Mud and Muck

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Mud and Muck

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:11 am

tom4018 wrote:I think it is the worst I have seen. Put hay out last night trying to beat the next round of rain. Tractor sliding all over the place. Getting worried that the bottom will fall out next.

Bottom is out. Some good reading on flooding here. By Monday, Maysville will have the new record for precipitation in February. We are at about 9 inches now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courie ... /366972002

Our February 2018 flood could bring the highest Ohio River levels since the devastating flood of 1997 – and the second highest in more than 50 years.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Another 2.5 inches so far today.
Never seen it this wet here this sand country is just mush.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Well, I don't guess you want to hear about our sunshine and 65 today, do you? I've sure been needing this kinda weather tho.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

got some gravel down.. its working.

50 and nice today. still a muddy swamp.. 50's and sunshine all week I think. Hope it dries out I only have 10 more days of hay and if I run out i'll have to really rut up to get more
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm

ddd75 wrote:got some gravel down.. its working.

50 and nice today. still a muddy swamp.. 50's and sunshine all week I think. Hope it dries out I only have 10 more days of hay and if I run out i'll have to really rut up to get more

Walking across the ground is hard as there is so much water standing. Cows drinking from puddles in the pasture. Probably had 5 or more inches since Wednesday. They are saying rain again Wednesday. Sorry to hear of your hay situation, I should have enough to go until the first week of April at this rate but they should slow down. They were out grazing some today. Grass has started growing some already.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Another 2.5 inches so far today.
Never seen it this wet here this sand country is just mush.

I hauled two cow pairs to the sale barn Friday. I stuck the truck trying to pull away from the chute. Had to put the 1 ton in 4WD to pull the other truck out of to the drive. It is pretty bad when you get stuck on crushed limestone.

No power at the sale barn. Trees down everywhere. They ran off of generators. They couldn't post checks etc. Really glad I wasn't buying. Their computers kept giving them glitches but she had my tickets and my tickets were right. She said she'd mail my check after they were able to calculate commissions.

Yesterday I ran up to Chico, TX There were trees and limbs down everywhere from all the ice. It was pretty bad thru Peaster. You could tell the road had been blocked and someone was cutting and piling. Brush trucks with chippers all over the place.

Our ice on trees was bad, but not nearly as bad as places north and west of me.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:52 am

Roads are washed out both ways seen the Sheriff come through in a high water vehicle.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 pm

We got lucky. Only got about 1.2 inches from the front that tried to drown you all further south and west of us. It's muddy, and going to take a bit to dry up. Finally got some sun after 4 p.m. today and supposed to be sunny all day Tuesday. Temps are dropping though and we are supposed to get down to near freezing tonight and a for a few more nights. More like normal. Then rain forecast again for wed and/or Thurs. but maybe some sun for the weekend. Possible some snow on Thurs if it stays cold enough. CRAZY WEATHER
0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Roads are washed out both ways seen the Sheriff come through in a high water vehicle.

Dam CB,
Been watching the radar hammering on you and GB. It kept threatening us in South Louisiana but it would break up and slip Northward. Probably didn't get 1/4" in the lat week but didn't need it either. Grass popping out good. Cows ignoring the hay for now, but it's too early to bet on it.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Got a little over 5 inches, rain in the forecast next 7 out of ten days.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 am

From what I see in the 10 day forecast, the next spate of rainfall is not likely to be near as heavy as the last 2 were.

Tho it's just minor annoyance right now, the river beside me being up is causing problems for me in regards to drainage backups and I see that AHPS has abruptly modified the guidance since yesterday evening. Last evening, showed a smooth gradual curve slighly up and then leveling off for 36 hrs but now I see they added a big spike up to it.
(for contrast, Last Sept/Oct flood crest was at 27.1' so I'm in no danger)

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am

0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am

greybeard wrote:From what I see in the 10 day forecast, the next spate of rainfall is not likely to be near as heavy as the last 2 were.

Tho it's just minor annoyance right now, the river beside me being up is causing problems for me in regards to drainage backups and I see that AHPS has abruptly modified the guidance since yesterday evening. Last evening, showed a smooth gradual curve slighly up and then leveling off for 36 hrs but now I see they added a big spike up to it.

Bad as I hate to say this we need to dry out a little.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
greybeard wrote:From what I see in the 10 day forecast, the next spate of rainfall is not likely to be near as heavy as the last 2 were.

If it keeps this up, I am building an Ark. We need some sunshine and no, I don't hate saying it.
0 x
Diogenes.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:53 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

If it keeps this up, I am building an Ark. We need some sunshine and no, I don't hate saying it.

I agree we some sunshine for a few more days, and for the rain to space out some. I'm afraid we're going to get most of our rain this winter, and early spring, then turn off like faucet this summer when we need some.
1 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”