Amazon narrows list.........

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:56 pm

I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.
3 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 pm

ga.prime wrote:I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.

I do the same for the same reason
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 pm

dun wrote:
ga.prime wrote:I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.

I do the same for the same reason

I have used amazon for something's but typically they are priced higher than others places like parts but other things are cheaper like boots or some clothes. I do far more ordering online than I feel I should have to but the parts houses have to order what I need most of the time so I just cut out the middle man .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 pm

Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Aaron wrote:
You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.

There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.

Taxing online purchases is not going to save the mom and pop stores. They can't begin to compete on price even without tax. Brick and mortar stores will eventually all go away, big and small all require too much investment and upkeep.

I come from the school of thought that less tax is always better, not advocating for more of it.

I agree, let's repeal all local sales taxes. Or....level the playing field and everybody pays the same tax.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

I also agree with you but there should be sales tax collected and forwarded to the Georgia Dept of Revenue.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I also agree with you but there should be sales tax collected and forwarded to the Georgia Dept of Revenue.

I am taxed on all online purchases, it went through our state legislature. And I live in one of the reddest states in America! Taxes....they're coming for you, too! :lol2: I don't mind paying it, honestly, b/c the prices are still cheaper and it pays for essential services (what I tell myself so I can sleep at night). And it sure beats the taxation rate in Europe and Canada! :banana:
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Last edited by slick4591 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

And it sure beats the taxation rate in Europe and Canada! :banana:

Sounds like you're well on your way to joining us! Congrats! Must not be many red states left - more like purple. :D
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

GATE.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Wall.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Machine gun
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 am

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 am

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and don't mind paying the tax. I use them mostly for convenience and availability. The problem is not just the competition for Mom and Pops. Without the tax to the local governing bodies, who us going to pay the Police and Firemen and all the other services we expect in this country.
Disclaimer: This is not to say that we always get the Bang for our Buck.
1 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm

I can't understand how Amazon can sell some items so cheap. I was the car audio buyer where I work before we completely quit the line.
We were supposedly set up to buy direct from manufacturers at the best price.
In reality, I could buy Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer from Amazon free shipping and no tax cheaper.
One of the last straws for me for even selling car audio was i had a customer needing a specific subwoofer box. I put together a 2000.00 order to get prepaid freight called it in and was told would take two weeks.
I happened to look on Amazon and the specific box was 20.00 cheaper than my cost and could have in two Days.

I cancelled the whole direct order . Bought from a Amazon and sold to customer. Also canceled dealer agreement with audioenhancers . Went with a different brand but eventually just quit, now there are no car audio stores within 100 miles of town.
0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Today, after my last post, I drove down a major road in a mid-size city and observed the following: In all of the small to medium shopping centers there were real estate signs showing properties for sale and vacant bldgs. The only businesses I saw were nail parlors,eating establishments (no one cooks any longer), and used car lots. Many former retail shops were buttoned up. Many of these were family businesses that were established by "refuges" or hard working immigrants from the old country. The others were young entrepreneurs who busted bu** to get a business started and had to fold. This was the American Way, but it no longer can survive with technology. I will definitely think hard before clicking Amazon again.

A side note: A doctor told me this today....

We think Robots are the problem with unemployment.
Wait until they invent Mexican Robots!
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”