lowering standards

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
bball
GURU
GURU

Re: lowering standards

Postby bball » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Quick google search shows 9 people per day are killed due to "distracted driving" in the U. S. on average. On average, 3285 people per year at the current daily rate.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I'd like to see a graph showing how many needed killing and another one showing how many needed killing that weren't. And another showing how many people resist arrest each month. With this data I think I would be able to see if the old saying about playing stupid games and you win silly prizes is true.

Suicide by cop. I suspect more frequent than any data or statistics would show.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:I'd like to see a graph showing how many needed killing and another one showing how many needed killing that weren't. And another showing how many people resist arrest each month. With this data I think I would be able to see if the old saying about playing stupid games and you win silly prizes is true.

Perhaps Los Angeles Police Chief Beck (maybe he is retired now) could head up a task force to answer that for you Jo.
Stupid games, but no prizes awarded..except the $4.2 million payout the City's taxpayers had to shell out to "make it all go away".
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2511683
"Just a little more training, that's all they need".

Only by the Grace of uknowwho and poor marksmanship are the 2 innocent women alive today.

Saw that on the news. Bad deal. People are human and humans make mistakes. Only time someone doesn't screw up is when they aren't doing their jobs. Percentage of stuff like this happening is extremely rare. I'd be willing to bet more people are killed each year by dimwhitts texting while driving.

Yep, and sometimes they make stupid mistakes but are awarded no stupid prizes for it.
Comparing the # of times something like this happens to the # of times anything else happens (especially something completely unrelated) is just a diversion from the fact that it did happen. More people are also killed by any number of things, including dying in their sleep but they're still dead, so what's the real point?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 15, 2018 6:40 pm

greybeard wrote:Yep, and sometimes they make stupid mistakes but are awarded no stupid prizes for it.
Comparing the # of times something like this happens to the # of times anything else happens (especially something completely unrelated) is just a diversion from the fact that it did happen. More people are also killed by any number of things, including dying in their sleep but they're still dead, so what's the real point?

The point is no matter how you slice it death is death and mistakes are mistakes and with the number of daily interactions the police have with people the number of mistakes are very low in my view and I think they police do a pretty good job considering some of the trash they have to deal with.
3 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 15, 2018 11:08 pm

and I think they police do a pretty good job considering some of the trash they have to deal with.

As do I. A very high % of our policemen and women are professional, dedicated individuals. A very few are not.

But, I'm not much on trying to rationalize poor behavior.......it's 'supposed' to have consequences, no matter who ya are.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 am

greybeard wrote:Comparing the # of times something like this happens to the # of times anything else happens
(especially something completely unrelated) is just a diversion from the fact that it did happen.
+1 yep

On a positive note, yesterday morning on his way into work the St Paul chief of police Tim Axel responded to a call
about a women sitting on the Robert Street bridge threatening to jump into the Mississippi river. He was able to calm
her by just talking with her a short while and with the help of a 2nd officer grab her from behind off the wall ledge of
the bridge and take her for mental health treatment. Kind of a feel good police story for the day.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 am

a kid called 911 several times and they couldn't understand him.

they knew kinda where he was at.. but was looking for a elderly person locked in car.. I guess this boy was trapped in a power fold seat crushing him in a van.

they never even got out of the cruisers to look.. the chief said "they figured they could cover more ground in the cruiser" huh?

sounds like laziness let the boy die.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am

ddd75 wrote:a kid called 911 several times and they couldn't understand him.

they knew kinda where he was at.. but was looking for a elderly person locked in car.. I guess this boy was trapped in a power fold seat crushing him in a van.

they never even got out of the cruisers to look.. the chief said "they figured they could cover more ground in the cruiser" huh?

That was on National News. The way it was presented on the NBC nightly news, it was more the fault of the dispatcher. The dispatcher presented it to the officers on duty as a "hoax". As I heard it, the police officers got a very sketchy report. That dispatcher needs a different assignment. Like filling out coloring books!

The little boy was calling 911 from his cell phone trapped in the van. He was very calm and said "I think I am going to die. Tell my mother, I love her."

His dad found him. Dead.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

That was on National News. The way it was presented on the NBC nightly news, it was more the fault of the dispatcher. The dispatcher presented it to the officers on duty as a "hoax". As I heard it, the police officers got a very sketchy report. That dispatcher needs a different assignment. Like filling out coloring books!

The little boy was calling 911 from his cell phone trapped in the van. He was very calm and said "I think I am going to die. Tell my mother, I love her."

His dad found him. Dead.

This one brings tears to my eyes a bit. That poor dad. Words can't do it any justice.....
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

His dad found him. Dead.

This one brings tears to my eyes a bit. That poor dad. Words can't do it any justice.....

It was the saddest story I have ever heard. The audio from the dispatch was played. The kid was extremely mature. I think so much so that the dispatch thought it was a hoax.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”