Weight loss

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Weight loss

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 pm

I have been fat my whole life. Pretty much have done every diet advertise. This past year I started looking at the gastric bypass options. My brother has already done this so I have some good info to make e decision. After consultations with the Dr's, I pulled the trigger for the RNY procedure. Its the most invasive procedure and it works very well. My surgery was 3-26-18. I have now lost 102 lbs. This stuff is a god send IMO. I have been taken off all Diabetic, HBP and high Cholesterol plus one sleep med. My A1C is at prediabetic levels...….so I had to brag somewhere, felt comfortable here. If anyone has question do not hesitate to PM me.
12 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Weight loss

Postby bball » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! THAT IS AWESOME. I am certain your quality of life has improved considerably! 102 lbs is amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 am

it sucks that that's what it took to work, but good that it did and you're happy!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am

Good for you, SB2! A relative sees lots of patients who have had it. I'm told the key to keeping it off long-term is to not slip into constant nibbling/grazing--lots of people gain it back by eating the same calories just more spread out. I'm sure the dr also told you to watch out for other "substitutes"--like excessive alcohol (addictive behaviors, whether alcohol or food etc, often substitute for each other). Hopefully you and your brother are good support for each other!
Bet your family/loved ones are thrilled. I have a close family member battling obesity and it's tough to watch, feels like suicide in super-slo-mo. If it was alcohol it would be easier to discuss. I've finally gotten to where when they call me and say "if I don't do something, I'm gonna die", I just say "yes, you are" and change topic.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:19 am

Well done Saltbranch.

Ken
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:03 am

Great job SB congratz!
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 am

So in 6 months you have dropped over 100 lbs.? You will for-sure need new clothes...
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am

Wow, congratulations! Bragging rights justified - please keep us updated!
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 am

:clap: Fantastic. Congratulations SB2.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:47 am

Good for you. There is a fat gene that makes some people destined to gain weight and skinny people to stay thin. One day in the future scientist and researchers will be able to program the fat gene and all of us can be at a healthy weight.
2 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 am

Good for you! I just wish I had the will power to buckle down and loose.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am

slick4591 wrote:Good for you! I just wish I had the will power to buckle down and loose.

My best friend watches My 600 lb Life while she's on the treadmill. That's incentive!
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Glad to hear that it's working for you! When Dad "retired" and started helping me, he lost 30 pounds in 6 months. When Grandpa went into the hospital, Dad stayed with him every day, and gained back over 20 of it in a couple of months. My retirement plan is to charge people for an immersive weight loss camp, and eliminate my fence crew labor expenses.

FWIW, I've never struggled with my weight, but my older sister is the opposite. She really struggles, and is at a very unhealthy weight. My Mom is overweight from the waist up, but it's because of her diet. Constant sweets and carbs, and wonders why diabetes has set in. Of course, you can be at a healthy weight, and still be unhealthy. Genetics, diet, exercise....
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm

SALTBRANCH2 wrote:I have been fat my whole life. Pretty much have done every diet advertise. This past year I started looking at the gastric bypass options. My brother has already done this so I have some good info to make e decision. After consultations with the Dr's, I pulled the trigger for the RNY procedure. Its the most invasive procedure and it works very well. My surgery was 3-26-18. I have now lost 102 lbs. This stuff is a god send IMO. I have been taken off all Diabetic, HBP and high Cholesterol plus one sleep med. My A1C is at prediabetic levels...….so I had to brag somewhere, felt comfortable here. If anyone has question do not hesitate to PM me.

First of all, congratulations. It’s good that you lost the weight and are happy now. You are the person that can help me understand this surgery. I’ve known of people having it done, but I never understood it. You say that you tried every diet advertised. What does the surgery do aside from not allowing much food intake?
Last edited by herofan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm

One of my son in laws had it done a few years ago. He didn't have as much to lose as you did but really applied himself to the post surgery routine they recommended and looks like he's 18 years old. Weighs about 165 lbs. feels great, doesn't eat that much because he simply can't hold very much. Almost got addicted to walking right after the surgery. Just loved it and would walk 6-8 miles a day. That helped a lot as well. As far as I know he's on no meds and looking great. You can't just have the surgery and return to old habits though. It requires getting rid of some old habits.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”