Best exercise for osteoarthritis

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand

Best exercise for osteoarthritis

Postby ranchersswiss » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi All! I hope you can help me start a good exercise program to prevent severe attacks of osteoarthritis pain.
0 x

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Best exercise for osteoarthritis

Postby Txpiney » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 am

I have osteoarthritis, and it's the worse in my shoulders and hands, but I've been a mechanic all my working life. I get a LOT of exercise at work so I can't say I do any on my own. Doctor prescribed me Mobic, insurance would only pay for the generic Meloxicam, so I've been taking it for about 6 months and it has made a world of difference in the pain. Now I have most of my range of motion back in my shoulders and hands. Doc said the worse your arthritis gets the more muscle mass you loose. Only problem is, it's hard on your kidneys, but I haven't noticed much difference in any side effects. I may look into steroid injections in my shoulders, so I can get off the pills.just remember, as Dun said, old age ain't for wimps. :lol:
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am

Four step exercise program:
1.Hold whiskey bottle in right hand.
2.Hold glass in left hand.
3.Pour whiskey into glass.
4.Drink whiskey from glass.
Repeat as needed.

If you find a better solution please let me know. Serious.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 am

Txpiney wrote:I have osteoarthritis, and it's the worse in my shoulders and hands, but I've been a mechanic all my working life. I get a LOT of exercise at work so I can't say I do any on my own. Doctor prescribed me Mobic, insurance would only pay for the generic Meloxicam, so I've been taking it for about 6 months and it has made a world of difference in the pain. Now I have most of my range of motion back in my shoulders and hands. Doc said the worse your arthritis gets the more muscle mass you loose. Only problem is, it's hard on your kidneys, but I haven't noticed much difference in any side effects. I may look into steroid injections in my shoulders, so I can get off the pills.just remember, as Dun said, old age ain't for wimps. :lol:

Keep an eye on your eyesight if you get steroid injections. They gave my 60-something aunt bad cataracts very quickly. Known side effect I'm told. Just fyi.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 am

Txpiney wrote:I have osteoarthritis, and it's the worse in my shoulders and hands, but I've been a mechanic all my working life. I get a LOT of exercise at work so I can't say I do any on my own. Doctor prescribed me Mobic, insurance would only pay for the generic Meloxicam, so I've been taking it for about 6 months and it has made a world of difference in the pain. Now I have most of my range of motion back in my shoulders and hands. Doc said the worse your arthritis gets the more muscle mass you loose. Only problem is, it's hard on your kidneys, but I haven't noticed much difference in any side effects. I may look into steroid injections in my shoulders, so I can get off the pills.just remember, as Dun said, old age ain't for wimps. :lol:

Been on generic Mobic for 5 years. Really helps me too. Just this week my heart dr recommended I quit it or at least cut the dose back
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 am

kenny thomas wrote:

Been on generic Mobic for 5 years. Really helps me too. Just this week my heart dr recommended I quit it or at least cut the dose back

I am ate up with and have the surgery scars to prove it.
The best defense is warm weather and mobility. You can’t outrun your DNA.
Most of the medicine side effects are worse than the arthritis.
The anti inflammatory the Dr gave me gout works better than anything I have tried. It is not a long term solution just when you can’t stand it anymore.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 am

Walking.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

Water exercises.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am

bbirder wrote:Water exercises.

I haven't swam for probably 10 year or more.. I went swimming with the kids this year 2 times. My knee never felt better. It really did it good.

an exercise bike really helps out too.
0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 am

I'm getting therapy right now 3 times a week in a heated pool. No Swimming. Just light walking, stretching and cardio. The water takes the weight off your joints and you still benefit from the exercises. An hour in the pool really pumps me up. Wish I would have started earlier.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Walking.

Your actually right my neurosurgeon said get up and walk every hour and not from the recliner to the refrigerator.
Said a minimum of 750 steps an hour.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Walking.

Your actually right my neurosurgeon said get up and walk every hour and not from the recliner to the refrigerator.
Said a minimum of 750 steps an hour.

Well of course I'm right, your not my wife.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

nimblebowls
Beginner
Beginner

Postby nimblebowls » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 pm

My mother in law has osteoarthritis, and she doesn't want to take painkillers. What she does is she uses hot compresses to ease pain and stiffness.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 am

Best.hearing.pad.EVER. Have given several as gifts, and gotten unsolicited texts a year later, thanking me again for the pad that the recipient uses daily. It gets HOT but has a timer to shut off, as a safety measure. Many different temps: https://www.amazon.com/PureRelief-Fast- ... MRCHJ&th=1
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”