2018 Best States To Live

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 2018 Best States To Live

Postby farmguy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

It all depends on your criteria.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:As for the rest of the list and the rankings of the states, you might want to look at the demographics of the highest ranking states and draw your conclusions accordingly.

My list is based on my personal experiences. I acknowledge it may conflict with the rankings.

You have not ever lived in the south .. I can reasonably predict someone would have fed your body to the hogs is you did .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:1. Colorado is fantastic.
2. North Dakota is underrated. Very clean. The people are great.
3. Iowa is also underrated.
4. Wyoming. The only place where the old west still lives.
5. California has best climate just too many people. Wonder why? Good weather maybe!
6. The South is exactly what you think it is.
7. Montana is truly the Big Sky Country.
8. Kentucky has gone backwards. The conservative politics borders on dysfunctional. Just read the news! The predominant Republican politicians are either stealing or screwing some co-worker.

I'd say your problem is rooted in decades of Democratic leadership that will take years to unravel and repair but that's just me commenting as an unbiased outsider with no axe to grind.

The history of Democratic leadership does not explain the behavior of our current politicians. Have you been watching the news? Frankfort is a circus!

Frankfort has always been a circus.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:As for the rest of the list and the rankings of the states, you might want to look at the demographics of the highest ranking states and draw your conclusions accordingly.

My list is based on my personal experiences. I acknowledge it may conflict with the rankings.

You have not ever lived in the south .. I can reasonably predict someone would have fed your body to the hogs is you did .

Darryl. This is my opinion. I don't care whether you like it. I find that southerners are generally intolerant of ideas, values and philosophies that do not match their own. 8 times out of 10, it goes back to religious non-sense. Life is too short to waste on closeminded people.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:56 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
I'd say your problem is rooted in decades of Democratic leadership that will take years to unravel and repair but that's just me commenting as an unbiased outsider with no axe to grind.

The history of Democratic leadership does not explain the behavior of our current politicians. Have you been watching the news? Frankfort is a circus!

Frankfort has always been a circus.

It really has.
0 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Darryl. This is my opinion. I don't care whether you like it. I find that southerners are generally intolerant of ideas, values and philosophies that do not match their own. 8 times out of 10, it goes back to religious non-sense. Life is too short to waste on closeminded people.

So several million southerners are wrong and 1 kentickian is right?
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:42 pm

I was in a vocational skills competition back in the 90's and it seems like the smartest people were from Minnesota, Massachusetts and Utah based on how well they did.

Just an observation but it did seem like those states did the best in the skills that matter.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Logan52
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Logan52 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I think Kentucky gets a bad rap in these types of lists.
Good land that is affordable, decent climate and marketing channels that are readily available.
The "circus" comes from years of one party rule in Frankfort. A capital full of government employees of one party and a one-sided media make for the appearance of turmoil when ever the other side gets in. I know many of the current "ins" personally. They are good people trying to straighten out a mess that is not of their doing.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:03 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:

So several million southerners are wrong and 1 kentickian is right?

It is not a matter of being right. To prove if it is right would require a poll. It is my opinion. Just like 99 % of the stuff you post.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm

There was a computer program when I retired in 07. I have no clue of what the algorithms were. Arkansas and Ky came back as some of the best states to retire too.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Darryl,

Rarely can posts on this forum be called "facts". 99 % of what is posted is "commentary" or "opinion". Thus, on commentary or opinion, you cannot label it right or wrong. That is a judgement based on fact. Or for religious followers, the doctrine they follow.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Commentary: an expression of opinions or offering of explanations about an event or situation.

Fact: a thing that is indisputably the case.

Truth: that which is in accordance with fact or reality.
1 x
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:There was a computer program when I retired in 07. I have no clue of what the algorithms were. Arkansas and Ky came back as some of the best states to retire too.

I have seen Kentucky listed several times. The primary reason is because Kentucky has a formula that excludes most retirement annuity income. For example, I exclude about 80 percent of my federal annuity. Thus, it puts me below the threshold for paying a state income tax. That is a very attractive benefit for retirees.
0 x
Diogenes.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm just going to stay put right where I am. It's the best place for me. If I didn't think so I would have moved somewhere else long ago. Never understood why anyone would live in a place they disliked.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 pm

TexasBred wrote:I'm just going to stay put right where I am. It's the best place for me. If I didn't think so I would have moved somewhere else long ago. Never understood why anyone would live in a place they disliked.

It happens. I have a friend who I worked with in Helena, MT. He was about 4 years behind me. Raised near Mitchell, SD. He and his wife decided to move somewhere out of the northern winters. They retired to Florida in 2014. They hate it. (No offense M-5). But at 65, they are too deeply invested and age does not treat moving kindly. He tells me they made a mistake but not one that is easy to fix.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”