Any HVAC people on here?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Re: Any HVAC people on here?

Postby tom4018 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 pm

CottageFarm wrote:What amperage is the circuit breaker in your service panel?

60 in the panel and the unit. Unit breaker is what trips.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm

greybeard wrote:If anything, I would think the lack of a somewhat restrictive duct would cause it to pull fewer amps..not more.
I assume it's rated 240 volts due to the heater strips. 60A should be plenty good.

More amps GB "with current goes the flow" Pumps are the same way. High flow, high amps.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm

There are, unfortunately, several things that could be at fault. Need to eliminate one at a time.

1.Inspect all wiring carefully. Especially hot wires. Look for any nicks or anything that could be grounding out.
Verify all connections are tight and free of corrosion.
2.You didn't mention whether the fan comes on? I don't want to assume anything...
3.Try connecting a thermostat instead of the switch.
4.Its not common, but breakers do go bad, especially if they've been tripped many times.
5.Next step is testing or replacing parts. I would start with the transformer, limit switches, and contactors/sequencers in that order.

Lots of good videos on youtube to walk you thru different diagnostic tests for different parts.

The upside is this is likely an inexpensive, but frustrating process.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 am

CottageFarm wrote:There are, unfortunately, several things that could be at fault. Need to eliminate one at a time.

1.Inspect all wiring carefully. Especially hot wires. Look for any nicks or anything that could be grounding out.
Verify all connections are tight and free of corrosion.
2.You didn't mention whether the fan comes on? I don't want to assume anything...
3.Try connecting a thermostat instead of the switch.
4.Its not common, but breakers do go bad, especially if they've been tripped many times.
5.Next step is testing or replacing parts. I would start with the transformer, limit switches, and contactors/sequencers in that order.

Lots of good videos on youtube to walk you thru different diagnostic tests for different parts.

The upside is this is likely an inexpensive, but frustrating process.

Fan runs and actually the whole unit seems function normally for the few minutes it runs before the breaker trips. I thought this type furnace would've been better a couple of the 5000 watt garage heaters since it has a stronger blower. Going to try to troubleshoot it more this weekend but I just don't want to put more in it than what the other heaters would cost me.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:36 pm

The solution should cost substantially less than buying 2 5k units

Do we know why the unit was originally replaced? Just looking for potential starting points....

Any chance you have a clamp style multi-meter to test the voltage running thru wires both upstream and downstream of the circuit breaker on the unit?

If not....If it were mine, I think the first thing I would test is the circuit breaker in the unit. Either swap it with another one or bypass it to see if it trips the breaker in the panel.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm

CottageFarm wrote:The solution should cost substantially less than buying 2 5k units

Do we know why the unit was originally replaced? Just looking for potential starting points....

Any chance you have a clamp style multi-meter to test the voltage running thru wires both upstream and downstream of the circuit breaker on the unit?

If not....If it were mine, I think the first thing I would test is the circuit breaker in the unit. Either swap it with another one or bypass it to see if it trips the breaker in the panel.

They said they went to a heat pump. I got a meter and was planning on doing some testing tonight or over the weekend.
0 x

Kjfred
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Kjfred » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Less restriction on a typical furnace blower will cause an over current situation. In a nutshell you're letting it pull as much air as it can which takes more power. I would start by trying it with the inlet partially covered to rule out the blower drawing too many amps. An amp meter would be ideal but most folks dont have one laying around.
When you do get it installed amp draw should be measured for motor longevity and to ensure airflow across the heating elements is sufficient. Needs to be within design limits or it wont last
0 x
No matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.

Kjfred
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Kjfred » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:31 pm

If that doesnt do it i would check resistance on the heating elements.
I would sure think that if the low voltage control wiring(thermostat/switch) was pulling enough to trip a 60A breaker the smoke would lead you to the problem
0 x
No matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm

what size wiring are you using to connect it? should be a 6

you can bypass the systems breakers and direct wire it. That will eliminate the furnace breaker if the main 60 trips as well.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:54 pm

ddd75 wrote:what size wiring are you using to connect it? should be a 6

you can bypass the systems breakers and direct wire it. That will eliminate the furnace breaker if the main 60 trips as well.

It is #6 wire. It runs a couple minutes before tripping. I would think if I had something wired wrong it would instantly trip.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:38 pm

tom4018 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:what size wiring are you using to connect it? should be a 6

It is #6 wire. It runs a couple minutes before tripping. I would think if I had something wired wrong it would instantly trip.

i'm sure you wired it right, i'm just saying that the breaker in the furnace could be bad.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

I think I found the problem. Wires on unit side of breaker were loose, guess they loosened them for some reason on take out. Heating elements are pulling about 21 amps each and 45 for the whole unit. Does that seem normal?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 am

tom4018 wrote:I think I found the problem. Wires on unit side of breaker were loose, guess they loosened them for some reason on take out. Heating elements are pulling about 21 amps each and 45 for the whole unit. Does that seem normal?

yes.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:55 am

tom4018 wrote:I think I found the problem. Wires on unit side of breaker were loose, guess they loosened them for some reason on take out. Heating elements are pulling about 21 amps each and 45 for the whole unit. Does that seem normal?

Yup, 5000 watt coil at 220v average (wattage divided by voltage) will give you 22.72 amp draw.

Excellent that you got it solved!
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Now I need to come up something to direct my airflow. Some have suggested a square to round adapter with a elbow. Want to mount this in a loft and direct air down. Any suggestions?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”