Chicken vs Beef

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Chicken vs Beef

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 am

Jogeephus wrote:Someone will make a killing off this. Probably not the producer but those who are doing the certifying surely will. People want to feel a connection with their food.

Many folks want cheap food from a factory. Some folks want good food from a local, but are often confused by labels and certifications.

Local grass fed producers here are struggling to compete with not cool imports. Are there good examples were producers benefited from a local brand, or are quality food producers limited to one on one relationship selling?
0 x
Stocker Steve

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am

people will buy whatever is cheapest 90% of the time..wanna get rich..market to poor people
4 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 am

dieselbeef wrote:people will buy whatever is cheapest 90% of the time..wanna get rich..market to poor people

How about some taco filling made out of beans?
0 x
Stocker Steve

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am

marketing is about the cheapest..ever heard of dollar meals?

make it cheap enough for food stamps and youll be set for life
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:32 am

hurleyjd wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Beef is doing similar with all the Farm To Table. Not necessarily promoting organic NO antibiotics ever but Creekstone Farms Premium Beef brings a lot of their big customers to the ranch for marketing opportunities. They get to take pics & videos hand-feeding, bottle feeding, petting, walking through my herd so they can post on their websites/show all their customers how they purchase & subsequently serve happy, healthy cows. But Creekstone also takes them to feedlots and through their slaughter process so the customer is truly aware it's not all green grass & sunshine.

Do they pay the advertising fee that we pay at the sale barn. If they do okay otherwise they are riding on our nickle.

I have no problem allowing them to promote BQA & humane treatment & do not expect to be compensated. Although the Director of Cattle Procurement is also tied to a family operation/feedlot and they purchase the majority of my steers, the majority of my heifers are bought as replacements by another associate.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 am

Son of Butch wrote:
shaz wrote:Can't imagine ANY farmer owns enough chickens to keep up with production.

IF not from farms where do you think chickens come from?

Can you imagine ANY farmer selling enough steers direct to a packer to earn a volume bonus?

Any farmer owns enough...

These chickens are mostly owned by Tyson and such.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

One of the things you sometimes find is a company or a producer who is making good money in a break even, or unprofitable, industry. They usually have a better brand name or better marketing or both. The not -so-good marketing group often reacts with more cost cutting or more complaining or lower salaries or more volume...

Which group are we in?
1 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 am

shaz wrote:
shaz wrote:Can't imagine ANY farmer owns enough chickens to keep up with production.

And that is one of Shenandoah's selling points... Farmer owned... rather than the industry standard indentured servitude model used by Tyson ect.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:One of the things you sometimes find is a company or a producer who is making good money in a break even, or unprofitable, industry. They usually have a better brand name or better marketing or both. The not -so-good marketing group often reacts with more cost cutting or more complaining or lower salaries or more volume...

Which group are we in?

Bad marketing. I couldn't be a salesman or politician if my life depended on it.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm

dieselbeef wrote:people will buy whatever is cheapest 90% of the time..wanna get rich..market to poor people

If you wanna get rich, sell the feathers and eat the beef. No kidding a "jungle cock" cape just sold on ebay for $435, Yes Just the cape of feathers from around the cocks neck. It seems there is big business in this from fly tying.

So I am checking my Amerucuanas closely. Really close. If any of them still have the "eye" pattern in their feathers I will no longer throw the feathers in the trash can. I will cape every dang one of them from now on.

The people paying big bucks don't care if the feathers are from GMO free, cage free, free range, open range etc. All natural feathers are going on the end of a fishing fly.

Yes I have bee gullible enough to throw feathers away when I plucked a chicken.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
shaz wrote:

And that is one of Shenandoah's selling points... Farmer owned... rather than the industry standard indentured servitude model used by Tyson ect.

Must be a little profit in it. Folks are throwing up 8 or 10 of those new chicken houses as fast as they can get them built. Same for turkey farmers.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 pm

shaz wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:One of the things you sometimes find is a company or a producer who is making good money in a break even, or unprofitable, industry. They usually have a better brand name or better marketing or both. The not -so-good marketing group often reacts with more cost cutting or more complaining or lower salaries or more volume...

Which group are we in?

Bad marketing. I couldn't be a salesman or politician if my life depended on it.

Nothing in the world moves without a salesman getting the ball rolling.
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:24 pm

TexasBred wrote:Must be a little profit in it. Folks are throwing up 8 or 10 of those new chicken houses as fast as they can get them built. Same for turkey farmers.

Yeah....the litter sells for $35 a ton....... :D
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 am

1982vett wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Must be a little profit in it. Folks are throwing up 8 or 10 of those new chicken houses as fast as they can get them built. Same for turkey farmers.

Yeah....the litter sells for $35 a ton....... :D

That's kind of chicken chit aint it ?
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 am

I'm probably going to buy gray jungle fowl eggs, incubate them, and line breed some, if they'll breed, to my Amerucuanas

If this doesn't work its not a big loss.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”