Loggers

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Loggers

Postby jehosofat » Tue May 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Looking at a 50 acre tract of land for sale, mostly pine and a few hardwoods along the creek. Price is CHEAP, but the timber has already been contracted out. Timber contract calls for 300 cords of wood removed. Roughly how much is that on 50 acres? I know there are a lot of variables, but just a rough idea.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Loggers

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm

That'd be about 6 cords an acre or a little more than a half a load per acre which would would be a light thinning here. Any more than 34 loads removed and I'd be concerned but it all boils down to what the contract says.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 pm

150,000-200,000 board foot, depend on which scale..
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Jogeephus wrote:That'd be about 6 cords an acre or a little more than a half a load per acre which would would be a light thinning here. Any more than 34 loads removed and I'd be concerned but it all boils down to what the contract says.

That's what I was hoping, the landowner has passed and I'm dealing with the estate. Only thing that bothers me is the time they have, still almost 18 months left on contract for them to get it. I am going to try and renegotiate the contract with the timber company to get it clear cut except for the hardwoods.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 08, 2018 1:07 pm

What are they supposed to be cutting? 300 cords of what? Is it marked? Is it being sold by the load or did they pay up front? Lots of things to consider.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue May 08, 2018 2:35 pm

They have paid up front for 300 cords, give or take a load or two. It was sold as a thinning, pine only. All of the pine is about the same size. The trees to be thinned are not marked, they are supposed to evenly thin the entire tract. I would guess that the pine is about 35 acres of it, about 15 in hardwood which they are not supposed to touch.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 pm

On paper this sounds like it would be alright. In practice I see a lot of holes in it. Hope the logging outfit is aboveboard.
0 x

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 am

I have not found a logger in my area that's even close to honest, they'll screw you 9 ways to Sunday
4 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 am

jehosofat wrote: I am going to try and renegotiate the contract with the timber company to get it clear cut except for the hardwoods.

I wish you luck with that. It almost has to be an individual to negotiate select cutting in north east Texas Companies won't go it.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 am

If only pine and no hardwood there will not be much compensation for them. Like said before most loggers, especially on an open end contract like this will help themselves. If it is in the contract no hardwood I would watch that closely if any is good.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed May 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Txpiney wrote:I have not found a logger in my area that's even close to honest, they'll screw you 9 ways to Sunday

What you say is doubly true here...i used the one with the best reputation and came recommended from a few folks and it was still an absolute shyt show.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Yech!
the estate gets the $$....the loggers get the trees and you get the mess they leave minus whatever they could steal behind your back?
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 pm

greybeard wrote:Yech!
the estate gets the $$....the loggers get the trees and you get the mess they leave minus whatever they could steal behind your back?

They can have it all, if I can turn it into pasture cheap.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 am

bball wrote:
Txpiney wrote:I have not found a logger in my area that's even close to honest, they'll screw you 9 ways to Sunday

What you say is doubly true here...i used the one with the best reputation and came recommended from a few folks and it was still an absolute shyt show.

yep.. I hired a forester and he tried to sell my whole tract for 50k. I called his bullsh!t on him and he stood there speechless.

I ended up selling it to a guy who owned a local sawmill. He harvested about 2/3's of it and got 195k.

wow.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 am

If they gave it to you after a clear cut then you would be out bokoo dollars turning it into pasture. Might try to find a place ready to go and buy it instant use without waiting years to get the place up and going.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”