M & M's in cattle feed...............

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

M & M's in cattle feed...............

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I buy 3-way feed mix at my local farm/agri/feed store which is shipped in from were I don't know. Every time I buy the feed it has lots of M & M's mixed in the feed (I can provide a picture if you don't believe me). My opinion these large retail store would rather have excess dumped in feed as to lower prices in the stores. Walmart will have shelves full of candy at Christmas and you go back the day after New Years and think you can get a good buy and it is all gone. Now I know were it goes.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Re: M & M's in cattle feed...............

Postby ez14 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:52 pm

So is what your saying is if we want a good deal on m&ms you got some
2 x
with your shield or on it

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 pm

At the " Mars factory" in Waco you can buy @80 lb "drums" of candy slag. I know guys that use them on a deer lease. That's probably where your M&M are coming from too
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

jltrent wrote:I buy 3-way feed mix at my local farm/agri/feed store which is shipped in from were I don't know. Every time I buy the feed it has lots of M & M's mixed in the feed (I can provide a picture if you don't believe me). My opinion these large retail store would rather have excess dumped in feed as to lower prices in the stores. Walmart will have shelves full of candy at Christmas and you go back the day after New Years and think you can get a good buy and it is all gone. Now I know were it goes.

Not uncommon in the dairy industry to find folks that feed candy. Pure energy. Most will be ground up to some extend and the only bad thing is that much of it is done with the wrapper still on it so there might be some paper or foil in the mix. Same for old cookies. Use to be a plant in Mount Pleasant Texas that would collect old cookies, crush them, cook them and sell "cookie meal". Good protein and very good energy.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:03 pm

TexasBred wrote:
jltrent wrote:I buy 3-way feed mix at my local farm/agri/feed store which is shipped in from were I don't know. Every time I buy the feed it has lots of M & M's mixed in the feed (I can provide a picture if you don't believe me). My opinion these large retail store would rather have excess dumped in feed as to lower prices in the stores. Walmart will have shelves full of candy at Christmas and you go back the day after New Years and think you can get a good buy and it is all gone. Now I know were it goes.

Not uncommon in the dairy industry to find folks that feed candy. Pure energy. Most will be ground up to some extend and the only bad thing is that much of it is done with the wrapper still on it so there might be some paper or foil in the mix. Same for old cookies. Use to be a plant in Mount Pleasant Texas that would collect old cookies, crush them, cook them and sell "cookie meal". Good protein and very good energy.
When I pour out the feed I pick up lots of M & M paper mixed in and most of the M & M s are still uncrushed. It ought to be called 4-way feed.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:21 pm

The M&Ms are really just disguised chicken poop......
:hide:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm

It's not in my feed, but I've seen it lots of time. Fella around the corner from drives a chip truck. I guess he's in tight with the bread man to. He spends every afternoon opening chips and bread to top out a few hogs.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Bigfoot wrote:It's not in my feed, but I've seen it lots of time. Fella around the corner from drives a chip truck. I guess he's in tight with the bread man to. He spends every afternoon opening chips and bread to top out a few hogs.

Yessir. I know a guy who gets all the outdated Dorito chips and corn tortillas and feeds to his hogs.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:43 pm

I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

mooo
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mooo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 pm

makes some cheap high energy feed ,an they Love it !
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm

I used to get a bulk feed mix from a mill that always had M&M's, Cheetos, Peanuts, etc.. mixed into it. Cows didn't seem to mind it!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:05 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

You got me beat, Sky :)

0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 pm

When I used to raise dairy calves one of the ingredients in the feed ration I used was cookie meal as someone else has mentioned in an earlier post. The calves did pretty good on that ration.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Are M&M's organic? :lol:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:22 pm

I was dumping out a sack today and a full unmolested still in the wrapper Twix bar came rolling out. These cows are going to have a sweet tooth.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”