Tabasco Avery Island

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Tabasco Avery Island

Postby greybeard » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Been there a couple of times when I lived in New Iberia..before Hurricane Rita. They still grew lots of their own peppers at that time and still raise them but they are for the seeds to send to other countries for the most part. The pepper fields on the island are only about 20 acres, which means a LOT of seed. It ensures the peppers they import are of the same variety/strain they have always used. Beautiful place tho. The Buddhist temple looks out of place but is impressive in the gardens and among all the oaks.
Pepper fields are on the right..the green areas.
I've had lots of Tabasco Sauce..about the only thing that made C-Rats edible.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/taba ... tary-meals
"Island" in S. Louisiana and parts of East Texas coast just means a high ground.

trivia regarding one of the McIlhenny family and former CEO of that Tabasco company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Stauffer_McIlhenny
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 am

I took a bike trip down there and could smell the pepper sauce a mile away. I am a big pepper sauce fan, and Tabasco is the standard by how I judge all others.

I make my own sauces, and rarely, really never, buy sauce any more, but folks like to give me bottles of their finds. Touring that plant was a memory I will take to my grave. There is so much to admire in their world.

I was told during the tour they had set up a mirror operation somewhere in South America after one of the hurricanes. Their insurance company insisted on it as a condition of coverage.

Louisiana is blessed with so many good things, and all the pepper sauces they make down there is one of their greatest blessings.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Did you happen to also go to Holley Beach (near Cameron La) and smell the pogey plant too?
It will gag a maggot....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:54 pm

greybeard wrote:Did you happen to also go to Holley Beach (near Cameron La) and smell the pogey plant too?
It will gag a maggot....

It's been a few years since we unloaded in Hackberry, but the pogey plant was no more in Cameron. Had lots of fun at Holley Beach in the 80's.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Perhaps so. It was quite a few years ago since I worked offshore and left from the Cameron docks.
Yep, had good times at Holey Beach too...the Cajun Riviera. (lots of tarballs on the wet sand last time I was there tho) Pretty sure Hurricane Rita took out the little shacks that served as bars right on the beach tho.
I worked on one of the rigs that drilled the West Hackberry Strategic Petroleum Reserve back in the late 70s-early 80s..leaching out salt from the dome so they could store crude oil.
SKEETERS!! They could easily straddle a quarter dollar
1 x

Covet Not!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

Our favorite hot sauce is *ss Blaster. Tabasco is dull, lacks a lot of flavor but we like HOT stuff. One our favorite uses of heat is homemade BBQ with pureed ghost peppers simmered into it.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri May 04, 2018 3:46 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:Our favorite hot sauce is *ss Blaster. Tabasco is dull, lacks a lot of flavor but we like HOT stuff. One our favorite uses of heat is homemade BBQ with pureed ghost peppers simmered into it.

Y'all need to try the Carolina reaper then...might curb your enthusiasm.https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -to-the-er
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”