Opened A New Feed Store

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Opened A New Feed Store

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:47 pm

TexasBred wrote:then the state of Texas passed a new feed law that the sacks could not be exchanged.... Said they were afraid of what might have been put in then while "on the farm" so rather than pay $25 extra for the big bag I just went back to the 50 lb. bags.

Is it just me or does it seem like the gov't always finds a way to screw over the smaller producers in favor of the big guys with their silly regulations?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:48 am

Jogeephus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:then the state of Texas passed a new feed law that the sacks could not be exchanged.... Said they were afraid of what might have been put in then while "on the farm" so rather than pay $25 extra for the big bag I just went back to the 50 lb. bags.

Is it just me or does it seem like the gov't always finds a way to screw over the smaller producers in favor of the big guys with their silly regulations?

It's not you Jo....another big change coming end of year is the revised Veterinary Feed Directive which is going to make it expensive for producers to obtain and use certain medications and medicated feeds. Of course it is backed by the Vets as they stand to gain thousands of new clients.
Last edited by TexasBred on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

RiverHills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby RiverHills » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:06 am

Jogeephus wrote:

Sure does seem like everything these days are geared towards the big guys.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 am

Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!
I strongly suggest you get in tight with the local FFA and 4-H groups, support the local fairs and such. Our feed store will buy our kids premium, or make an "ad-on" if the price goes too high (usually the kids make about $300 total). It is great advertising for the business to put a little back into the kids pockets. We buy feed at that feed store because we know they support the kids at the county fair. It benefits both of us!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:49 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!
I strongly suggest you get in tight with the local FFA and 4-H groups, support the local fairs and such. Our feed store will buy our kids premium, or make an "ad-on" if the price goes too high (usually the kids make about $300 total). It is great advertising for the business to put a little back into the kids pockets. We buy feed at that feed store because we know they support the kids at the county fair. It benefits both of us!

We used to use Moorman's mineral for cattle, I don't remember a store carrying it here. They had local individuals as dealer/representative, that would come around and take orders, and bring it. I haven't heard of anyone doing that for several years. I now use Purina or Southern States products from our local stores.
0 x

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Just like the old days used to save good 50 lb bags and got a dime to fifteen cents each for them. Saved a little of the feed bill by re-seling them and then gov. came and said they couldn't reuse them either. When I get a bulk bag now it holds about 2300 on average and the different is about 40 dollars a ton between that and buying a ton in 50 lb bags. Use the same bag an they fill it and load it with a forklift.
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:15 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Can you carry Mormans? Not sure if that is a conflict with Purina, but they have good show feed also. We feed Morman's pig feed to the two show pigs we raise every year for our local county fair, and at $40/cwt, it is NOT CHEAP!

Purina gets pretty particular with regards to competitive feeds... especially the "premium" feeds. They really don't care about the "Cheap" feeds... there will always be a demand for the 10-12% Sweet Feeds or All-Stock. Purina realizes that and understands that it is more economical for us to purchase that stuff locally. My Father-in-Law was a dairyman his entire life and I can remember the Moormans feed trucks delivering feed to his dairy.

With regards to the local FFA and 4-H groups, yes we are starting to work with a few of the local ones!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:43 am

Congratulations on the new venture - I hope it works out great for your family. That's something that I've always thought I'd like to try someday. I missed a good opportunity to buy one years ago, maybe I won't next time.

ADM now owns the Moorman brand, and the only individual dealers are those that are grandfathered in. Otherwise it all moves through a retail feed store. They do still employ salesmen (or "reps") that get out and hustle business, and some do some personal delivery, but everything has to run through a retail outlet. And yeah, I doubt if Purina or ADM would be open to a new dealer selling both - they'd both like to be exclusive ( at least as far as their "full line" products go) but you do sometimes see well established, high volume dealers that handle both.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:52 am

DLD wrote:Congratulations on the new venture - I hope it works out great for your family. That's something that I've always thought I'd like to try someday. I missed a good opportunity to buy one years ago, maybe I won't next time.

ADM now owns the Moorman brand, and the only individual dealers are those that are grandfathered in. Otherwise it all moves through a retail feed store. They do still employ salesmen (or "reps") that get out and hustle business, and some do some personal delivery, but everything has to run through a retail outlet. And yeah, I doubt if Purina or ADM would be open to a new dealer selling both - they'd both like to be exclusive ( at least as far as their "full line" products go) but you do sometimes see well established, high volume dealers that handle both.

Remind them that it is your store. They might whine a bit but I have several friends that sell purina and other feeds. They catch a little flack about tonnage as Purina almost demands that their tonnage go up every year but otherwise it's not a problem.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Mat Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Mat Man » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Tn Cattle Man,
Just curious if new road widing project is going to do with your business ?
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Mat Man wrote:Tn Cattle Man,

That hasn't been determined just yet... we know where the borders of the road will be, just not sure where they will make me move the fence too. I can't afford to lose to much of my parking lot as we have to be able to get big trucks in there weekly. Worst case scenario is that I find a new location. Do you come in to the store?
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:
Mat Man wrote:Tn Cattle Man,

That hasn't been determined just yet... we know where the borders of the road will be, just not sure where they will make me move the fence too. I can't afford to lose to much of my parking lot as we have to be able to get big trucks in there weekly. Worst case scenario is that I find a new location. Do you come in to the store?

You don't have much ground to spare. Good luck on that.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Mat Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Mat Man » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 pm

I have been in store once but come by there 4 days a week at 5:30 am
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”