Automatic Gate Openers?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Automatic Gate Openers?

Post by Kell-inKY » Thu May 12, 2016 2:26 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Not that it really matters but a gate opener will also hold the gate open. Once the gate fully opens give the remote a double tap and the gate will stay open till you tap the remote again. My gate isn't for my security, it's to keep the dumb azzes from driving down my driveway. I have major problems with someone that drives past, keep out and no trespassing signs, just because the gate is open. I've snatched people out truck window's, ran them almost into the pond, and rammed a truck with my tractor. The idiot was a 1/2 mile back in my property trying to get around me to leave. He wasn't going to say anything. I thought I had finally caught me a thief, but he was just trying to sell me an asphalt drive way, supposedly.

Exactly.
The wife said she doesn't care if we spend 5000 dollars, she wants a gate (and an automatic one at that). I was wondering if I could leave it open, that would come in handy.

The last straw was someone (out of towner) supposedly wanting to paint my fence, more likely casing my home for a robbery. Signs have not been working, our house is a quarter mile from the road and hidden, most likely you are up to no good if you are coming down our drive un-invited.

I would like the camera that e-mails you a photo of movement, but it is too far away to get a wifi signal (quarter mile), and a trail camera is after the fact. Still figuring that one out, might put it at the stables closer to the road.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Community reputation works better than a gate. word gets around pretty quick if your a little off center
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Thu May 12, 2016 4:25 pm

M-5 wrote:Community reputation works better than a gate. word gets around pretty quick if your a little off center

And we'll armed! :P
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:03 pm

M-5 wrote:Community reputation works better than a gate. word gets around pretty quick if your a little off center

Ah, but that doesnt keep out the Jehovah witnesses.
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Yes even jw will get the message , come to find out there just as scared of being shot as the next guy is. But usually if you tell them to come on in and I'll see if I can get you saved and if your lucky you'll be speaking in tongues before you leave does the trick.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Thu May 12, 2016 7:24 pm

well for me...I didn't like getting into a 50000$ truck soaking be nice wet in the winter when its 25 degrees here in fl. and my wife liked it even less. ya know what she hated..draggin all that mud into work or havin to change her shoes before she walked in. ya know what sucks....my driveways too far too walk..but if my lazy butt don't wanna walk and the battery in the remote is good..
when my 78 yr old mom shows up she can hit her opener and drive in w/o havin to lock it behind her.
I keep my running with a minimum of maint. I just replaced 2 solar panels after 15 yrs. battery..
lookie here....I know gate openers..all my neighbors ask me how to fix thiers and ive messed with a lot of em..but mine will wear out before it breaks...and that's a rarity...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Kell-inKY » Fri May 13, 2016 8:35 am

The GTO looks to have better pricing than Apollo and seems to be built better than the mighty mule? Any more thoughts on them fence?

Got my railroad ties in the ground and the boards stained. Wife is still insisting on 2 wood gates vs. 1 metal gate, to me that sounds like twice the amount to wear out.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri May 13, 2016 8:42 am

Get the Apollo...and those cross ties and gates will be sagging in a couple of weeks. Wood gates just look pretty.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Philip-TX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Philip-TX » Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 am

Kell-inKY wrote:The GTO looks to have better pricing than Apollo and seems to be built better than the mighty mule? Any more thoughts on them fence?

Got my railroad ties in the ground and the boards stained. Wife is still insisting on 2 wood gates vs. 1 metal gate, to me that sounds like twice the amount to wear out.

Nice looking drive-up lane...

Just put opener on one of the gates.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri May 13, 2016 9:13 am

Kell-inKY wrote:The GTO looks to have better pricing than Apollo and seems to be built better than the mighty mule? Any more thoughts on them fence?

You've got it right .gto is in between. I don't install them. I only install Apollo and elite.
You don't even wanna know what the elite cost. I 've worked on the gto and you can make it a lot more reliable by using a 12 volt. Deep cycle marine battery instead of the little deer feeder battery.
2 gates equals two actuators and more dollars. If dollars was a issue.
I would lean towards one 16 foot gate and a higher quality operator :2cents:

Let me know what you decide on. I won't try to change your mind. But I can probably tell you the little idiosyncrasies with each.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Fri May 13, 2016 9:25 am

yep for the gto I have a deep cycle and 2 solar panels..short winter days will make it not work. mine also has an automatic lock since aholes do try to squeeze by it by pushing on it. mine is locked solid when it shuts. cant open w/o a key or the openers. I also put barbed wire across the top since they climb over also....at least now they will hafta try to fence not ruin my gate
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

clintong
Beginner
Beginner

Post by clintong » Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 am

If you can dig the trench from the electrical portion of the opener to the house and put in your own conduit it could save you a bit.

Purchasing it on your own and paying someone to do the actual install may save you some cash as you at least will not be paying the dealer mark up.