Driveway alarms?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Driveway alarms?

Postby tom4018 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 am

Anyone got a driveway alarm? Suggestions?
Been looking online at the one Mighty Mule has.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Driveway alarms?

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 am

1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 am

Deer and such will drive you crazy with the motion sensor alarms. Use the ones with the magnetic sensor and bed the sensor in clean sand.
Mighty mule surprisingly makes a decent one.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 am

callmefence wrote:Deer and such will drive you crazy with the motion sensor alarms. Use the ones with the magnetic sensor and bed the sensor in clean sand.

Deer weren’t a problem for me but spiders and birds was another story.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mouth_Cur

We've been getting along well with this brand. They last 10-12 years before they need replacing.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 am

I got a Dakota..for 15 yrs probly..still going strong...
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:40 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mouth_Cur

We've been getting along well with this brand. They last 10-12 years before they need replacing.

We have a couple of those but when in the shop/man cave you can't hear them. They stay over by the house. Wanted something that would go off in the shop.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 am

tom4018 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mouth_Cur

We have a couple of those but when in the shop/man cave you can't hear them. They stay over by the house. Wanted something that would go off in the shop.

We have that problem too, but there's usually a blood trail if we really need to know who it was. :lol:
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:52 pm

What is one for? Does it just let you know if a car is coming down the driveway?
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

My son gave me Guardline's for my birthday last year. Two remote sensors and two monitors for the house. One upstairs, one downstairs. They're Ok so far. I need to adjust the sensitivity on the outside sensors because they've been really good at notifying me of birds, the cats coming and going, leaves blowing, dust from a car/truck going by, anything that doesn't matter at 3am! Because of that, I've gotten pretty indifferent to the alarm going off. That defeats their purpose.
The Guardline has somewhere around 30 different alarm tones so you can program that many remote (outside) sensors to one inside monitor. They have two different outside sensors with different coverage specs. One covers 50 feet, the better one covers something like a 1/4 mile. It takes some time to get them positioned correctly. They have a small red light that lights up when they're triggered. That's probably not so good if someone is really paying attention. The alarm would be activated but I read where some had their sensors stolen because of the red light. The outside sensor looks like a little brown bird house on mine.
0 x

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:48 pm

We have a Chamberlain. Had it 5 or 6 years and still works good. I think 1000 ft range. Has turned out to be a pretty good investment. Saved my dad $60k when his work truck and trailer were stolen right out of our pole barn. We didn't think it would happen to us but it did.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CWA2 ... dpSrc=srch
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 pm

callmefence wrote:Deer and such will drive you crazy with the motion sensor alarms. Use the ones with the magnetic sensor and bed the sensor in clean sand.

A man that we did some work for, has a set up like that. He has a circular/horse-shoe driveway and he has a sensor at both entrances and they are magnetic. It is the metal of a vehicle that sets it off, not by motion. I do not know what brand his system is. We have been thinking about doing something similar.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:

A man that we did some work for, has a set up like that. He has a circular/horse-shoe driveway and he has a sensor at both entrances and they are magnetic. It is the metal of a vehicle that sets it off, not by motion. I do not know what brand his system is. We have been thinking about doing something similar.

Nobody can really get in our place without us expecting them . But we have three generations on the place in three houses. Dad likes to sit and watch TV in his drawers. And he falls asleep and won't answer and push the button to open the gate. So we put him one in.
Works very well. If you're on a ATV you gotta ride the side with the sensor or it will sometimes miss you. But it'll get a car ever time. Used to swing around it ever now and then and slip.up on him as a joke. Quit doing that.... he'll shoot ya.. ;-)
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am

A good dog would be cheaper. Most of our best alarms just showed up at our backdoor one day.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:A good dog would be cheaper. Most of our best alarms just showed up at our backdoor one day.

That’s true.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”