Technology in your pasture

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Jkroper20
Beginner
Beginner

Technology in your pasture

Postby Jkroper20 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Technology is becoming more apart of our lives everyday and has already revolutionized the row cropping industry. Will technology advance to the point of assisting us with taking care of our cattle? What technological advances do you guys think will be made (if any) or needs to be made in the next 100 years to make taking care of our cows just a little bit easier or more efficient? Merry Late Christmas guys! :cowboy:
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Technology in your pasture

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:06 pm

100 years is a long time. No telling how many changes will come about by then. I doubt many cow/calf operations will be delving in to technology either. The majority are like me, and too small to afford much of it. To partially answer your question, it'd be neat if I could get an email when a cows water had broken.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:13 pm

I think something like that could be done if you could measure the breathing/pulse rate/body temp.. I think it wouldn't be that hard to do, but once a corporation gets the idea they need a 200% profit and it'll be unaffordable to us guys.

Good cow-cams are already a serious help, though I don't have them either
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 pm

All very nice, but doubtful you will be more profitable because of it all. Cutting costs is the name of the game. Invest money in good bulls that keep the cows problem-free and doing their job. Gotta be profitable whether your selling $500 or $2000 calves. Otherwise you have to grow the herd to sustain your addiction to efficiency and before you know it, you can no longer handle the workload, have to hire an extra hand and profit just becomes some hazy dream.

The cropping industry has lost their mind with the 'efficiency' mentality. Only ones that became more profitable are the machinery, seed and chemical dealers.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Aaron wrote:All very nice, but doubtful you will be more profitable because of it all. Cutting costs is the name of the game. Invest money in good bulls that keep the cows problem-free and doing their job. Gotta be profitable whether your selling $500 or $2000 calves. Otherwise you have to grow the herd to sustain your addiction to efficiency and before you know it, you can no longer handle the workload, have to hire an extra hand and profit just becomes some hazy dream.

The cropping industry has lost their mind with the 'efficiency' mentality. Only ones that became more profitable are the machinery, seed and chemical dealers.

I agree. But the farmers still in business here either play the game (to some extent) or get left behind. It's a double edged sword. It's not impossible but it's hard to maintain a business without growing or embracing change. But I couldn't agree more that the farmers aren't making more money. Just surviving. The others you mentioned are building empires.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 pm

http://moocall.com/

I am intrigued with the Moocall Calving Sensor, primarily for calving out heifers. But Murphy's Law; I'd place it on the heifer I thought was going to calve & naturally it would be the wrong one. Probably just easier & less expensive to set my alarm every couple hours & haul my a$$ down to the barn in the middle of the night or bed-down with 'em :)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I looked at Moocall.. a lot of money for it, and from what I remember, it needs a cell phone signal, which we don't have, and that would also mean a subscriber fee
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:19 pm

100 yrs? Questions like that always remind me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesyhQkYrQM
(pantywadders----just ignore the part past 1:30)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:48 am

Weather forecasting is an area that technology plays a part in and better long range forecasting and disseminating the info could assist a lot.
Ken
0 x

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:46 pm

Aaron wrote:All very nice, but doubtful you will be more profitable because of it all. Cutting costs is the name of the game. Invest money in good bulls that keep the cows problem-free and doing their job. Gotta be profitable whether your selling $500 or $2000 calves. Otherwise you have to grow the herd to sustain your addiction to efficiency and before you know it, you can no longer handle the workload, have to hire an extra hand and profit just becomes some hazy dream.

Fully agree Aaron, we farmed the home farm from 1945 till 2012, 4 generations. On that 180 acres I would have been close to a yield monitor, my father and grand father would have been as accurate if not more so, and known why. Computers are great, and we need them as we just can not learn the land like generations before us did. Many farms are too big, tractors are too big, and comfortable, there is just no chance to learn the same way.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Robotic dairies will probably be on the horizon probably at least 50 years before the public figures out that the color of the hair doesn't have anything to do with meat quality.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Robotic dairies will probably be on the horizon probably at least 50 years before the public figures out that the color of the hair doesn't have anything to do with meat quality.

They already are. Not just automilkers but full robotics. From the cow walking into the milking station, cleaning the udder to finding the teat and applying the inflations to coming off and the cow walking out. Pretty amazing stuff
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:26 pm

dun wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Robotic dairies will probably be on the horizon probably at least 50 years before the public figures out that the color of the hair doesn't have anything to do with meat quality.

They already are. Not just automilkers but full robotics. From the cow walking into the milking station, cleaning the udder to finding the teat and applying the inflations to coming off and the cow walking out. Pretty amazing stuff

:nod: :nod: :nod:

While I have not had the opportunity to see this "in person", I have seen some photos and read some real interesting articles about some dairies that have implemented this technology.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 pm

I'd like to see that. We are still behind the times here. Sure would cut down on labor problems.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:While I have not had the opportunity to see this "in person", I have seen some photos and read some real interesting articles about some dairies that have implemented this technology.

Saw it on Discovery channel a couple of years ago. Carousels are pretty common but the robotic deal was a real mind blower.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”