so much about the profession and how much smarter they are than teachers. It’s a shame all the truly smart people didn’t go into teaching; what a country of intellectual youngsters we would then have. I’ve met so many people who know more about how it operates on a day to day basis than teachers do. They even know more about teaching strategies, how hard we work, where we spend our time; it’s astonishing!

Having a relative or even a spouse who is a teacher still doesn’t give one the full insight unless you do it yourself, and I think that applies to anything.

We learn a tremendous amount listening to teachers whine.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

Many years ago my son came in from school and was hot and mad at the science teacher. There was a test that had these questions. Which of the following engines will not need air to run. 1. gas 2. diesel. 3. rocket 4 jet. My son had answered rocket and the teacher marked his answer wrong and said you should have answered diesel. So I went to the shop and picked up a air cleaner for the John Deere diesel and sent the son to school with it told him to show it to the teacher and ask him if a diesel did not air then why an air cleaner. Son said that the teacher face turned red and he changed the grade to 100; The son told him the question should have read which engine does not need atmospheric air to run. Because the rocket engine being solid fuel would also have oxygen in the system and if a liquid fuel would also need oxygen to operate. This son had read the world book encyclopedia from the time he learned to read.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 am

TexasBred wrote:
herofan wrote:

Isn’t complaining about teachers a form of whining? The thing is, teaching is not an exclusive club; anyone who can complete the college/certification requirements can become one at any point in their life. Most will say something like, “I couldn’t do what teachers do,” or “ I couldn’t handle the kids attitudes, I’d get fired, “ or “I couldn’t stand to be cooped up all day.” Even with all the wonderful perks, they still wouldn’t want to do it. If someone couldn’t do a job, how do they feel justified in complaining about it?

I don’t know anyone else who apologizes for the positives they have in their job, and I dont either. I had a choice just like everyone else, and I made it.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

herofan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
herofan wrote:

Isn’t complaining about teachers a form of whining? The thing is, teaching is not an exclusive club; anyone who can complete the college/certification requirements can become one at any point in their life. Most will say something like, “I couldn’t do what teachers do,” or “ I couldn’t handle the kids attitudes, I’d get fired, “ or “I couldn’t stand to be cooped up all day.” Even with all the wonderful perks, they still wouldn’t want to do it. If someone couldn’t do a job, how do they feel justified in complaining about it?

I don’t know anyone else who apologizes for the positives they have in their job, and I dont either. I had a choice just like everyone else, and I made it.

Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back. I really appreciate teachers and as you said "I wouldn't want their job". (Give myself a pat on the bag because I would have been a lousy one....probably a whinner). ;-)
1 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm

The real problem is wage stagnation (and even regression) in most private sector jobs (after accounting for increased health care premiums etc). A few decades ago, despite good salaries for, eg, factory workers, teachers literally didn't make enough to live on. (When my mom taught, we were eligible for free lunch, but we'd have gone hungry--and did--rather than taken it). Over the past couple decades, in most states (*not* some of the ones where they're striking), teacher salaries went up to where they're now a living wage. Problem is, in many areas, there now aren't *private* sector jobs paying a living wage. So, teachers look well-paid (even over-paid) by comparison.That breeds a lot of resentment (tinged with envy I daresay) against teachers. If we get to the point where the best jobs are public ones (see, eg, India), we're in trouble, because corruption and cronyism follow. Or maybe they always do anyway.....
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 am

corruption is in every government office. thats for sure.. they make another job just to hire their good ol' buddy. and tax payers foot the bill.

teachers are going to be a thing of the past soon.. just like attornies. Computers are already more accurate on defending a person in court.

teachers are advocating that a ipad is a better teacher. The kids learn better and retain it better.

Teachers who don't teach but only watch IMO are called babysitters.

With the robot age approaching, people need to realize I NEED THIS *(so I don't have to work) is going to put them out of a job.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”