Mud and Muck

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Mud and Muck

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 am

We need a couple days of sunshine.
Coming down in buckets right now and we have rain in the forecast 8 out of the next ten days.
I have never seen this sand country as sloppy as this year. I may be totally wrong but I attribute this to Harvey overcharging the aquifer or getting it absolutely full.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Mud and Muck

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 am

We are in the same boat. I thought the extreme mud might be due to the two weeks of deep ground freeze followed by lots of rain. The bottom has dropped out. Suppose to start raining about 10 am and go through Saturday.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 am

I have to move the feed bunk every couple of days as it gets too muddy for the cows to get too.
They will be sinking to their belly if I don’t. Never had that problem before.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 am

mud mud.. and mud on top of mud around here.

need to get some #2's delivered before I get any deeper
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 am

I hope it doesn't rain out now and this summer a long hot dry scorcher. It was 79 yesterday here and I was out working in a T-shirt.
2 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I have to move the feed bunk every couple of days as it gets too muddy for the cows to get too.

count your blessings the alternative is not fun .
3 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

Saw a couple reports that said we got between 3 and 4 inches yesterday. It's continued to rain all night and raining now. Looks like several of us have the same conditions.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am

Its been like that for weeks here...total mud hole. Better than the alternative.

Tim
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:We are in the same boat. I thought the extreme mud might be due to the two weeks of deep ground freeze followed by lots of rain. The bottom has dropped out. Suppose to start raining about 10 am and go through Saturday.

I agree. We had a pretty long spell of colder than normal temps here and the ground froze deeper than it has in a long time. Then all the sudden it warmed up and rained for 10 straight days here. Makes for some muddy ground
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am

It’s the worst mess here that I can remember, and more rain predicted through Sunday. It’s terrible putting out hay. Even the undisturbed ground gets extremely sloppy once a vehicle gets on it. I was driving along the other day, and suddenly a mud ball flew up from the tire and hit me in the face. I felt like I was on the Three Stooges. As someone said, however, the alternative is worse.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am

M-5 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I have to move the feed bunk every couple of days as it gets too muddy for the cows to get too.

count your blessings the alternative is not fun .

That is what scares me one extreme is usually followed by another.
08 was bad 11 got people’s mind right the ones that survived.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 am

herofan wrote:It’s the worst mess here that I can remember, and more rain predicted through Sunday. It’s terrible putting out hay. Even the undisturbed ground gets extremely sloppy once a vehicle gets on it. I was driving along the other day, and suddenly a mud ball flew up from the tire and hit me in the face. I felt like I was on the Three Stooges. As someone said, however, the alternative is worse.

It's gettin about like this here:
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am

Finally got some rain last night but haven't checked the gauge yet. Looks like stock tank caught quite a bit so must have been a couple of inches. We needed It really bad. Were beginning to have a lot of little wild fires popping up from cigarettes being thrown out windows etc. Had no green winter grass at all.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

We need rain desperately and it is predicted, starting later today through the weekend. All we've had so far is ice. Getting the netting off the bales was a PITA - and a good workout. Had to climb on the top ring, which was covered in ice, and under the top layer of frozen netting & hay that weighed a freakin' ton. Once I wedged myself under the layer I was able to finally knock it off. Hubby was snuggly warm in the tractor. But to his credit, he did try to pull it off with the bale speer but the netting was too frozen and just ripped.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am

We have been in the mud here something awful, had a couple good days yesterday was 80 or maybe a little over and windy. If it had stayed like that it may have dried out some but back to raining now. This time last year had already had the garden worked up, not sure when that will happen this time.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”